2018 NHL Entry Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I know Jesse hopes Alexeyev falls.
If JR did manage to score a middle 1st, i'd like Dobson.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think the best case scenario is that the Penguins pick up another 2nd or 3rd rounder with trading a roster player, I don't think they're going to get a 1st. The D prospect pool does suck right now, but they have a lot of D prospects. They've basically been following the "draft as many D as you can" strategy for the last 2 drafts. In the last 2 drafts, the Penguins have taken 8 defensemen, 2 wingers, 1 center and 1 goalie, and you've already lost the goalie and one of the defensemen. Their D prospect pool isn't good, but they have D prospects.

I think they just need to go BPA at all of their picks. They have a bunch of okay or better D prospects and F prospects, the only thing they're really lacking in the organization is goalie prospects and actually good prospects. Bellerive and Sprong are probably the only 2 good prospects they have left in their system, maybe Riikola too (but he's marginally a prospect), I don't consider Jarry or ZAR prospects anymore.

Reactions: Peat

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
What Empo said.

If they want to slant towards anything, I'd rather they slanted towards overagers and the physically mature in the hope of getting players sooner rather than later in this limited window than any actual position.

That or boom & bust - we've got a decent pipeline and farm system in terms of squeezing solid yeoman out, and can supplement them from college. Real high end prospects like Bellerive and Sprong that can make a big difference are where we're falling short.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
Im with the above poster.
We should go for older players. At least then they might be able to contribute before Sid/Geno regresses too much.
And we all know a few dark years will come after their prime. So might as well go for players that might help before that.

As i Said on page one. I really hope we can grab Logan Hutsko. Hes a few months younger than Mittlestadt, and Hutsko had 1 more point last season when both were freshmen.

I know points are not everything, but that production is nothing to sneeze at.

Reactions: Peat

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
I know Jesse hopes Alexeyev falls.
If JR did manage to score a middle 1st, i'd like Dobson.

With the way he played in the playoffs and Memorial Cup combined with his solid season, he will be gone way before that
I see him drafted in the top 7 to be honest, at #4 or 5 but I don't see how he drops that far
We would need the Coyotes pick (#5)

AverageJoeFan

Mad cat
Feb 15, 2018
Pittsburgh
Without a 1st round pick, I think the Pens go goalie in the 2nd. After that, I hope they take a chance or two on speed. Whether that is D or O, speed with the ability to learn other things. I feel like teachable items such as positioning or system can happen over time. You can't teach natural speed or size.

Really looking to see if GMJR makes a trade to grab a 1st rounder. Not sure who or how. But it will be interesting to see what happens.

Aug 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
I hope they don't go goalie in the second round, but they have been striking gold in the second and third round for goalies lately. Defense is a much bigger need, but at the end of the day they will probably go BPA, and that's fine. There are plenty of future needs to consider with D and C being the most glaring so I would like to see focus there if they consider drafting for need at all.

Ideally they start looking towards life after Crosby/Malkin and can hopefully avoid what happened post Jagr and crew. A rebuild on the fly, without sacrificing what they have now. They need to start towing that Win now/Build for the future line and try to avoid losing 1st round picks or maybe add some 2nd/3rd picks where possible. In an ideal world Sheary and Hunwick are moved for either serviceable players or prospects and picks to free up cap space, but that's a pipe dream.

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Given how few prospects pan out outside of the first round (and even when you include the later parts of the first...) always go best player available.
I wouldn't be surprised if the Pens end up loading up on defensemen again simply because it seems like I keep reading about interesting defensemen who should end up in the second round or later.

Of course, now that I've said that, watch them end up drafting a ton of wings and goalies just to spite me.

Burn

Mar 24, 2018
Wouldn't mind seeing more Minnesota born/ trained players. Theyre usually well schooled and have a good attitude. Plenty of Minnesota talent in the 2nd 3rd and 4th rounds.

JBose7

Jun 7, 2013
I hope they draft the European and Russian players because i think they have a lot of unknown potential. Go for the most high ceiling player available pick

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I'm really starting to pick up steam on the Sean Durzi wagon as well.

Looks like a doable pick. I'm down.

With the way he played in the playoffs and Memorial Cup combined with his solid season, he will be gone way before that
I see him drafted in the top 7 to be honest, at #4 or 5 but I don't see how he drops that far
We would need the Coyotes pick (#5)

He probably goes in the 1st rd, yea.

Star67

Nov 17, 2017
We are about a month out from the draft, might as well have a thread up.

It looks like the Penguins have the 53rd (2nd round), 64th (3rd round), 129th (5th round), 146th (5th round), 177th (6th round), 208th (7th round).

What do you all want to see? Expect to see?

At Pick 53 : Hoping for one of Adam Ginning/Filip Johansson/Slava Demin/Ty Dellandrea

At Pick 64 : Cam Hillis/Sean Durzi/Ty Emberson

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
I'm hoping Kaut falls to the Pens...but probably wishful thinking. He probably goes round 1.

Matej Pekar would be a nice pick imo. Definitely will be there in round 2 or even round 3.

Burn

Mar 24, 2018
I thought he would drop but I would love to see the Pens target Niklas Nordgren. Kind of has some Zuccurello to his game.

Filip Hallander is good too. Tons of skill.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
if we can move up via trade...i'm looking at bouchard 6-2 190 lbs rd or Dobson 6-3.... 18o lbs ...rd. I think both have a chance to end up with the big team next yr. might not be the best way to go but. :)

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
All I care about is that we draft Liam Kirk.

I don't understand people that put stock int othe draft combine and talk about it as if it is gospel to how they will perform.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I think the best case scenario is that the Penguins pick up another 2nd or 3rd rounder with trading a roster player, I don't think they're going to get a 1st. The D prospect pool does suck right now, but they have a lot of D prospects. They've basically been following the "draft as many D as you can" strategy for the last 2 drafts. In the last 2 drafts, the Penguins have taken 8 defensemen, 2 wingers, 1 center and 1 goalie, and you've already lost the goalie and one of the defensemen. Their D prospect pool isn't good, but they have D prospects.

I think they just need to go BPA at all of their picks. They have a bunch of okay or better D prospects and F prospects, the only thing they're really lacking in the organization is goalie prospects and actually good prospects. Bellerive and Sprong are probably the only 2 good prospects they have left in their system, maybe Riikola too (but he's marginally a prospect), I don't consider Jarry or ZAR prospects anymore.

Bingo.

Just take the best players. Always.

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
I thought he would drop but I would love to see the Pens target Niklas Nordgren.

I can't be the only one who sees that name and has a moment of cognitive dissonance... I keep thinking he was already a Penguin, and then remembering he can't be the same guy that the Pens got for Mark Recchi!

Reactions: Burn
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->