2018 NHL Entry Draft Thread (Less then 24 Hours Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
And then you have to consider the value of those 3 or 4 years. Like, what are we doin' here? Okay, we get patches extended for 3-4 years at a reasonable price: where does that get us? WHY?

VET presence.. i.e guys you can get for cheap on free agency every year and leverage for picks at the deadline (See: Daniel Winnik)

OB5

May 2, 2015

"Mathias Emilio Pettersen, a Univ. of Denver commit, was one of the 16 prospects to participate in the #Habs combine in Sweden."

Anyone know something about him other than what is available online?

46 points in 60 games in the USHL this year.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
He's a mini YouTube sensation from 2010. 10 year old skating circles around his age group in Norway. It's set to music too. Tom Cochran's Big League.

All grown up now. Should get drafted, but if not, it's a good connection to have for later.

He was expected to have a better season then he did, but he didn't have a terrible season either and improved over the year.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Small, talented, doesn't make that talent work for him consistently into production. He's a typical late round gamble with skill. He's a good player to keep an eye on as the draft tapers down.

Reactions: L4br3cqu3 and OB5

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
giphy.gif

Bergevin in one of his ridiculous suits telling Molson about the Euro Camp.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
This draft sucks from Rounds 4-7. He’s one of a few players with some talent in that range that could benefit playing in the NCAA.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Kotkaniemi wont be there at 10, hes going to go super early like Hampus Lindholm in his draft year, out of the blue. Their rise are really similar, actually and it bodes well for Kotkaniemi.

Agreed. High degree of probability he goes before top 10. Habs, Wings, Blackhawks are my picks for teams to take him. However, I think there is still a small chance Kotkaniemi is a 8-12 range pick. I won't be surprised if he reaches 10, 11, 12

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
If the Sens were smart they'd give this years pick to the Avs seeing the tire fire that will be the 2019 season or figure out a way to get next years backs that will be looking like Hughes

The more I see the debate between Kotka & Zadina the more I think we will pick Dobson just to do the unexpected

Sens should move back. Then give up their 1st. I wonder if they could do that?

Trade #4 for #11 and #12. Give Colorado the 12th pick.

Both should get good players there and everyone can move on. Doubt NYI wants to do that.

Fozz

Aug 1, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Seems like the logic ''take Zadina, and try to get a center later'' really hasn't been challenged around here. As in, the idea that you could just take Kotkaniemi and try to get a winger later hasn't even been advanced. And that is completely bonkers to me considering how undervalued some wingers are in this draft: first among them being Jonatan Berggren. Barry is clearly ahead of all the centers being advanced as options for our 2nd round pick, and in my opinion it's not particularly close. He's in my final top 15. Moreover, it appears that he'll be extremely underrated on Bob's final list and actually available for our 2nds.

So what would you rather have:

Zadina + Dellandrea
Kotkaniemi + Berggren

In my mind, Kotkaniemi and Zadina are of the same quality as prospects, only one is potentially much more valuable due to both his position, and his style of play. I don't see 40 goals for Filip. He's a 30-30 guy, IMO, and that's just not out of range for Kotkaniemi. Moreover, Kotkaniemi is a more dominating presence on the ice and is more of a multifaceted offensive threat.

Kotkaniemi + Berggren for me.
Zadina + Dellandrea for me. Easy.

Fozz

Aug 1, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Sens should move back. Then give up their 1st. I wonder if they could do that?

Trade #4 for #11 and #12. Give Colorado the 12th pick.

Both should get good players there and everyone can move on. Doubt NYI wants to do that.
They can't do that. If they trade the pick, it's theirs regardless and next year's pick goes to Colorado.

Reactions: NotProkofievian

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Seems like the logic ''take Zadina, and try to get a center later'' really hasn't been challenged around here. As in, the idea that you could just take Kotkaniemi and try to get a winger later hasn't even been advanced. And that is completely bonkers to me considering how undervalued some wingers are in this draft: first among them being Jonatan Berggren. Barry is clearly ahead of all the centers being advanced as options for our 2nd round pick, and in my opinion it's not particularly close. He's in my final top 15. Moreover, it appears that he'll be extremely underrated on Bob's final list and actually available for our 2nds.

So what would you rather have:

Zadina + Dellandrea
Kotkaniemi + Berggren

In my mind, Kotkaniemi and Zadina are of the same quality as prospects, only one is potentially much more valuable due to both his position, and his style of play. I don't see 40 goals for Filip. He's a 30-30 guy, IMO, and that's just not out of range for Kotkaniemi. Moreover, Kotkaniemi is a more dominating presence on the ice and is more of a multifaceted offensive threat.

Kotkaniemi + Berggren for me.

Any other takers?

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Ultimately my plan would be to take Zadina at 3, and then trade Pacioretty for a C- and that could be a pick in the 8-12 range and try and get Kotkaniemi in that way. Even if we miss out on Kotkaniemi, we can fall back on Hayton. As well, I expect us to be in the lottery next year so can try and get a C there as well.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Ultimately my plan would be to take Zadina at 3, and then trade Pacioretty for a C- and that could be a pick in the 8-12 range and try and get Kotkaniemi in that way. Even if we miss out on Kotkaniemi, we can fall back on Hayton. As well, I expect us to be in the lottery next year so can try and get a C there as well.

I really doubt you'll find a suitor for Pacioretty in the top 10.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad