OT: 2018 NFL Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scorcho

Twitter @AmateurAdult11
Apr 16, 2010
Space
I like how the NFL sideline hats this year are forcing team logos in what appear similar to association football crests.

I have never felt so detached from this league and been so disinterested in following the sport as a whole. Literally the only thing I care about the Packers and everything else is so irrelevant to me.
nyg.JPG

I'm kinda diggin it

New Jersey

(pacmanghost x) sad again
Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
Eh, bothers me. I'm being melodramatic but it seems to me a microcosm of the NFL picking and choosing the things they like about soccer.

They seem aware of the fact that soccer is exploding in popularity in this country while the NFL is suffering from their self-inflicted controversies.

It's safe to say that the state of the NFL 50 years from now is truly a question mark.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Eh, bothers me. I'm being melodramatic but it seems to me a microcosm of the NFL picking and choosing the things they like about soccer.

They seem aware of the fact that soccer is exploding in popularity in this country while the NFL is suffering from their self-inflicted controversies.

It's safe to say that the state of the NFL 50 years from now is truly a question mark.

this is just an absurd statement lol

don't take the "fake news" that the NFL is "in trouble"...that is absolutely not the case

the NFL made over $14 BILLION dollars last year. Think about that.

Reactions: Maine Fan

New Jersey

Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com

don't take the "fake news" that the NFL is "in trouble"...that is absolutely not the case

I'm gonna backpedal a little bit here, but you can redact my statement then and interpret it as "I'm only sick of the NFL because they managed to politicize sport, which, in regards to the average fan, is literally supposed to be an escape from that noise."

I'm not ignorant of the NFL's success, I'm more focusing on an idealistic aspect of sport being eroded within the country's most popular game, which, for me, is the fact that on the field all the players are equal and represent the same team, and they deserve the support of the fans regardless of who they are or where they came from, and that is not conditional support based on the personal views of players off the field, who we forget are human beings with families, opinions, and emotions. (I have views on the handling of recent controversies which, if elaborated on in this thread, would promptly get modded.) It's a non-issue for the NFL probably, as the owners can pretty much do whatever they want and still make more money than god (part of why I'm a Packers fan: no single "owner"), but anecdotally, could be a issue for a long-time fan on either side of the coin.

Then again, I'm a hypocrite as a soccer fan, which is the most notoriously corrupt sport on Earth. (The NCAA is pretty sketchy, too.)

With all that said, Packers 8-8 season, we'll finish ahead of the Lions and Bears. The goal is for Rodgers to stay healthy. Ho hum.

Last edited:

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007

....maybe you should look at the underlying numbers. Revenue grew the least year over year in 2017 vs the previous 4 sequential years. That isn't too big of a deal...but this could be:

NFL ratings faced steeper declines in 2017

It's silly when people like yourself, the media, or the NFL tout their revenue numbers as proof things are fine. The reality is poor viewership performance didn't heavily impact profitability YET because advertising revenue continued to perform strongly. Why is that you ask? Well, the more lucrative advertising contracts generally span 1 year+. Let's see what happens as more and more of those contracts are up and re-negotiation begins.

All that said, I don't agree with people that act like the NFL is dying either. Particularly, I think the public is underestimating the positive impact sports betting will have as it becomes legalized across the country. But I am so tired of people saying the fiasco of 2017 didn't or won't hurt the NFL. It's naive. Even if you still don't believe me, just apply common sense. Almost every year white, middle aged men are the top demographic that watches the NFL. What demographic voted most heavily for Trump? If it isn't obvious by now...don't you think many in this group are likely to have an issue with all the protest stuff? (Regardless of my or your opinion on the matter.)

New Jersey

Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
All that said, I don't agree with people that act like the NFL is dying either. Particularly, I think the public is underestimating the positive impact sports betting will have as it becomes legalized across the country. But I am so tired of people saying the fiasco of 2017 didn't or won't hurt the NFL. It's naive. Even if you still don't believe me, just apply common sense. Almost every year white, middle aged men are the top demographic that watches the NFL. What demographic voted most heavily for Trump? If it isn't obvious by now...don't you think many in this group are likely to have an issue with all the protest stuff? (Regardless of my or your opinion on the matter.)

damn i wish i was eloquent enough online to put it this way the first time around.

Last edited:

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
the ratings aren't down

overall the numbers are down but percentage wise they are not

again, its "fake news" that the NFL is "declining"

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
There's a LOT more things that have hurt the NFL other than the stupid political nonsense. I mean concussions and the aftermath of that mess is declining interest in football at the youth levels and there seems to be more and more injuries every year in general. The handling of Ray Rice and other domestic issues also dragged the league through the mud. Deflategate lasted for over a year because Brady was defiant and Roger wanted a pound of flesh after being forced to back off on Spygate. It's a combination of a lot of things, including the general loathing of Roger as a PR-obsessed buffoon. There's way too much emphasis on the off-field stuff in the NFL now and there's a general fatigue of all of it.

Plus the product itself is getting saturated. Thursday football, Sunday football in the morning, afternoon and night, Monday football, occasional Saturday football around the college season, overseas football, games in Mexico and Canada, ten million different ways to play fantasy football...at some point the golden goose is going to stop laying eggs.

Last edited:

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Plus the product itself is getting saturated. Thursday football, Sunday football in the morning, afternoon and night, Monday football, occasional Saturday football around the college season, overseas football, games in Mexico and Canada, ten million different ways to play fantasy football...at some point the golden goose is going to stop laying eggs.

This is the real reason for any ratings decline (though the NFL is still by far the most watched programming on TV). Football’s popularity is that it is event sport that doesn’t take a lot of time commitment to follow. It once a week for 4-5 months. It’s business model is based on limited supply and high demand (unlike say baseball with 162 games is based on ample supply with a more limited/localized demand).

By stretching out to more nights and more tv windows on Sunday you are increasing the supply, but the concentration demand drops. Now for the NFL, that may still mean increased money so it doesn’t matter, which makes the whole debate stupid

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ

Maryland is awful. They have a poorly run program.

In other news, I spent the whole morning at the Rutgers practice. That's always a fun time, their coaches always treat me really well. The QB they got from IMG looks pretty good for only being a freshman. Give that team a few more years under Ash and they will be a solid Big 10 team.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I'm gonna backpedal a little bit here, but you can redact my statement then and interpret it as "I'm only sick of the NFL because they managed to politicize sport, which, in regards to the average fan, is literally supposed to be an escape from that noise."

I'm not ignorant of the NFL's success, I'm more focusing on an idealistic aspect of sport being eroded within the country's most popular game, which, for me, is the fact that on the field all the players are equal and represent the same team, and they deserve the support of the fans regardless of who they are or where they came from, and that is not conditional support based on the personal views of players off the field, who we forget are human beings with families, opinions, and emotions. (I have views on the handling of recent controversies which, if elaborated on in this thread, would promptly get modded.) It's a non-issue for the NFL probably, as the owners can pretty much do whatever they want and still make more money than god (part of why I'm a Packers fan: no single "owner"), but anecdotally, could be a issue for a long-time fan on either side of the coin.

Then again, I'm a hypocrite as a soccer fan, which is the most notoriously corrupt sport on Earth. (The NCAA is pretty sketchy, too.)

With all that said, Packers 8-8 season, we'll finish ahead of the Lions and Bears. The goal is for Rodgers to stay healthy. Ho hum.

Do the FIFA board members have to swear to the marauder’s map oath when they take office?

Reactions: New Jersey

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Maryland is awful. They have a poorly run program.

In other news, I spent the whole morning at the Rutgers practice. That's always a fun time, their coaches always treat me really well. The QB they got from IMG looks pretty good for only being a freshman. Give that team a few more years under Ash and they will be a solid Big 10 team.

The Maryland lax program seems to be well run. Not sure why they can’t run a decent football program.

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
The Maryland lax program seems to be well run. Not sure why they can’t run a decent football program.

Yeah Maryland lax is really good, their basketball team isn't bad either. Football is a different beast though. It takes a special coach to run those teams. The amount of support these players get is unbelieveable.

Reactions: My3Sons
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad