Speculation: 2018 Off-season Thread #2

Player most likely to end up on another team before preseason?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Etch

Relegate the Oilers
Jun 1, 2011
Moncton, NB
I hate the Strome pick just as much as the next guy, but now is not the time to trade him.

His numbers actually aren't as bad as you'd think based on the rep he has around these boards... He still dominated his last couple years of Junior, and last year really was only his first year pro - he was still above a ppg player as an AHL rookie, and even threw up a ~40 pt pace for the brief time he spent with the big club.

This should be the year we get a real read on Strome and what he may be capable of in the NHL. Either that or he dominates the AHL. We waited this long, why trade him right before he's finally ready?

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Talking period is officially open. Based on Chayka's comments, I bet we're looking for wings.

Some quick thoughts:

Rick Nash, lazy do not want
Filppula, too old
Neal, if the price is right
JVR, if the term is right
Perron, I like him but he's coming off a career yr
Komarov, not what we're looking for
Stempniak, if there's nothing else
Comeau, ehhhh
Calvert, ehh need to 6 guys
Maroon, slow and I think he's going back to Oilers
Kunitz, he looks done
Vanek, why cant he keep a job?
Versteeg, cant stay healthy
Grabner, is he good outside of NYR?
Riley Nash, buyer beware

Last edited:

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
My pick to pursue...
Martin Frk. 24, 6'1, 194 lbs, RHS, 25 points in 68 games in his first lengthy NHL season. Probably not a top 6, but could potentially improve (compared to the other UFAs)

I wouldn't mind giving Comeau or Calvert a shot. We aren't going to be a "traditional" 4 line team, so having players that can play up and down and around the lineup may be worth a shot.

Last edited:

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
I don’t think the free agent “legal tampering” period opens until Wednesday.

Edit: Well I guess I don’t even know. I’ve seen “27th-30th” and “24th-30th” listed on different sites.

Last edited:

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Talking period is officially open. Based on Chayka's comments, I bet we're looking for wings.

Some quick thoughts:

We need a guy who can play top six wing, and another vet for the bottom six who is good for 10-20 in the bottom-six so we have a roster full of NHL players, not tweeeners.
Also, given Chayka's new love for the "optionality" metric, I wouldn't count out any of the centers available either. Especially swing guys lower in the lineup like Brodziak, Winnik, Calvert, Filppula, etc. It's a long list.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
What about Skinner? Would he fit in with this group?

Don't think so playstyle wise. Also expensive for his 50 point ish production. Plus acquisition cost in trade.

I'd much, much rather sign one of the FA wingers.

Reactions: Jakey53

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Around 19:30 of this Podcast, Elliotte Friedman mentions he believes we inquired about ROR but said "I'm not sure if that's what they're gonna do."

31 Thoughts: The Podcast - Sportsnet.ca
I listened to this entire pod this morning patiently waiting for them to talk about the Hayton reach. It got about 2 seconds mention. Oh well, I drank two espressos and chiefed a very nice Gurkha.

Reactions: RABBIT

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I'm not a big Skinner guy, but I'd still pay a ton for O'Reilly. I'd have to think Dvorak is involved because 1) we already put him on the table in that Minny deal and 2) you're basically hoping Dvorak becomes ROR.

Dvorak + something?? + 2019 conditional 1st?

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I'm not a big Skinner guy, but I'd still pay a ton for O'Reilly. I'd have to think Dvorak is involved because 1) we already put him on the table in that Minny deal and 2) you're basically hoping Dvorak becomes ROR.

Dvorak + something?? + 2019 conditional 1st?
I doubt Dvorak was put on the table by the Coyotes. I don't doubt Minnesoata asked for him and expect it was the reason for the no go from Chayka.

Reactions: Mosby

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it
Chayka drops the hammer on the Athletic again.
CHAYKA REFUTES DVORAK REPORT
A recent report from The Athletic suggested the Coyotes were engaged in trade discussions to send Max Domi to the Minnesota Wild. Coyotes GM John Chayka was talking with several teams prior to trading Domi to the Montreal Canadiens for Alex Galchenyuk, but he refuted the portion of the report from The Athletic that said center Christian Dvorak, 22, was part of those talks with the Wild.

“Dvorak was never discussed,” Chayka said. “Not accurate.”

For a team wanting to stockpile young centers, such a deal would have made little sense. Dvorak, the team’s second-round pick in 2012 (No. 58) had 15 goals and 37 points in 2017-18, his second NHL season.

Chayka tenders offers to 6 RFAs; Elkin departs; Dvorak report refuted

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Vegas paper says Neal turned down a 5x5 extension offer. He's looking for 6x6.

I like Neal but I would not go 6x6 for him. He's just too old to command that sort of term.

If that's the sort of number he's looking for, scratch him off our UFA list.

Reactions: Lilhoody

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
With Tavares having Toronto on his final list, boy I hope they sign him to the most ridiculous contract and makes Mathews expandable. Mathews has stated how much he wants to be here and play here. Fingers crossed for a Toronto/Tavares marriage.

Last edited:

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
With Tavares having Toronto in his final list boy I hope they sign him to the most ridiculous contract and makes Mathews expandable. Mathews has stated how much he wants to be here and play here. Fingers crossed for a Toronto/Tavares marriage.

I would go smash up Babcock's car if I was Matthews. Force that trade the moment he finds out Tavares is locked in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad