GDT: 2018 NHL Entry Draft: Round 1 Finished; Rounds 2 -7 Remain - Common Trades!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Can't once you play in juniors. Thats only for euros and americans coming straight directly from their leagues like Nylander and Liljegren.

There's an exception if the CHL player is on loan from Europe. See: Julius Honka and Alex Nylander.

Sandin can play in the AHL if the Leafs want, but he's probably going for a year in the SHL.

Reactions: sxvnert

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
There's an exception if the CHL player is on loan from Europe. See: Julius Honka and Alex Nylander.

Sandin can play in the AHL if the Leafs want, but he's probably going for a year in the SHL.
I think one more year in the OHL would be good for him. Seems he needs to work on his strength a bit.

You are correct though. He can go straight to the AHL.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
Well, on to tomorrow. Lots of names left which I really like, though my guess is most, if not all, will be gone by #52.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
I'm still pretty pissed off that we passed on a potential future number 2 center behind Matthews. Having Matthews and Veleno as centres to build around would have been crazy.

On to tomorrow. Akil Thomas is who I want. That kid can play

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Hopefully we can trade a couple picks up into early 2nd round, still some good picks available.

Dubas will always trade down, never up. Explained it well during his interview ("group of players" comment). If he can draft the same level of player from his preferred group at 25 and 29 then hes trading down unless a player falls (like Liljegren) and you have no choice. Wouldn't surprise me to see more trade downs in the later rounds for more Bergman euro picks.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I'm still pretty pissed off that we passed on a potential future number 2 center behind Matthews. Having Matthews and Veleno as centres to build around would have been crazy.

On to tomorrow. Akil Thomas is who I want. That kid can play

I talk a lot about taking D in the range we picked but, I may have taken Veleno myself as well in this case. That's not saying Sandin was the wrong play because we sure need D.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Guys I like still on the board:

Berggren
Thomas
Nordgren
Noel
Woo
Wilde
Groulx
Hallander
Morozov
Wise
Regula
Hillis
McGlaughlin
Drury
Eriksson
Durzi

Reactions: firstemperor

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I guess the league is going with smaller, quicker Dmen. I wonder if this mean we’re going to see more clogging the slot in a few years.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
List of guys I'd like for us to take at #52, no particular order:

Berggren
Khovanov
McBain
Ishkakov
Thomas
Noel
Morozov
Hallander
Wise
Regula

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Dubas gets fleeced in the trade down, then makes this pick. LOL. Gotta think that people loving this pick have never actually watched a SSM game. He is incredibly underwhelming and soft. He will get ABUSED at the NHL level.
Can't help it, but when I read your posts I think of this skit from SCTV.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Berggren, Wilde, Wise, Thomas, Noel, McIsaac would be nice gets at 52, and if those aren't available you have to think we have a good chance of getting a guy who could be a good 3rd line center in time for Kadri's contract being up: Groulx, Hallander, Hillis, McLeod, Olofsson

seems like a virtual guarantee of getting someone we should like with that pick

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
I guess we have our top 2 centres here for years to come. If it was all equal, I'd pick the d-man right now.
Good job to the all the mods for dealing with the fiesta of HFboards as usual and then on top of that...the Leafs...the best and by far one of the worst at times to deal with :laugh:

Also the Mcbain everytime...I think of this.
giphy.gif

Reactions: S2S and 93LEAFS

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
So I missed our trade and pick..wonder why we moved back? I guess our first choice was gone? Strange we should be moving forward to build a champion..I guess eventually we will be trading some of our Marlies and will need to fill the gaps. So 2 swedes added now Par Lindholm and Sandin...anyone offer their thoughts? So we have 2 3rds now correct?

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Here are the players I would be happy with at 52:

Pipe Dream:

Akil Thomas
Jake Wise
Calen Addison

Realistic:

Jett Woo
Mattias Samuelsson
BO Groulx
Filip Hallander
Adam Ginning
Albin Eriksson
Jack McBain
Woo or Samuelsson would definitely ease the pain of the pigmy first rounder.

Reactions: rumman

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
I know its BPA over everything, but I'm praying BPA is a C at #52. We will see. The prospect pool will need Cs with upside in some shape or form.

Reactions: phillipmike

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Pretty sure he can Play in the AHL if we wanted to but it seemed like Kyle kind of slipped up and said he was gonna go back to SOO?
I wrote it out earlier, but I think it'd be stupid to rush him to the AHL. He's not physically developed and he got hit pretty hard with an OHL forecheck this year. He needs to improve his speed. Personally, the goal I would lay-out is another year in the Soo, to perfect your game at that level, get a years worth of development physically which will hopefully improve your skating and adapt to small ice. If he excels at that level next year, bump him up to the AHL at 19 (which is still an option because he was officially drafted from Sweden).

I don't want an Alex Nylander type situation, where a smaller skilled guy is getting killed playing against grown men and loses confidence. Lets be patient. Both Nylander and Liljegren were better prospects and more developed by the time the came over.

Reactions: Leaf Rocket

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
I wrote it out earlier, but I think it'd be stupid to rush him to the AHL. He's not physically developed and he got hit pretty hard with an OHL forecheck this year. He needs to improve his speed. Personally, the goal I would lay-out is another year in the Soo, to perfect your game at that level, get a years worth of development physically which will hopefully improve your skating and adapt to small ice. If he excels at that level next year, bump him up to the AHL at 19 (which is still an option because he was officially drafted from Sweden).

I don't want an Alex Nylander type situation, where a smaller skilled guy is getting killed playing against grown men and loses confidence. Lets be patient. Both Nylander and Liljegren were better prospects and more developed by the time the came over.
I agree wholeheartedly with everything you just stated. Also honestly the mental aspect of one developing at a slower pace that allows you to build the confidence after dominate against your peers aids a lot as well on a prospect long-term development. There are some that are ready for the jump to the big meaner leagues, we see that in Matthew and so on and then there are players that need that extra buffer year to build up the confidence and as well the physical aspect, that would be the RNH (surprised he wasn't traded tbh, feels like he would be the bait).

I am wondering if we are eager enough to go to trade up for Wilde though...he seems like something we can use in our defense pool.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I agree wholeheartedly with everything you just stated. Also honestly the mental aspect of one developing at a slower pace that allows you to build the confidence after dominate against your peers aids a lot as well on a prospect long-term development. There are some that are ready for the jump to the big meaner leagues, we see that in Matthew and so on and then there are players that need that extra buffer year to build up the confidence and as well the physical aspect, that would be the RNH (surprised he wasn't traded tbh, feels like he would be the bait).

I am wondering if we are eager enough to go to trade up for Wilde though...he seems like something we can use in our defense pool.
I can't see us moving for Wilde. He interviewed terribly by all account and he's pretty dumb on the ice too. Dubas also doesn't seem like a guy who is too interested in moving up.

I'm excited to see what Sandin can do in the OHL next year. There is a lot to like about him. He wasn't my preferred guy at 25, but he's not a pick I can get too mad at in the late 20's. He's high-iq and smart. The big issue is adding explosiveness, as he already has good edge. If he can somehow turn into a Tobias Enstrom, that would be a big big (maybe a double or triple) in the late 20's.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
I will die if we pick Addison at 52. I would've been happy to trade up for the guy.

Most ideal picks in the second in order:

(** - top-20 picks, * - 1st round pick)

Addison **
Thomas **
Berggren *
Wise *
Wilde *
Hallander *
Oloffson
McShane
Kral
Karlsson