2018 NHL Entry Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmartin65

Apr 7, 2011
We are about a month out from the draft, might as well have a thread up.

It looks like the Penguins have the 53rd (2nd round), 64th (3rd round), 129th (5th round), 146th (5th round), 177th (6th round), 208th (7th round).

What do you all want to see? Expect to see?

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
With their first pick at 53, it's pretty much a crap shoot for all of them. The cupboard obviously needs to be restacked with D, but with those picks, they'll probably just go for BPA.

I think many here would like to see 58 or 81 gone for a first and more, but I seriously doubt either will happen.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Take a better prospect than Lauzon, who was the safer , wrong choice.

We have no problem taking chances in the 5th round, and we hit on those.

Start doing that earlier.

We basically have the same pick we did last year after that trade(missing out on some solid prospects). Id look to move up to late first , early second to make up for that. Talent drops off right around where we pick , just like last year. When picks 20-40 or so are right around the same.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
A couple dmen, maybe some forwards, and a midpack goaltender.

I don't expect any to work out.

Matsun

Aug 15, 2010
My dream is Bulat Shafigullin or Nils Lundqvist in the second round, after that take dmen like a mad man.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
Id like for us to take a shot at Logan Hutsko from Boston college.

Passed over in last years draft, probably due to injury as he only played a handful of games in his draft year.
This season be led his team in points a a freshman with 31 points in 37 games.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
with out a pick in the first round I'm lost. I don't know enough about that many players ranked lower. and even if we had a first rounder I would end up falling in love with a kid only to see him picked right before us, or we would pick someone else making me even more angry than I would have any right to be. also the farther down we pick there is no way of knowing who will be there when our time comes.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
People are clamouring for dman picks but we've got a full pipe line there and... maybe 4 forward prospects not in the org next year? And only one goaltender. That's where I'd expect the picks to be, even if I'm not super happy with the d prospects we've got. Also, attacking prospects seem to mature faster, and lord knows we've got a time crunch here.

I would like to see them try some boom or bust dmen later on though.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
People are clamouring for dman picks but we've got a full pipe line there even if I'm not super happy with the d prospects we've got. .
this is reason enough to look at d-men and it looks like we may have some good forewords coming ….center & goalie ?????

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
this is reason enough to look at d-men and it looks like we may have some good forewords coming ….center & goalie ?????

Mediocre prospects beat no prospects.

In the 2-4 years it'll take for most guys we pick this year to even be ready for WBS, most of those potential good young forwards will either have made the NHL or pretty conclusively never will. Bjorkqvist is our only forward prospect slated to be joining WBS that late, assuming he does all 4 years of college. There'll be no new goaltenders joining either.

And Palojarvi, Reilly and Phillips all potentially take 2-4 years to join WBS. Not sure Phillips is all that mediocre a prospect anyway. Not to mention that the dmen joining WBS before then are likely to be there longer before potentially progressing to the NHL.

The clear organisational positional needs for 2-4 years down the line isn't at defence.

JBose7

Jun 7, 2013
Ive mentioned Ryan Merkley having his stock drop supposedly so hed be a good pick to give us a high end defense prospect. And for years ive wondered why they haven't drafted centers who have a higher ceiling.

The Greatest 101

Dec 10, 2013
Manchuria
Ive mentioned Ryan Merkley having his stock drop supposedly so hed be a good pick to give us a high end defense prospect. And for years ive wondered why they haven't drafted centers who have a higher ceiling.
I saw Arizona fans say that the guy has attitude issue, so probably not a good fit here.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
My favorite time of the year, love the draft.
But as a Pens fan it sucks, since we never draft in the 1st round.
Who knows, maybe GMJR finds a way to get a 1st this year....

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
yep! with a first round pick you can make a good guess at who will be there watch and read up on players enough to pick a favorite.....at 53 there is no way to tell who will be there and few have the time to spend in research.

Inkio

Jul 2, 2012

I mean every year GMJR has given away our first round pick, so we'll see. Would be nice to know that we have some decent prospects so after Crosby and Malkin reach their downfall we don't wanna rip our eyes out watching the pens.

theicebox

#MonixWatch
Jan 8, 2010
Pittsburgh
We need to look at prospects who, with luck, have the potential to be a 2C. Whether that is trading up or taking a risky pick. Worse case scenario, convert that player to wing. Best case scenario, extend the window.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
I mean every year GMJR has given away our first round pick, so we'll see. Would be nice to know that we have some decent prospects so after Crosby and Malkin reach their downfall we don't wanna rip our eyes out watching the pens.

We've been lucky with the gems drafted in later rounds in the last couple of years and the UFA that have been signed by JR
But like most we are in always win mode until Sid and Geno retire
We will most probably have 2-3 pathetic long seasons afterwards unless they're both traded and we cash in in picks (which I really don't see)

Reactions: Inkio
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->