Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Draft / Pick #9 - Vitali Kravtsov (RW) - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I care little about the year of the ELC, but I think there might be potential expansion draft implications? Have forgotten the rules already.

9 games in the NHL and it won’t matter, either for the ELC slide or seasons accrued for expansion.

Personally, I think it might be beneficial to burn a year off his deal. That being said, there’s no way I’d want him to need protection in the expansion draft. 9 games or less, the rest in the AHL.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
9 games in the NHL and it won’t matter, either for the ELC slide or seasons accrued for expansion.

Personally, I think it might be beneficial to burn a year off his deal. That being said, there’s no way I’d want him to need protection in the expansion draft. 9 games or less, the rest in the AHL.

9 game rule does not apply. His contract will count if he plays 1 game.

Here's why: He will sign his contract in the year where he turns 20. Because of this, the 9-game slide rule voids and the 1st year of the ELC counts regardless.

A similar situation with Mittelstadt last season

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Posted this too on his prospect page, Traktor likely miss the playoffs so we’re only about 2 and a half months away from seeing Kravtsov in a Rangers jersey (-:

Traktor is not likely to miss playoffs. Right now it’s 50/50 proposition at worse. They are only a point away from the 8 spot after Kunlun lost today.

Traktor had a terrible start to the season with the coaching controversy where Titov proved to be plainly incompetent in the way he ran the camp and the system he tried to instill. Add devastating run of injuries that literally eliminated their first line (and more) as it was put together in the beginning of the season that was counted on to carry the team. Now their coaching situation is stable, these injured players are starting to come back, Kravtsov is playing on a different level, his linemate Glinkin is getting back to his expected form.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
If Kravstov plays one NHL game after he comes over in 2019, during this season, a year of his ELC burns and he does not become exempt from the 2021 expansion draft.

That is how that will work. An ATO with Hartford is the correct and only move the Rangers should make.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I'm pretty certain the only one you'll see in that Hartford lineup is Kravtsov.

If (when) the Rangers miss playoffs I’m expecting them to send all of these guys to play in the AHL playoffs if Hartford is in it.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
9 game rule does not apply. His contract will count if he plays 1 game.

Here's why: He will sign his contract in the year where he turns 20. Because of this, the 9-game slide rule voids and the 1st year of the ELC counts regardless.

A similar situation with Mittelstadt last season

Thought his bday was earlier.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
What it comes down to is this:

Mittelstadt is a '98 birthday, signed ELC in 2018: No slide rule
Andersson is a '98 birthday, signed ELC in 2017: Slide rule
Chytil is a '99 birthday, signed ELC in 2017: Slide rule
Kravtsov is a '99 birthday, signs ELC in 2019: No slide rule

This is why you see teams sign prospects on Dec 31st sometimes. Rangers did it with Gropp, if I remember orrectly.

E-Train

Feb 27, 2002
New Jersey
If (when) the Rangers miss playoffs I’m expecting them to send all of these guys to play in the AHL playoffs if Hartford is in it.
ADA for certain will not. As for the others, not impossible but highly unlikely they're sent to Hartford after a full season in the NHL. World Championships most likely.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
This is from Brooks' column:

"The timing of the expansion draft mitigates against the Blueshirts signing 2018 ninth-overall selection Vitali Kravtsov and bringing him to Broadway after his KHL season ends. Kravtsov would be exempt from claim by Seattle if he signs his three-year entry-level deal this summer. The Rangers could bring the winger over and have him play with the AHL Wolf Pack on an Amateur Tryout."

So, that, if nothing else, should preclude them from burning a year this season.

https://nypost.com/2018/12/04/why-the-nhls-seattle-expansion-could-hurt-the-rangers/

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Yep. He has to be protected if he plays a single game in the NHL this season.

All 2018 picks will be exempt, assuming they don't sign an ELC and play in the NHL this season.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Right. I thought he was a ‘00 for some reason and was 17 on draft day. Turns out I was thinking of Lundkvist.

Ah, gotcha. Yeah, Nils is a '00

Anyway, Kravtsov doesn't qualify for an ELC slide. I don't expect Kravtsov to play for the Rangers this season

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I don’t care about the ELC slide. Kravtsov would be someone I would definitely consider getting to his 2nd contract as soon as possible.

I do care about the expansion draft exemption though.

Agreed. It's bad enough we have to protect Chytil and Lias

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I consider it a fair trade, since we won’t have to protect any of the older D.

The Wolfpack are here in Charlotte March 23 & 24. I’m now hoping Traktor misses the playoffs.

If Kravtsov plays for Hartford, I might fly in and join you for that game. If that's alright with you haha

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
If Kravtsov plays for Hartford, I might fly in and join you for that game. If that's alright with you haha

That’s cool. It’d be at least me and my dad. Possibly my nephews (8 & 10), sister, brother in law (a Penguins fan, blech), and mom for one game too. Not sure if that interests you, haha

Flights to Charlotte are generally cheap. That being said, I’m sure there are better arenas he will be playing in. Bojangles Coliseum is meh, even if I can walk to it from my apartment.

Last edited:

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
ADA for certain will not. As for the others, not impossible but highly unlikely they're sent to Hartford after a full season in the NHL. World Championships most likely.

I hear you re. ADA. Pionk will be kept out too but I was commenting more about Chytil and Andersson (and Howden) who would benefit from continuing to play after the NHL season is over. World championship could be an option too, given both participated to different extents last year.

Last edited:

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
The reason ADA won't is that there will be 30 waiver claims sent as soon as the transaction is announced. The other guys don't require waivers so there is at least a possibility, however slight, that they might join the Pack for the playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad