Speculation: 2018 Off-season Thread #2

Player most likely to end up on another team before preseason?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
If you had your choice at these three, what one would you pick?

Ryan O’Riely
Phil Kessel
Artemi Panarin

ROR-Panarin
-

Kessel

However, since the price on the first two will be obscene, I'd sort of like us to keep our ear on the ground with Pittsburgh more than I'd want to pony up for the first twom

Reactions: Jakey53

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Kessel would be the cheapest to obtain, ROR is the best fit (assuming we move Strome for him) and Panarin is the most explosive player out of that group and fits our age range the best. In a dream world where we have unlimited buget, Panarin. In a realistic sense I'd take Kessel. ROR is such an all around impactful player but I want to see what our center depth looks like with Strome and Chucky first. I feel like adding ROR by moving Strome gives us a much smaller window to be competitive, unless Strome were to bust completely.

Reactions: rt

FinnishCoyote

Jan 3, 2017
If we acquire ROR, our center depth would be amazing. Stepan, ROR, Dvorak, Galchenyuk and Kruger

I'm assuming that Strome is the piece going other way, if we trade for ROR

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I think that ROR is at the top of my list. We have been week at center for so very long I would overload the position if I could.

What are you going to give up? It would be this years 5OA, Strome +++++. Not worth it.

If we acquire ROR, our center depth would be amazing. Stepan, ROR, Dvorak, Galchenyuk and Kruger

I'm assuming that Strome is the piece going other way, if we trade for ROR

It would take a hell of a lot more than Strome.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Dahlin
Svechnikov
Zadina
Wahlstrom
Tkachuk
Hughes
Bouchard
Kotkaniemi

I could go down to eight with the right return. No further in my mind; that's where my tier ends. Too bad NYR are just outside the range because they have the extra picks to make it happen.

Reactions: BUX7PHX

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Too bad NYR are just outside the range because they have the extra picks to make it happen.

Chicago has another first and they are sitting at 8. I dunno that 3 spots is worth #27 but we could package some stuff together or take on the cap dump contract.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Chicago isn't as willing to move their one extra late first as NYR would be to move one of their two late first. I imagine, anyway.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I'm not really opposed to taking Hossa.

but if it's Hossa, 8, 27 for 5 and whatever, I'd just as soon take my guy instead of the leftover on my list.

Reactions: doaner and hbk

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
So we need about $2M to hit the floor. Have two defensemen and a forward or two to add probably, so no need for dead space, but it still doesn't hurt us.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
That's exactly what I mean. The fact that he doesnt want to extend now means we give up big assets for potentially 1 year of panarin.
Well, you simply Doan do the deal if you can't get an agreement for more, otherwise you're in the same boat as Columbus. Doan matter anyway, chance we'd be able to acquire him are slim to none.

Reactions: Jakey53

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Moot point after the Galchenyuk trade, but apparently this was close to being a thing:

The Athletic said:
But The Athletic has learned that last weekend before Max Domi was traded from the Arizona Coyotes to the Montreal Canadiens for Alex Galchenyuk, Fenton and Coyotes GM John Chayka did talk about a framework that would send Niederreiter and Zucker to Arizona for Domi and another forward believed to be center Christian Dvorak.

One caveat: It’s likely that the Coyotes would have had to take Tyler Ennis, who has one more year left on his contract at a $4.6 million cap hit.

The trade, if it was consummated, would have freed up a significant amount of cap space for subsequent Wild moves either via trade or free agency.

Don't often get to hear about the ones that didn't happen.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Hmm. I like Zucker. Nino too, but his contract is kind of stupid. I'd hate to move Dvo for either.

Still, knowing Dvo could be on the table for other deals is interesting. Thanks for sharing!

Edit: Assuming a ~5 mil extension for Zucker, this deal would have seen us take on 11 mil in salary. Kind of blows a hole into the theory that we're broke.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I must be missing something, because Nino, Zucker (when signed), and Ennis is like $13m or more coming in with 2 ELCs going out. Doesn't seem super plausible.
Dunno if there was more to it or what, but Russo's usually pretty scrupulous about getting a few sources on stuff like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad