2018 NHL Entry Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Haven't read much on the draft this year. Anyone worth trading up for that meets a long-term need for us? D?
yep, there are 13-14 demen that could go in the first round. 5 are rightys 4 of the are over 6'-0'', 4 of the leftys are over 6'-0'' and out of them all there are 3-4 of them that should be able to start on the big club by Christmas. :)

JBose7

Jun 7, 2013
yep, there are 13-14 demen that could go in the first round. 5 are rightys 4 of the are over 6'-0'', 4 of the leftys are over 6'-0'' and out of them all there are 3-4 of them that should be able to start on the big club by Christmas. :)
Ryan Merkley.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Ryan Merkley.
he could be a good one, (less brain than tanger) along with some others....all depends on how high of pick we would get, and what we are looking for. imo ….I don't think he would be ready for the pen's next yr. if your looking for someone that would.

Last edited:

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
side note; n. hague won chl defenseman of the year...…...for all those who had him going to the pen's before they traded down.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
I'd be surprised if Dobson is still there. His profile has risen since the Memorial Cup. Our defence could really use a guy like him though.

Like mentioned before, agreed and agreed
Dobson is going in the top 10 for sure
I'm actually pretty sure he will be gone by 7
So unless we can get a top pick (Arizona) we aren't getting him IMO

Reactions: BHD

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
I'd be curious to see if we package 53 + 64 to move up a bit. Maybe into the high 20's/low 30's.
It will depends on whos still there ofc. But i think i rather make the 2 picks. The cupboard is really empty atm.

That Said, i would love for us to somehow get a 1st round pick or an early 2nd, while still keeping the rest of out picks.

Reactions: Peat

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Could see JR trying to offload Sheary at this draft for picks. I don't see him getting what he'd want in a player for player trade for him but teams that want to get faster and have the cap room, i can easily see them taking Sheary off JR's hands for something in the 2nd(potentially) to high 3rd's, etc.

JR does have to unload some cash and Hags, i doubt, is going anywhere and Hunwick is tougher to move. Clearing Sheary's contract also gives JR some breathing room in the signing of RFA's + shopping in the lower market in FA'y.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Could see JR trying to offload Sheary at this draft for picks. I don't see him getting what he'd want in a player for player trade for him but teams that want to get faster and have the cap room, i can easily see them taking Sheary off JR's hands for something in the 2nd(potentially) to high 3rd's, etc.

JR does have to unload some cash and Hags, i doubt, is going anywhere and Hunwick is tougher to move. Clearing Sheary's contract also gives JR some breathing room in the signing of RFA's + shopping in the lower market in FA'y.
I like a second but not so much a 3rd......how many 3rd rounders turn out better than sheary?....for that matter how many 2nd rounders?

The GM

Jun 7, 2012
The only thing I know for sure will happen at the draft with our picks is our scouts will have rated the pick much higher and will be surprised the player was still available when their turn came up

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
The only thing I know for sure will happen at the draft with our picks is our scouts will have rated the pick much higher and will be surprised the player was still available when their turn came up

Lol...and also that player will be rated by the national scouting services at least two rounds BELOW what we picked him at....

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Lol...and also that player will be rated by the national scouting services at least two rounds BELOW what we picked him at....

I for one eagerly* await them using a 3rd rounder to pick a guy who wasn't even rated by them at all.

*"eagerly".

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
They rookie would have to get past Sullivan for that to happen. Although with Cole and Reaves gone, and Kessel potentially leaving, he will need a new player to run out of town. A rookie would be an easy target for him.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
They rookie would have to get past Sullivan for that to happen. Although with Cole and Reaves gone, and Kessel potentially leaving, he will need a new player to run out of town. A rookie would be an easy target for him.
sorry! that's something I failed to consider. :)
edit; he has already picked Sprong for that ...can't have the kid make him look bad for not playing him during the playoffs.

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA

Corey Pronman had a good article about draft boards on The Athletic that covered the tendency of scouts to say that. Basically it comes down to this: once you get past the top of the first round, most draft boards are completely different from one team to the next. Teams may have only around 100 prospects (or fewer!) on their draft boards in some cases, and still won't reach the bottom of it when they make their last pick. So teams pretty much always end up rating the prospect higher than where they picked them once you get into the middle rounds.

Key quote from overall good article:
People who do real work on players, really break them down and have real opinions will not tend to conform to how the public thinks a draft board should look. I always say, if the public saw what most NHL team lists looked like, they would go crazy. I’ve been lucky enough to know NHL people who share that kind of information with me, and they also share similar experiences that 50s/60s on their boards is where their last picks tend to be.
Link (paywall): Pronman: How NHL draft boards work

Reactions: Peat

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Corey Pronman had a good article about draft boards on The Athletic that covered the tendency of scouts to say that. Basically it comes down to this: once you get past the top of the first round, most draft boards are completely different from one team to the next. Teams may have only around 100 prospects (or fewer!) on their draft boards in some cases, and still won't reach the bottom of it when they make their last pick. So teams pretty much always end up rating the prospect higher than where they picked them once you get into the middle rounds.

there are always "groups" of players where players are ranked so close that it depends on the days they were scouted. and being limited on time, space, no. of scouts they can't see them all the time.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
One name I hope drops is Jacob Olofsson. He's rated high 2nd but could go late 1st. Good Swedish center that plays a good all around game with decent size.

2012 - Ray Shero's Board

#1 - Derrick Pouliot
#2 - Pouliot if available
#3 - Pouliot if he's still there
#4 - I like Derrick Pouliot
#5 - Pouliot Derrickson

Was almost as if he didn't even understand who the other 200 players in the draft were...or that he was even the GM of the Penguins at the time. It was like his grandson threw jelly on a name at random and he picked it.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
2012 - Ray Shero's Board

#1 - Derrick Pouliot
#2 - Pouliot if available
#3 - Pouliot if he's still there
#4 - I like Derrick Pouliot
#5 - Pouliot Derrickson

Was almost as if he didn't even understand who the other 200 players in the draft were...or that he was even the GM of the Penguins at the time. It was like his grandson threw jelly on a name at random and he picked it.

Shero: "We did so well the previous year by selecting an offensive defenseman with a weak defensive game that we need to completely rebuild in Joe Morrow, so let's draft his teammate with the same issues even higher this time!"

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Pretty much. Every year I used to come up with a list of players I hope the Pens take, and every year they'd pass on them to take some obscure name that I know nothing about.

There are two very big defensemen that I really want this team to pick. If we can add another 2nd rounder, I would take both.

Mattias Samuelsson & K'Andre Miller.

Otherwise, I hope we have less of the Hall & Lauzon type turds.

Doogle

Jun 8, 2010
I think the ideal get for a draft pick this year, would be an eventual replacement for Letang. A defenseman who can play 25 minutes a game, in all situations. In a perfect world of course. And I have to admit my ignorance on the individual prospects, but in general I'd be looking at players who already do that... even if they come from obscure leagues. Stop trying to find guys that are safer bets but bottom pairing guys. Draft that guy who plays 30 a night for some tiny college or from some random European league.... swing for the fences. The Lauzons and Halls of the world are never going to reach that peak. We need to find that diamond in the rough

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->