GDT: 2018 NHL Draft Lottery

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015
Not making anything up, and it's not just drafting.

Abdelkader
Glendening
Booth as a FA
Larkin
DeKeyser as FA
Witkowski as a FA

I remember him talking about in an interview last season but I can't seem to find the quote. He emphasized trying to land more Michigan players. If I can find it I'll post it.

I guess Holland got tired of the swedish mafia.

Michigan mafia sounds better anyway

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
I don't know why you're taking so much offense to this. This is a recent development, not something he's focused on his entire career in Detroit. I think he is putting more stock into Michigan born players because playing for Detroit can be a draw for guys. Playing for the Wings isn't exactly something players are going out of their way for, but some guys want the opportunity to play for their hometown team. So it's easier to attract UFAs and showing other Michigan born players that you're emphasizing drafting them can be a bigger draw as well.

I'm not saying this as a criticism to Holland, just saying drafting Hughes because he plays at Michigan could be a real factor.

Hughes being raised in Michigan or playing for the University of Michigan will have ZERO effect on whether or not Detroit drafts him. I take offense to it because you're literally just making stuff up.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
On what basis? Detroit hasn't developed a top pairing D-man since 2000 and that's if you consider Kronwall a top pairing guy (I consider him a great #3 or an eh #2). Detroit has zero track record since they drafted Nick Lidstrom in 1989 (almost 30 years ago) of taking a guy that wasn't a unanimous elite defender and developing him into a top guy. So until Detroit is able to actually draft, develop and get seasons out of a guy who is actually a no doubt about #1 d-man, I will be skeptical.

1)The defenseman this year are better than most years
2) It’s easy to develop good talent.

Last edited:

ZDH

Mar 6, 2008
Sens will take him 4th. The perfect Karlsson understudy.

And the more I think about it if Ottawa passes he seems like a guy Zona would pick especially w their current analytics obsessed GM.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Hughes being raised in Michigan or playing for the University of Michigan will have ZERO effect on whether or not Detroit drafts him.

We'll see. I'd bet money that if the Wings draft Hughes, Holland cites him playing in Michigan and being able to scout him more than other players as being a major factor in their decision.

Again, relax, this isn't a criticism of Holland, stop taking that way.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
You're factually wrong. Holland signing a depth free agent that just so happens to be born in Michigan doesn't mean he has a preference towards Michigan players.

so larkin
glenny
abby
dekeyser

otherwise 4 of the 21 team roster or 20% are from a state that produces 13% of all american born players and 3% of all NHL players is not noteable at all, especially given the state i dont know, where detroit is in?

its all just random?

i guess the french thing in montreal is too

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
They're probably wishing they hadn't begged to be in the Eastern Conference right about now. Even an expansion team can win in the west, am I right?

Reactions: waltdetroit

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
I'm not too worked up with who the wings take. Regardless of who it is, it will be the wings most talented prospect they've had in years

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I could probably Google it, but I'll ask guys like @Frk It and @The Zetterberg Era, are the defenseman available at 6 projected to be top pairing guys?

I think there are arguments that Bouchard has some second pairing elements to him in terms of concerns. I like him though. I think all of the guys we are talking about have serious upside for that Dobson is often compared to Pietrangelo in the scouting community which is serious praise. Hughes and Boqvist seem to fit the direction of the league in terms of dynamic offensive minds with incredible wheels.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
I think there are arguments that Bouchard has some second pairing elements to him in terms of concerns. I like him though. I think all of the guys we are talking about have serious upside for that Dobson is often compared to Pietrangelo in the scouting community which is serious praise. Hughes and Boqvist seem to fit the direction of the league in terms of dynamic offensive minds with incredible wheels.

It'll be amazing what a true elite PMD could do for this team, everything will get so much easier. Hopefully that's the direction Holland is looking towards.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
We'll see. I'd bet money that if the Wings draft Hughes, Holland cites him playing in Michigan and being able to scout him more than other players as being a major factor in their decision.

Again, relax, this isn't a criticism of Holland, stop taking that way.
So the Wings are obsessed with size, unless they come from Michigan then they can be midgets?

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Think they're NHL ready? I'd guess that unless they're 'overripe' they'll play another year in their respective leagues since the Wings aren't going to start their trend up next season.

I am not sure we really need to force this pick up. I don't think Bouchard gains a lot staying down. Dobson probably could come up, but I would probably send him back and tell him to dominate the Q. Hughes and Boqvist I would keep at U of M and in Sweden for another year.

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
Hughes being raised in Michigan or playing for the University of Michigan will have ZERO effect on whether or not Detroit drafts him. I take offense to it because you're literally just making stuff up.

It isn't made up at all just look at the facts. Why are you getting so bent out of shape about it?

Either way, I'd be fine with Hughes. We're better off after this draft then we were before

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
so larkin
glenny
abby
dekeyser

otherwise 4 of the 21 team roster or 20% are from a state that produces 13% of all american born players and 3% of all NHL players is not noteable at all, especially given the state i dont know, where detroit is in?

its all just random?

i guess the french thing in montreal is too

They've drafted 2 Michigan born players since Holland became General Manger. Dekeyser was a top college free agent Detroit needed. Glendening was a depth free agent. Not even close to what's been going on in Montreal.

It isn't made up at all just look at the facts.

What facts are you talking about?

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
So the Wings are obsessed with size, unless they come from Michigan then they can be midgets?

Good point, Wright did say that the Wings are focusing on drafting size. Hopefully they decide to take the best player available and focus on skill for defense since that's what they need the most.

Reactions: DetroitRed

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
It's been talked about before, so no, he's not making it up. Fox Sports even did an article joking about the Michigan connection back in 2014:

Michiganders catching up to Swedes on Wings roster | FOX Sports

Don't get your wand in a knot without knowing the facts of the matter, especially when it's not a big deal to begin with.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I am telling you guys and gals, this was a good night for us. We are going to get a significant hockey player and likely in my opinion a potential core piece. We are not going to be great next year and should have a shot at potentially another significant player to go with the one we get in this draft.

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
They've drafted 2 Michigan born players since Holland became General Manger. Dekeyser was a top college free agent Detroit needed. Glendening was a depth free agent. Not even close to what's been going on in Montreal.

Any of the 6-7 posts on this page giving you Michigan associated players brought to the team in various ways.Either way you're making a big deal out of something so insignificant to begin with.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit

who said anything about solely being drafted by holland?

you have been told thats not what was said multiple times

MOD

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
I am telling you guys and gals, this was a good night for us. We are going to get a hockey player and likely in my opinion a potential core piece. We are not going to be great next year and should have a shot at potentially another significant player to go with the one we get in this draft.

I was gonna say...maybe we'll get a better lottery pick next year!

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
I am telling you guys and gals, this was a good night for us. We are going to get a hockey player and likely in my opinion a potential core piece. We are not going to be great next year and should have a shot at potentially another significant player to go with the one we get in this draft.

I think the game plan that Holland laid out is realistic, this team should be competing for the playoffs within 2 years. I think whoever we draft this year will be a core piece in fighting for a playoff spot in 2 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad