GDT: 2018 NHL Draft Lottery

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
it isn't ridiculous that the canes are getting 2nd overall. they aren't a playoff team, so they aren't thaaat great. they attempted to make the playoffs rather than tank. they failed, and they haven't been punished for attempting to remain competitive and win games. that is the whole point of the new draft lottery, and i think that it is only a good thing. sure, disagree with that if you want, but i'm glad to see the relatively weak teams who try given a chance over similar teams who tank.

Yet people complained about Ken Holland trying to remain ‘competitive’ and got blasted for it. Even if it didn’t work out what’s the difference?

Yet it’s fine for Carolina to try to stay competitive and good for them for at least trying, but overall they still suck... Not a playoff team - A bubble team. But it’s ok.

turkleton85

Dec 12, 2017
I'm happy for carolina - they have an exciting young roster, play hard. This lottery system was a good idea. Over the years, we will see less "tankmoves" towards the end of regular seasons, or at least i hope so

Of course i am a bit dissapointed we didn't get into the top 3. But who knows what its good for. At 2 or 3, we would have probably taken on of the wingers and it wouldn't have really helped detroit. This way, those guys are gone and we are hopefully left with boquist, bouchard, hughes as defenders, wahlstrom and maybe tkachuk as forwards to pick from.

I was on the bouchard train the whole time, but am leaning more towards boquist now. This guy is a wizard on skates

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
I'm not happy for Buffalo.

Learn how to build a g'd roster. With the picks Buffalo has had in recent memory, there is no reason they should be as bad as they are. **** them.

Buffalo has good talent on their roster. They've just squandered the **** out of it.
They're becoming the new Oilers.

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
who were these "highly regarded" d-men prospects detroit failed to develop? No matter which defensman is available at 6, it will be the most talented d-men prospect the wings have had since at least kronwall
I hope they're better than Kronwall. We need better than Kronwall type talent. Not that Kronwall was a bad player not taking away from what he's done for us.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I hope they're better than Kronwall. We need better than Kronwall type talent. Not that Kronwall was a bad player not taking away from what he's done for us.
We should be very happy if we can pick someone that has a Kronwall-esque peak. The big thing is that Kronwall established himself in the NHL 7 years after being drafted. At #6 we hope to get someone that takes at most 2-3 years to become an NHLer. Possibly someone that steps in right away. Kronwall's career was also hampered by injuries, with only 3 seasons at 80 games. That's something that happens more often with players that don't have the physical advantage that you find more often near the top of the draft.

Reactions: TheMule93

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
We should be very happy if we can pick someone that has a Kronwall-esque peak. The big thing is that Kronwall established himself in the NHL 7 years after being drafted. At #6 we hope to get someone that takes at most 2-3 years to become an NHLer. Possibly someone that steps in right away. Kronwall's career was also hampered by injuries, with only 3 seasons at 80 games. That's something that happens more often with players that don't have the physical advantage that you find more often near the top of the draft.

The problem with the two to three years to develop to be an NHL’er plan is that we’d most likely be drafting a defenseman.

It’s the one area our scouting and development has been awful at; not in terms of who we pick, but how the player develops. Not great obviously. Though, if we do get a defenseman this draft year he would be the highest one we’d ever had from a draft pick. So we would have that going for us.

I’m sorry, peeps. Just pretty salty that I feel like we got screwed. I was very hopeful that we would get top three. And Buffalo was the one team I didn’t want to see win because they genuinely remind me of the Oilers. Moving on. I hope our number six pick turns out fantastic...

Last edited:

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
The problem with the two to theee years to develop to be an NHL’er is that we’d most likely be drafting a defenseman.

It’s the one area our scouting and development has been awful at. Though if we do get a defenseman this draft year he would be the highest one we’d ever had from a draft pick.
I feel like it's judging a basketball players able to hit a free throw based on the fact he missed all his half-court throws.

And if you look at what we've done since 2014 (new scouting director) we've greatly increased the number of D taken and many look promising. So what we're judging in the past is in many respects proof of the fact that you miss all the shots you don't take. And if the shots you take are from low quality positions... well it's not a recipe for success.

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
I feel like it's judging a basketball players able to hit a free throw based on the fact he missed all his half-court throws.

And if you look at what we've done since 2014 (new scouting director) we've greatly increased the number of D taken and many look promising. So what we're judging in the past is in many respects proof of the fact that you miss all the shots you don't take. And if the shots you take are from low quality positions... well it's not a recipe for success.

I understand that perspective.

I hope it works out obviously.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Carolina is way too good? They haven’t made the playoffs in 9 years! The lottery is supposed to help out teams like that, the ones that are stuck in constant mediocrity or struggles and never quite get competitive. I’m actually happy for them. Necas+Svech/Zadina should give that team a major shot in the arm.

Lottery did not screw us over, we dropped only one spot. AZ and Sens got the worst deal.
I agree that the lottery didn't screw us over. At 6 we should get a good defenseman that fits our needs.

I still feel like the Canes are too good to pick two though. They were competitive this year. They have a defense with Faulk, Hanifin, Pesce and Slavin. They have Aho, Staal, Skinner, Lindholm, Teravainen. They already have some good forward prospects in the system and should be on the up and up already. They would make the playoffs soon even without Svechnikov. He'll be a huge boon for them now.

I think instead Svechnikov should help a floundering franchise. Not a decent one. Regardless, I don't begrudge them much. I just think Philly getting Patrick last year and Carolina getting Svechnikov this year is pretty dumb. If you're a bubble team you shouldn't be gifted elite talent. We need that to save the truly terrible teams.

avssuc

Hockey is for everyone!
May 1, 2016
Gulf Coast
I fail to see your point.

320_1_RedWings.jpg

Red%20Wings%20Stadium%20Players%20Visit.jpg

Thumbnail.jpeg

tumblr_nwdha3iUSh1rgjwupo1_500.gif

Local flavor makes some overlook the lacking areas because of:

e592b443641c434046cc24d5d3c6da20.jpg

And when Helm stays out too long or gets hurt down the stretch, we see stuff like this:

85878-6190694Bk.jpg

[Video of Legwand waiting outside Joe Louis on the TDL]

latest

Reactions: ManwithNoIdentity

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
I agree that the lottery didn't screw us over. At 6 we should get a good defenseman that fits our needs.

I still feel like the Canes are too good to pick two though. They were competitive this year. They have a defense with Faulk, Hanifin, Pesce and Slavin. They have Aho, Staal, Skinner, Lindholm, Teravainen. They already have some good forward prospects in the system and should be on the up and up already. They would make the playoffs soon even without Svechnikov. He'll be a huge boon for them now.

I think instead Svechnikov should help a floundering franchise. Not a decent one. Regardless, I don't begrudge them much. I just think Philly getting Patrick last year and Carolina getting Svechnikov this year is pretty dumb. If you're a bubble team you shouldn't be gifted elite talent. We need that to save the truly terrible teams.

I like brian burkes idea

if you picked top 3 last year you're excluded from doing so the following year and are slotted no higher than 13, 14 and 15 based on final standings should they all miss the playoffs again

this would still allow for them finishing 11th to get lucky and move up into the top 3
this would prevent teams from truly tanking multiple years in a row knowing that the absolute best you will pick next year is 13
this would reward those who truly do suck one year to have a much better chance at a top 3 by eliminating 3 teams right off the bat

obey86

Jun 9, 2009

Good for them for being lucky and getting #2 then. I don't think a team should automatically get rewarded for being incompetent for years on end ala Buffalo/Edmonton.

Reactions: Oddbob and avssuc

obey86

Jun 9, 2009

Why? So the terribly run franchises can waste the elite talent for years on end?

Reactions: Oddbob

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
just watched more shift by shift footage of Hughes.....man what a skater. On puck moving alone, he's precisely what this team needs. Really leaning towards Boqvist or him over the bigger defensemen at #6
Yeah Hughes is gonna be great. I laugh at the people who don't like him because he's not 6'2". I'm extremely confident he's going to be one of the best offensive defenseman in the league. He'll fit in perfectly on a skill team, but if your entire offense is dump and chase he's not gonna be a great fit. He can gain the zone effortlessly.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
It’s ridiculous that Carolina is picking ahead of us.
Carolina hasn't gotten a #1 pick consistently like Edmonton had, so it's tough to complain about them lucking into a top 3 pick. They've done a really nice job drafting dmen and now they'll get an elite forward. If anything it shows how long it can take to become good even if you don't tank. We have a long road in front of us, maybe at some point we will luck into a top 3 pick. People using Carolina as an example where you don't need to tank are ignoring the fact the Canes haven't been a playoff team for nearly a decade.

We're just now headed down that path.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I like brian burkes idea

if you picked top 3 last year you're excluded from doing so the following year and are slotted no higher than 13, 14 and 15 based on final standings should they all miss the playoffs again

this would still allow for them finishing 11th to get lucky and move up into the top 3
this would prevent teams from truly tanking multiple years in a row knowing that the absolute best you will pick next year is 13
this would reward those who truly do suck one year to have a much better chance at a top 3 by eliminating 3 teams right off the bat
I think that's an unnecessary change. The current set up had prevented tanking teams from consistently drafting at the top, ie the Edmonton Oilers scenario. There's probably just enough variance to allow bad teams to get cheap elite talent but also allow a decent team a shot to gain an elite talent. My biggest fear was Chicago drafting Dahlin. If that would have happened there would have been lots of calls to go back to the old system. Once a good team wins the lottery people are going to complain loudly, it's just a matter of time until that happens.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario

kronwall was an adequate 1D for most of his prime. Having our pick turn into that would be amazing.

Reactions: Ingvar

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Yeah Hughes is gonna be great. I laugh at the people who don't like him because he's not 6'2". I'm extremely confident he's going to be one of the best offensive defenseman in the league. He'll fit in perfectly on a skill team, but if your entire offense is dump and chase he's not gonna be a great fit. He can gain the zone effortlessly.

Can he honestly play 25 mins a game in the reg season and 30 minutes a game in the playoffs against Mathews, eichel, kucherov at his size and still control the game as all top pairing guys need to be able to do?

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Can he honestly play 25 mins a game in the reg season and 30 minutes a game in the playoffs against Mathews, eichel, kucherov at his size and still control the game as all top pairing guys need to be able to do?
He absolutely dominated against Johnny Greenway and Brady Tkachuk in the NCAA playoffs. He controls pace, that's one of his great strengths.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Thats great and all but can he project to be that top guy, that horse who plays a ton in all situtions against the best players?
You're obviously skeptical and looking for a reason not to draft him. That's fine. Just realize every single indicator is he's going to be an elite PMD in the NHL. He's on the World Championship team that will be coached by Jeff Blashill. No other college player is on the team. No, Brady Tkachuk isn't on the roster.

Part of me hopes we don't draft him and go with someone like Tkachuk instead. If that happens then that's gonna be a fun conversation for the next 10 years. ;)

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI

Can your crystal ball also predict the mega millions? I'll wait until he's in the NHL to make that statement

Either way, we'd be smart to try and get Bouchard or Bovquist first.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
You're obviously skeptical and looking for a reason not to draft him. That's fine. Just realize every single indicator is he's going to be an elite PMD in the NHL. He's on the World Championship team that will be coached by Jeff Blashill. No other college player is on the team. No, Brady Tkachuk isn't on the roster.

Part of me hopes we don't draft him and go with someone like Tkachuk instead. If that happens then that's gonna be a fun conversation for the next 10 years. ;)

I am skeptical but it's more just trying to learn more about him.

I would prefer a guy who projects to be more of a work horse or all around dmen even if less flashy or individually skilled.

That' all

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
I think that's an unnecessary change. The current set up had prevented tanking teams from consistently drafting at the top, ie the Edmonton Oilers scenario. There's probably just enough variance to allow bad teams to get cheap elite talent but also allow a decent team a shot to gain an elite talent. My biggest fear was Chicago drafting Dahlin. If that would have happened there would have been lots of calls to go back to the old system. Once a good team wins the lottery people are going to complain loudly, it's just a matter of time until that happens.

A little part of me actually wanted Edmonton to win so we could watch the HF circus for months on end

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->