GDT: 2018 NHL Draft Lottery

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
But what I'm saying is, just because they're good doesn't make him bad. And even then, it kinda comes across like we're saying skating is all that matters here. I think framing it that way ignores the fact that Bouchard is amazingly good in a number of other areas. Not every defenseman needs to rush the puck to be successful.

But my other thing is, when we agree that Boqvist is going to be a good defenseman, we put an asterisk on it. And that asterisk stands for: if he continues to develop. I really like Boqvist, but that's definitely what we do, and I think it's reasonable to do that. But what I don't get is we assume Boqvist can develop all these different areas in his game if given the chance, but we somehow assume that Bouchard could never improve his skating. But by all accounts, improving skating is, next to improving defensive play, one of the easier things for a prospect to do. So, in essence: why are we assuming Bouchard cannot improve?

I guess my thing is, look at the top pairing guys in the league and tell me if most are closer to 10/10 skaters or 7/10 skaters.

Maybe Bouchard improves his skating, maybe not. Maybe Hughes will get stronger and grow a little, maybe not. Maybe Boqvist will get stronger, maybe not.

Dobson has the least question marks for me and is my best bet for these reasons. He’s also on a great upward trajectory from the start of the season.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
You don't think Bouchard has dynamic PP QB ability? I really do. I was so underwhelmed when I finally got to see Hughes at the point. So much hype, but I really didn't like his decisionmaking. He strikes me as more of a very good option that the QB uses than a guy who QBs it himself.

Boqvist is good, but I still think Bouchard is better at it. Dobson, I dunno. I didn't see much of that when I saw him play.

Hughes is an elite skater that I have watched completely control the pace of a game. Routinely over the second half of his season at U of M he way dynamite for entire games. He has incredible vision and hands. It is all down to whether or not you let his size dissuade you from making the pick. If we aren't taking Hughes for that reason I really hope Dobson or Boqvist are our guys. They have more dynamic skills in my opinion. I think Bouchard can run a PP, so can those other guys and I like their skating, defense and vision more.

Bouchard is a very good player, I just think the other guys have bigger ceilings.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Hughes is an elite skater that I have watched completely control the pace of a game. Routinely over the second half of his season at U of M he way dynamite for entire games. He has incredible vision and hands. It is all down to whether or not you let his size dissuade you from making the pick.
I guess we're in "agree to disagree" country on this one. I actually don't mind Hughes' size, but I really disagree on the vision thing. I think I've only seen him make a handful of productive passes when he pulls the Quinn Hughes special and circles the O-zone for a a minute and a half looking for the open man down low. I've seen him force an awful lot of passes to completely covered players because he's too stubborn to give up on the play.

And most importantly to my criticism here, I've seen him skate around the offensive zone with the puck for long stretches of time without even thinking that somebody else might have a better look with the puck. It's weird to have such a pass-first player be such a first-class puckhog, in a way, but that's absolutely what I see when I watch him. Reminds me of Ryan Murphy a bit. Don't see an open man? Better circle around again. Shoot? What, me? Never!

Hughes is a really good player when he isn't playing at "Superstar" Quinn Hughes, but that's not often enough for my preference.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Kotkaniemi’s stock is going up for sure. He’s a big reason Finland won the U18’s (along with 2019 prospect Kakko).

Looks like a safe bet to be the first center taken this year.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
As I have watched these guys more closely in terms of some tape, I have to tell you Bouchard is falling for me. He isn't as dynamic as Hughes, Boqvist and Dobson are for me. Dobson is the guy who I really love watching him play the more I watch the more impressive he gets.

Dynamic to me means more flashy. I dont need a guy scoring to be pretty for me to like it. Bouchard may not be dynamic but he somehow has the highest point per game of any OHL draft eligible dman in history (forget where I read that though so no source). His offense reminds me a lot of Lidstrom, who is the opposite of dynamic as well. They both get their shots through from the point and pass well. No end to end rushes or circling around the offensive zone/rover style play, just effective. Hes got the size to handle NHL players as well.

I've already said I dont want Hughes based on how he played at the WJC but I'm hoping that the WCs might change my mind. Boqvist, Dobson or Bouchard for me. I agree on what you say about Dobson, the stuff I've watched screams quietly effective but wont get fanfare like a Hughes type of guy. Playing for Michigan though I'm sure the wings have done their homework on him and know lots about him

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
There is a really good chance U of M has the best team in the NCAA next year. I think both Jack Hughes and Wahlstrom end up there and it is likely Quinn spends one more year there. That is going to be a devastating team to play in the NCAAs.
Last I heard Bode Wilde is ticketed to Ann Arbor as well. That team could be stacked.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Dynamic to me means more flashy. I dont need a guy scoring to be pretty for me to like it. Bouchard may not be dynamic but he somehow has the highest point per game of any OHL draft eligible dman in history (forget where I read that though so no source). His offense reminds me a lot of Lidstrom, who is the opposite of dynamic as well. They both get their shots through from the point and pass well. No end to end rushes or circling around the offensive zone/rover style play, just effective. Hes got the size to handle NHL players as well.

I think his offensive game is very good. I think the only reason people say he’s not flashy is because he’s in a draft class with Boqvist and Hughes, who literally handle the puck like forwards. But his passing, shooting, and decisions with the puck are all top notch.

He just needs to improve his skating and maybe clean up his defensive game some, but he is definitely a legitimate prospect.

I'd be very happy with this. I'm not crazy about taking Hughes/Boqvist considering we have so many smaller guys coming in on D already (Saarijarvi, Hronek, Cholo, Hicketts).

Same. I prefer Dobson, but I like both of these kids.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
I'd be very happy with this. I'm not crazy about taking Hughes/Boqvist considering we have so many smaller guys coming in on D already (Saarijarvi, Hronek, Cholo, Hicketts).
Not to be too contrarion but Hronek is 6'0/6'1 and Cholowski is 6'2/6'3. Both are still skinny, but I don't think either will be particularly small long-term. Hronek has some bite to him too. I don't think Saarijarvi or Hicketts are penciled into our long-term plans enough that we should avoid smaller D. Especially considering that we used practically every pick on 6'2+ D last year.

Reactions: Fire Ken Holland

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Not to be too contrarion but Hronek is 6'0/6'1 and Cholowski is 6'2/6'3. Both are still skinny, but I don't think either will be particularly small long-term. Hronek has some bite to him too. I don't think Saarijarvi or Hicketts are penciled into our long-term plans enough that we should avoid smaller D. Especially considering that we used practically every pick on 6'2+ D last year.

Cholowski isn't even really skinny anymore, he is over 200 lbs by most accounts already.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Carolina picking second is absurd. Truly is.

Figured the lottery would screw us over.

I’m actually baffled and quite demoralized as a fan of this game. They in no way should have the second pick over Arizona, Detroit, Montreal, Ottawa or Vancouver.

Might as make it so that any team can have equal or better odds for 1OA.

And now I truly believe we get no one of significance this draft. Honestly, none of the players outside of the top three have me excited. No different than picking a player at 20 or below. None of them will have an impact like we would want imho.

I’ll be smh at Carolina picking top three for a long time...

Sorry but this year you are off on value. The top 10 or so picks are all considered to be quite good players and have had higher hype than most top 10's in recent memory, and I think we could see as many as 5 of them in the NHL next season. I think Dahlin, Svechnikov, and Tkachuk are close to locks, and I also think Bouchard, Wahlstrom and maybe Dobson could also get a shot.

Reactions: KJoe88

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Why does Button have Boqvist way down at 10, thought he was projected top 5, and also haven't seen Kotkaniemi so high recently?

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Yeah they're more average I guess but the group as a whole could be a little on the small side if we include a Hughes or Boqvist there. It would be nice to add a guy that has both good size and the realistic upside of a top 3D.

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
Sorry but this year you are off on value. The top 10 or so picks are all considered to be quite good players and have had higher hype than most top 10's in recent memory, and I think we could see as many as 5 of them in the NHL next season. I think Dahlin, Svechnikov, and Tkachuk are close to locks, and I also think Bouchard, Wahlstrom and maybe Dobson could also get a shot.

Maybe so.

I admit Bouchard is enticing and would be my go to and has me cautiously excited (I try not to hype prospects anymore) - dude could be a stud... maybe even surprise some people. Prior to now I was leaning Dobson because he seemed like the safer choice. But Bouchard seems to have a great arsenal of talent and I hope we can pick him.

For me it would be Bouchard, Dobson, and oddly enough I think Wahlstrom would be a good choice. Someone mentioned a Jets mold and I like that idea; Mantha, Bertuzzi, and Wahlstrom could contribute to that.

Last edited:

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
I love the Jets mode but lets be smart here

they have five fantastic dmen all basically top pairing guys in buff, myers, trouba, morrissey and enstrom

without these guys they are jack

defence wins

we have to poor all our focus right now into the backend

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
I love the Jets mode but lets be smart here

they have five fantastic dmen all basically top pairing guys in buff, myers, trouba, morrissey and enstrom

without these guys they are jack

defence wins

we have to poor all our focus right now into the backend

Not saying we pick a forward over a defenseman 100%, but if Boqvist and Hughes are available to us and not the ones I think would be better suited for our future, I’d pick Wahlstrom (and Tkachuk) over them.

I just worry about smaller defenseman sometimes despite how much crazy skill they might have. Unless they’ll be able to contribute like Rafalski did or translate their game at the NHL level with a more balanced game then I’m skeptical.

Last edited:

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I doubt he's over 200 pounds.

Griffins are listing him at 6'1' 200 lbs right now. Horcoff has said he got bigger even during the season somewhere recently if I remember right and he entered the season at 196lbs. Also actually seems closer to the 6'2" mark, isn't that surprising they even said on draft night they liked that both his father and brother were quite a bit bigger with late growth spurts as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad