2018 NHL Entry Draft Thread (Less then 24 Hours Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Who were the targets of the board, can you remember?

I was stuck at work, and when Price was announced, a colleague and Leafs' fan needled about a risky pick. I shot back we just got a franchise goalie, but allowed there was no guarantee of it.

I was stunned but not angry like I was with AK.

Edit: biggest stunner was Petr Svoboda in '84. I didn't know quite what to think. A kind of neutral...WTF?

I flipped out at Price. I was so happy that we had lucked out at getting 5th and seeing them pick the goalie ? My girlfriend came running out of the bedroom when I yelled whatever I yelled at the pick. Ha ha ha.

On AK I thought okay, big high skill winger.

Svoboda. Lol. Dude was smuggled out of Eastern Europe or something by the Habs, right ? Habs had him holed up so that every other team thought the guy was still behind the Iron Curtain. Only when they picked him did they take the bag off his head ( no literal bag ). I mean that's just awesome stuff right there.

Reactions: BeliveauFan4ever

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
Take this in perspective, most of them didnt have Kotkaniemi in the top 10 and now the guy is a top 3 without having play a single game since their last ranking... This should tell us something about the internet scouts
where is the lie?

McKenzie and the Habs gas-lighting us by orchestrating the rise of Kotkaniemi in scouts' rankings across the league.

hPqtZp2.jpg

Last edited:

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Can you still access the 2007 one?

No. Board only goes to 2012 now.

However, the 2007 draft was a happy one. There was next to no dissent on taking McDonagh. He was supposed to go much earlier but fell a bit like Fowler did and was considered a steal.

There was a bit of a debate between Pacioretty vs Perron, but no one hated it, until Perron made the NHL before Patches and started scoring at an earlier age. A bit of angst post-draft mostly.

Subban was considered a quality boom or bust prospect in the 2nd round. Not everyone was thrilled with it, but it wasn't divisive. Kevin Veilleux did have his supporters as did T.J. Galiardi.

Yannick Weber's selection was greeted with the same kind of enthusiasm as Mete's. A good pick at a good spot.

Overall not a very controversial draft.

BeliveauFan4ever

Apr 10, 2006
I flipped out at Price. I was so happy that we had lucked out at getting 5th and seeing them pick the goalie ? My girlfriend came running out of the bedroom when I yelled whatever I yelled at the pick. Ha ha ha.

Svoboda. Lol. Dude was smuggled out of Eastern Europe or something by the Habs, right ? Habs had him holed up so that every other team thought the guy was still behind the Iron Curtain. Only when they picked him did they take the bag off his head ( no literal bag ). I mean that's just awesome stuff right there.

Svoboda was there, yep, surprising everybody.

He weighed about 160 and was swimming in his Habs' jersey when they trotted him out.

I hoped that Savard had just pulled a monsterous steal.

Hoped...

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto

Yes, that's right on Svoboda. 1984 draft. One of the best drafts ever. Something like 14 out of 21 1st rd picks went on to play 750+ NHL games. That's insane.

It's known as the Lemieux draft, but so many great players came out of that draft. Still Montreal's best draft year.

Lemieux refused to put on Pens sweater then the Svoboda thing. I love the draft.

bleuetbio

Registered luser
Nov 13, 2008
Montreal
McKenzie and the Habs are gas-lighting us by orchestrating the rise of Kotkaniemi in scouts' rankings across the league.

hPqtZp2.jpg

I still think that Bergevin maybe try to gas lighting the Canes. Now, the odds are lower for Kotka to Montreal (-325) but the odds for Kotka to be picked in the top 3 has amost doubled to -550. Maybe somes people think that Carolina could bite? Answer in 2 hours

Sthabs

Apr 7, 2006
Hoping for in order :
Kotkaniemi
Zadina
Dobson
Brady

Or I would t mind zadina IF we get a high 1st round next t year and get another C

Also 67 traded for a 1 St +
Trade that 1st + 2nd + prospect of for a high end prospect centre /ROR, something along those lines

hotcarle

Jul 10, 2009
vd, qc, ca
The opposite is equally possible?
I'm saying it's my nightmare scenario. I'm not convinced it will happen....though as a habs fan, I brace for the worst. Ten years without an impact player of value in the draft (still with us at least), except Gallagher, will do that to you.

But we've been watching Zadina light it up at the wjhc, then followin him as he scores 40 goals plus for Halifax, all year. And this team can't score, period . And take away galchenyuk and potentially Pacioretty .....

Kotkaniemi is an unknown who has climbed higher and higher, peaking at the right time.
We've been told it's a weak year for centers. So is he the best of a weak bunch, or a bonafide top 3 pick, 1c? I just don't know enough about him to feel safe about it.

I think it's debatable , and there's room to disagree respectfully.

Reactions: bleuetbio

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
ENJOY THE DRAFT EVERYONE!! :cheers::party::cheers:

Big thanks to all the regulars who brought so much knowledge and insight (and a little hard headedness ;) to this thread!!) You guys are awesome! Here's hoping your THC gummies actually have a dose in them and you don't throw beer bottles at your TV when we draft Big Bruisin' Brady!

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Hey folks don't mean to force my content down anyone's throat but I got a chance to do a pre draft interview with Marc Dumont if anyone is intrigued

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad