GDT: 2018 NHL Entry Draft: Round 1 Finished; Rounds 2 -7 Remain - Common Trades!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
I can't see us moving for Wilde. He interviewed terribly by all account and he's pretty dumb on the ice too. Dubas also doesn't seem like a guy who is too interested in moving up.

I'm excited to see what Sandin can do in the OHL next year. There is a lot to like about him. He wasn't my preferred guy at 25, but he's not a pick I can get too mad at in the late 20's. He's high-iq and smart. The big issue is adding explosiveness, as he already has good edge. If he can somehow turn into a Tobias Enstrom, that would be a big big (maybe a double or triple) in the late 20's.
Didn't know or read anything about the interview, I was just going based on profile. Damn that's a shame I thought just from the numbers side he would be ideal but glad we would be avoiding him.

If he turns into an enstrom style player for us that would be pretty solid TBH, I am just curious what kind of path he takes in the development route. Smarts is a given with his skill but will that what he continues to polish before he goes on to add other dynamics or will it be together at once because they believe he's done well and this is they expect from him consistently.

Man I wanted Dellandrea lol, seemed like the right call to but holy hell not at the 13th pick.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
I don't think we have any problems at center because I see Nylander as a center.

Matthews, Nylander, and Kadri will be centers for a long time and they're all really good. Going to be really hard for anyone we draft to ever take one of those spots. If we get Tavares, then we just got even deeper at center.

On defense is where we're pretty weak. Long term, we only have Rielly and Dermott as locks. Zaitsev needs to have a better season this year. Gardiner may not be resigned. Hainsey is gone after this year. Liljegren will eventually get one of those spots... but we still need more defenders.

I trust that Dubas made a good pick. Seems like another Konecny vs. Dermott situation and I'm very happy with Dermott.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
lmao, I just noticed that there's a thing near the top of the site asking people to upgrade to a paid account.

Today totally convinced me to do so :sarcasm:

4H9tsgb.jpg

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Didn't know or read anything about the interview, I was just going based on profile. Damn that's a shame I thought just from the numbers side he would be ideal but glad we would be avoiding him.

If he turns into an enstrom style player for us that would be pretty solid TBH, I am just curious what kind of path he takes in the development route. Smarts is a given with his skill but will that what he continues to polish before he goes on to add other dynamics or will it be together at once because they believe he's done well and this is they expect from him consistently.

Man I wanted Dellandrea lol, seemed like the right call to but holy hell not at the 13th pick.
Dellandrea at 13 may have made me throw something. Like the kid, but shouldn't have been taken before 20. I was high on the Euro wingers such as Kaut, Denisenko, and Bokk. I really wanted Denisenko, but Florida snapped him up.

Curious to see what tomorrow has in store.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
lmao, I just noticed that there's a thing near the top of the site asking people to upgrade to a paid account.

Today totally convinced me to do so :sarcasm:

4H9tsgb.jpg
Especially when the main reason to do it can be solved by adblock. Although, the site is unusable without ad-block in my experience.

Now, if it was dedicated to more servers and not a cash grab I might throw the 12 dollars in.

Reactions: Blufreezy

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
Dellandrea at 13 may have made me throw something. Like the kid, but shouldn't have been taken before 20. I was high on the Euro wingers such as Kaut, Denisenko, and Bokk. I really wanted Denisenko, but Florida snapped him up.

Curious to see what tomorrow has in store.
Agreed. completely threw me off frankly...honestly thought someone like the Kings or the Sharks would get him...speaking of the sharks...What the actual heck happened with that one I dont know. Who knows maybe they know something we knew.

I wasn't invested in many prospects tbh, as I said been out of tune for this area for a while, but seemed like Dellandrea would be a guy we would go for if possible. Honestly seems like this draft is like the draft a couple of years back where everything was a crap shoot after the 7-10 picks? Like there were picks that are just off the charts and radar :laugh:

The thing that frankly has me most curious is why the trading floor was almost non-existence...Hoping its better tomorrow maybe after the foundations were at least talked about today?

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
I don't think we have any problems at center because I see Nylander as a center.

Matthews, Nylander, and Kadri will be centers for a long time and they're all really good. Going to be really hard for anyone we draft to ever take one of those spots. If we get Tavares, then we just got even deeper at center.

On defense is where we're pretty weak. Long term, we only have Rielly and Dermott as locks. Zaitsev needs to have a better season this year. Gardiner may not be resigned. Hainsey is gone after this year. Liljegren will eventually get one of those spots... but we still need more defenders.

I trust that Dubas made a good pick. Seems like another Konecny vs. Dermott situation and I'm very happy with Dermott.
I think Nylander wants to be a centre and yes he is capable but the problem is can he handle it. It's not an easy task and it wasn't even an easy task for our man Kadri, so it'll take a while but he can get there but it'll be not a boom he's a centre now transition but the long arduous one probably similar to Kadri unless something just clicks for him.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Agreed. completely threw me off frankly...honestly thought someone like the Kings or the Sharks would get him...speaking of the sharks...What the actual heck happened with that one I dont know. Who knows maybe they know something we knew.

I wasn't invested in many prospects tbh, as I said been out of tune for this area for a while, but seemed like Dellandrea would be a guy we would go for if possible. Honestly seems like this draft is like the draft a couple of years back where everything was a crap shoot after the 7-10 picks? Like there were picks that are just off the charts and radar :laugh:

The thing that frankly has me most curious is why the trading floor was almost non-existence...Hoping its better tomorrow maybe after the foundations were at least talked about today?
Merkley is the classic case of an organizational hubris. There's a few GM's out there who think they are like the girl who thinks she can fix every bad boy, but the reality is she can't.

All I know, is the Sharks saved me from potentially having a day that would really piss me off.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Seeing the guys who are still on the board makes me wish even more that we had traded JVR/bozak/komarov. Probably would have been another 5 picks scattered across the 1st-3rd rounds and there's a boatload of guys that I really like still up there

Reactions: rumman

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
Merkley is the classic case of an organizational hubris. There's a few GM's out there who think they are like the girl who thinks she can fix every bad boy, but the reality is she can't.

All I know, is the Sharks saved me from potentially having a day that would really piss me off.
Amen to that. I knew it wasn't happening at all, but still lol wow.

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
Especially when the main reason to do it can be solved by adblock. Although, the site is unusable without ad-block in my experience.

Now, if it was dedicated to more servers and not a cash grab I might throw the 12 dollars in.
For the past handful of drafts, I couldn't even access the site, let alone post.

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
There will be good prospects to select from at 52, I bet we will get someone our scouts really like.
There's quite a few names I'm hoping the Leafs snag up
Berggren, Tychonick, Allison, McIsaac, Olivier-Groulx, Woo, Marchenko, Noel, McLeod, McShane, Ylonen, Wilde, Der Arguchintsev, Drury, Nyman, and Thrun in about that order.

Scott Malkinson

Sep 29, 2017
Best Available Player at 52nd:
  1. J. Berggren RW
  2. C. Addison RHD
  3. J. Wise C
  4. C. Hillis C
  5. J. Skarek G
  6. J. Drury C
  7. F. Hallander C
  8. J. Tychonick LHD
  9. O. Rodrigue G
  10. A. McShane C

Best Available Player at 76th:
  1. R. Iskhakov RW
  2. N. Nordgren RW
  3. J. Gruden LW
  4. A. Ginning LHD
  5. T. Madden C
  6. S. Der-Arguchintsev C
  7. T. Emberson RHD
  8. B. Jenkins LW
  9. A. Dudas C
  10. J. Jenik C

Stigma

May 24, 2015
Mississauga
Wings have 2 of the next like 6 picks. Could be an insane draft for them.
Extremely impressed with their draft so far. If they keep this up, they'll be a good team again in a few years.

Personally, I'm okay with Sandin.......the organization obviously knows way more than me. But, I personally wanted Veleno or Alexeyev. I just have a gut feeling that Alexeyev is going to become a very solid player.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
I talk a lot about taking D in the range we picked but, I may have taken Veleno myself as well in this case. That's not saying Sandin was the wrong play because we sure need D.
You don't pick for need in a draft! You pick BPA

francis246

Nov 16, 2007

I like Nylander more on the wing, I think he's more creative as a winger. That's why I would have preferred to take a center.

Also this isn't a konecny vs dermott situation. Sandin isn't as good as dermott and Veleno is a better talent that konecny. The margin isn't as close as it was for konecny and dermott.

Can we please take in that Detroit got Zedina and Veleno in one draft?! They are going to be stacked with talent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad