2018 NHL Entry Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Shero: "We did so well the previous year by selecting an offensive defenseman with a weak defensive game that we need to completely rebuild in Joe Morrow, so let's draft his teammate with the same issues even higher this time!"

I remember standing in my living room on the phone with a friend who was also a draft junkie after the Staal deal went down and we both were just giddy with excitement. Our pick came and both of our guys were there. He was saying, "We are going to draft Forsberg!" I said, "We're going to Trouba!" The pick comes down and we sat in silence for a solid 3 mins before saying, "What in the f*** just happened?"

Derick Pouliot was an awful pick at the time and it looks even more awful now with the careers Forsberg and Trouba both have had.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I remember standing in my living room on the phone with a friend who was also a draft junkie after the Staal deal went down and we both were just giddy with excitement. Our pick came and both of our guys were there. He was saying, "We are going to draft Forsberg!" I said, "We're going to Trouba!" The pick comes down and we sat in silence for a solid 3 mins before saying, "What in the **** just happened?"

Derick Pouliot was an awful pick at the time and it looks even more awful now with the careers Forsberg and Trouba both have had.

I remember that feeling of not hearing Forsberg or I think it was Gregorinko I also liked at the time. I was heart broken. I had this sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach. Then I had to listen to Washington draft Forsberg.

Then the announcers were pretty stoked for the Pens to also get Maatta so I was happy there I guess. But then I looked at the gluttony of defense we had at the time both in NHL players and prospects and was just sour. I mean sour. Sid needed a wing so f***ing bad...still blows my mind to this day.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I remember standing in my living room on the phone with a friend who was also a draft junkie after the Staal deal went down and we both were just giddy with excitement. Our pick came and both of our guys were there. He was saying, "We are going to draft Forsberg!" I said, "We're going to Trouba!" The pick comes down and we sat in silence for a solid 3 mins before saying, "What in the **** just happened?"

Same for me. It was especially gut wrenching because at the time the Pens were just screaming for an elite forward prospect like Forsberg. The guy was rated Top 3 in the draft, and when he fell to the 8th spot and I heard that Shero made that trade to acquire it, I thought it was basically the perfect scenario.

And then Pouliot happened.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I remember that feeling of not hearing Forsberg or I think it was Gregorinko I also liked at the time. I was heart broken. I had this sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach. Then I had to listen to Washington draft Forsberg.

Then the announcers were pretty stoked for the Pens to also get Maatta so I was happy there I guess. But then I looked at the gluttony of defense we had at the time both in NHL players and prospects and was just sour. I mean sour. Sid needed a wing so ****ing bad...still blows my mind to this day.

I was a big Trouba fan just because we were having such a hard time on defense and Trouba seemed like that guy who would be in a Pens sweater forever.

I wasn't completely sold on Forsberg at the time, but he has since proven me wrong. The hilarity of that deal is we pulled Matt Murray and Maatta out of that draft so it was a resounding success by any standard. Two young 20-somethings who have helped this team win 2 Cups. It could have been a draft for the ages though.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Forsberg wasn't a doable thing for Shero at the time. Swedish winger? No way.
Trouba was atleast a Shero type pick being an American and a D-Man but seemed they fell in love with Pouliot while keeping tabs on Morrow.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Forsberg wasn't a doable thing for Shero at the time. Swedish winger? No way.
Trouba was atleast a Shero type pick being an American and a D-Man but seemed they fell in love with Pouliot while keeping tabs on Morrow.

Yeah, definitely bizarre.

I feel like our scouting staff is always trying to go off the board instead of making the logical pick. Staal is the perfect example of that.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
The Staal pick panned out very nicely, thank you very much. If only all of our picks worked out like that.

I usually get a man-crush on a player or two at this time of the year, anticipating the draft, and this year it's Semyon Der-Arguchintsev. I would love it if he is still around in Round 2 for us.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
The Staal pick panned out very nicely, thank you very much. If only all of our picks worked out like that.

I think you have to separate "worked out nicely" and "was he the BPA".

Extreme example, but it would be like if the Pens drafted Bobby Ryan instead of Crosby, went on to win 1 Cup with Ryan, and saying "worked out nicely" when evaluating whether or not the Pens took the BPA.

Reactions: Peat

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

Just remember that Derrick Pouliot was instrumental in handing out juice boxes to back 2 back winning cup teams, what has Forsberg and Trouba done?

NOTHING!

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I think you have to separate "worked out nicely" and "was he the BPA".

Extreme example, but it would be like if the Pens drafted Bobby Ryan instead of Crosby, went on to win 1 Cup with Ryan, and saying "worked out nicely" when evaluating whether or not the Pens took the BPA.

GM's (and heads of scouting) get fired all the time in constant search of the BPA. The BPA matters little years down the line...results do. Staal helped us become a powerhouse very quickly, two finals appearances and one Cup. Then, he turned into Dumoulin and Bonino and a pick. More cups.

Would Pittsburgh have drafted Staal had they NOT already Crosby and Malkin? We'll never know, but my gut tells me no. Had we gotten Ovi instead of Geno, again maybe not. Had we not won the big Crosby derby? Maybe not.

It is hard to argue that Staal was NOT the best No. 3 center option in the entire NHL at the time he was selected. And for many years, he was just that. He performed as good as expected in the role he was drafted to play.

Like I said before, I wish all picks would pan out like that one. Oh, and years later our current GM got Kessel from that draft, too...win-win.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
GM's (and heads of scouting) get fired all the time in constant search of the BPA. The BPA matters little years down the line...results do. Staal helped us become a powerhouse very quickly, two finals appearances and one Cup. Then, he turned into Dumoulin and Bonino and a pick. More cups.

Would Pittsburgh have drafted Staal had they NOT already Crosby and Malkin? We'll never know, but my gut tells me no. Had we gotten Ovi instead of Geno, again maybe not. Had we not won the big Crosby derby? Maybe not.

It is hard to argue that Staal was NOT the best No. 3 center option in the entire NHL at the time he was selected. And for many years, he was just that. He performed as good as expected in the role he was drafted to play.

Like I said before, I wish all picks would pan out like that one. Oh, and years later our current GM got Kessel from that draft, too...win-win.

Pretty sure we would have been okay if they'd drafted Toews or Backstrom for that 3C role, but we're getting into hypotheticals that can't be proven now.

Overall, my point is that you can't judge whether a player was the best choice at that spot based on success the team may have had with him on it.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Pretty sure we would have been okay if they'd drafted Toews or Backstrom for that 3C role, but we're getting into hypotheticals that can't be proven now.

Overall, my point is that you can't judge whether a player was the best choice at that spot based on success the team may have had with him on it.

I never said he was the best choice. I said he worked out nicely. Who cares if he was the best choice, so long as he was a good choice.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Has Pouliot faired any better in Vancouver?

Better than he was doing here, certainly, although that's a low bar. Better enough to feel any regret? The correct answer is who cares, its happened, but fwiw - 2nd in team D for points and corsi (on 2nd most PP time), but most sheltered dman in zone starts and worse +/- (but with godawful PDO). So... left handed 15-16 Schultz? He will at least start in the league next year, so he's got that going for him.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Has Pouliot faired any better in Vancouver?
He was playing the most sheltered minutes I have ever seen anyone play.

And even then, the guy was an absolute abomination defensively. Like I'd rather have Hunwick over him.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Better than he was doing here, certainly, although that's a low bar. Better enough to feel any regret? The correct answer is who cares, its happened, but fwiw - 2nd in team D for points and corsi (on 2nd most PP time), but most sheltered dman in zone starts and worse +/- (but with godawful PDO). So... left handed 15-16 Schultz? He will at least start in the league next year, so he's got that going for him.

You sure about that? From what I recall, he started off decent with Vancouver, but his play faded very quickly and resulted in some healthy scratches because of the same reasons he was a train wreck here.

I don't think it's a guarantee he's in their starting six this October.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I wonder if we could get as much as a 2nd for Sheary. With what Tatar went for that seems reasonable.

Even if not I’d take a couple later picks for him, like a 3rd and a 5th.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
You sure about that? From what I recall, he started off decent with Vancouver, but his play faded very quickly and resulted in some healthy scratches because of the same reasons he was a train wreck here.

I don't think it's a guarantee he's in their starting six this October.

I suppose I'm not sure about that when it comes to it but since most of their defence is a train wreck, I figure they'll at least keep the guy who can compensate for it on occasion by sending it the other way. He's certainly on an NHL roster, maybe on the team? He was their 6th most trusted dman going by ice time so he's the most at risk if they bring someone in.

I wonder if we could get as much as a 2nd for Sheary. With what Tatar went for that seems reasonable.

If Ryan Hartman went for a 1st, it does reasonable. Just worried they'll see product of Sid.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
A team like the Oilers would be completely interested in Sheary for so many reasons. They'd give up a 2nd for him.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007

I think a 3 and 5 is about right. Could maybe get a 2nd at the deadline.

sovietsanta87

Jan 3, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA

And Brassard haha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad