GDT: 2018 NHL Entry Draft: Round 1 Finished; Rounds 2 -7 Remain - Common Trades!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Again people can confuse not agreeing with the pick because of your own personal preference on the board. I don’t hate the player or the pick, it just wouldn’t be my pick. Can he grow on me? 100%. Can he be the right pick? 100%. Can the center I wanted be the better player + need at the same time? Sure I guess.
I’m always open to having my mind changed. I don’t always agree with what was done because the Leafs did it. I liked the Lily pick, don’t need my mind changed. This one I do. But I support his becoming the right pick.
I don't understand the response. You made arguments based on positional need, I countered that with why I consider taking that into consideration is a bad idea. The discussion on whether drafting for position is valuable or the opposite is a different one from discussing whether or not you have a right to think Veleno is a better prospect.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
If SSM is looking like a middle of the pack team, I think that would almost be better for him than if they were a powerhouse.

My concern is if they are going to be a tire fire.

If he can be the 1D on middle of the pack SSM team next year, that would be great for his development. Where did he play in their lineup this year?
I don't think they will be a tire fire, but they could regress significantly. There will be massive subtractions. They still have Saginaw, and Flint in their division. The West (division, not conference) doesn't look particularly strong next year.

Plus, if they are bad, we can basically say we are putting him in the AHL next year, so move him for assets at the deadline.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Taking a step back, this is the most "controversial" first round pick the Leafs have made since 2013 ..... It's been a nice run

We had two years of peace.

However there was a lot of arguing going on with the Marner (lots wanted Hanifin) pick

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
I'm excited for tomorrow when we make that pick we got from St. Louis, and people scream about how that guy is a bum. "Dumbass traded down and drafted two bums with the picks GAAAAHHH.

Reactions: Burnie97

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Here are the players I would be happy with at 52:

Pipe Dream:

Akil Thomas
Jake Wise
Calen Addison

Realistic:

Jett Woo
Mattias Samuelsson
BO Groulx
Filip Hallander
Adam Ginning
Albin Eriksson
Jack McBain

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
That was the worst one, in my opinion. Some people seemed like they should be put on Suicide Watch after that pick was made.
The thing that gets me, is being in the draft threads all year, talking with smart, knowledgeable posters and learning about these prospects. You learn a lot and its enjoyable to read the perspectives of so many different players from different posters who enjoy the lead up and draft process. Then night of, the people who were never in those threads contributing come in and just spew about the pick that they supposedly hate. It's one thing to dislike the pick and disagree with it, but another to just come in from out of nowhere, all high and mighty, and just spew.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
There's two certainties with Dubas.

He trades down.
He rarely takes goalies.

He also almost assuredly takes a D between 15 - 40 selection. It's a statistically smart move because D are the hardest to gauge. Been saying that for years here now and I am really happy we are doing that as well. NYR did the same with their selections and I think won huge this first round.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Ms32b.png

4G4cwn.png

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
Here are the players I would be happy with at 52:

Pipe Dream:

Akil Thomas
Jake Wise
Calen Addison

Realistic:

Jett Woo
Mattias Samuelsson
BO Groulx
Filip Hallander
Adam Ginning
Albin Eriksson
Jack McBain

Forsure... the first 2... woo and Sam would be great.... really adding that 3rd.... was awesome... they obviously would of picked him then anyway. I think Dubas did a good job. That RH isn't going to drop to us. I think he'll figure something out though this summer.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I don't understand the response. You made arguments based on positional need, I countered that with why I consider taking that into consideration is a bad idea. The discussion on whether drafting for position is valuable or the opposite is a different one from discussing whether or not you have a right to think Veleno is a better prospect.
No I think Valeno is the better choice. Better player.
Sorry if that wasn’t clear.

Reactions: Nithoniniel
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad