GDT: 2018 NHL Draft Lottery

Sparty

Oct 2, 2015
With Holland getting that two year deal he probably needs someone who can come in and score a ton of points in his walk year. Wahlstrom will play at Harvard this year and probably have the kind of impact Clayton Keller had next year.

This draft is deep in defensive prospects and there are usually good ones to be had in the late first early second rounds.

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
I'm not saying you guys are necessarily wrong about Wahlstrom. What I am saying is that he'll look kinda funny scoring all those goals with an entirely crippled and amateur defensive squad playing behind him.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
With Holland getting that two year deal he probably needs someone who can come in and score a ton of points in his walk year. Wahlstrom will play at Harvard this year and probably have the kind of impact Clayton Keller had next year.

This draft is deep in defensive prospects and there are usually good ones to be had in the late first early second rounds.

If we draft him, I would try to talk him out of the Harvard route.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Soooo... stupid question here. Was Cleary and the rest of the witnesses sequestered until the final reveal? I was under the impression that they don' leave the room until the reveal.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I'm not saying you guys are necessarily wrong about Wahlstrom. What I am saying is that he'll look kinda funny scoring all those goals with an entirely crippled and amateur defensive squad playing behind him.

It will likely look pretty good. His wrist shot honestly reminds me of Semin. He has a filthy release, if you give him enough time he loads up big time, but he also has the ability to put a tremendous amount of pace on his shot with very little movement. Dude is a magician with his shot, it has been fascinating watching him at the U18s

Reactions: DetroitRed

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
He is a really good hockey player. We would be lucky if he dropped to us, I don't expect him to.

His college stats are mediocre, and im reading that he struggled, and he's older than all the other draftees so if anything he should have had an advantage in that regard. Just doesn't seem promising.

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015

He's not going to Harvard...may end up at Michigan or BU

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
1)The defenseman this year are better than most years
2) It’s easy to develop good talent.

1) Defensemen are notoriously hard to project if they aren't slam dunk prospects.
2) Detroit has been notoriously bad at developing D-men. Any d-man that doesn't come with a polished game seem to be very likely to be fumbled by Detroit. Even highly thought of prospects that succeeded at every level before the NHL haven't seem to been able to make the jump.
3) Its not easy to develop good talent. If it was Edmonton should be a top team right now.

Right now Detroit has shown no ability to develop D-men. In the past they were dependent on using FA to supplement Lidstrom, and it worked well. This has left Detroit with poor scouting and development in that capacity. Until I see Detroit take a D prospect from juniors to top pairing, I am skeptical that they have the ability.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad