OT: 2018 NFL Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
LOL, anyone can look good with no defense

Plenty of QB's have looked awful in OTA's and Training Camp, this year and in past years. Darnold is looking spectacular thus far when it comes to his accuracy and grasping the mental aspects of the game at just 20-21. Miles ahead of all other rookies. Very rare to see this and the NFL has taken notice

Some throws that I've seen Allen miss in Buffalo, just very scary to think what he'd look like with a real defense on the field

Last edited:

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
Will be the ROTY easy

Sam Darnold just made two terrific plays near the goal line that resulted in TDs. A designed rollout to Clive Walford moments after he made a perfect pass to Dimitri Flowers (in tight coverage)... The rookie lighting it up in this drill. #JetsCamp

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
LOL, anyone can look good with no defense

If you read the article they are playing with defenses. Granted it's not against a real game plan or against other team's defenses yet but even in practice there are still reads that have to be made in real time.

And fwiw Manish Mehta is not exactly a cheerleader for the team, for Jet fans he's basically the equivalent of Mark Everson so this isn't just a puff piece.

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
If you read the article they are playing with defenses. Granted it's not against a real game plan or against other team's defenses yet but even in practice there are still reads that have to be made in real time.

And fwiw Manish Mehta is not exactly a cheerleader for the team, for Jet fans he's basically the equivalent of Mark Everson so this isn't just a puff piece.

And Clive Walford and Flowers aren't exactly Rice and Moss

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
there is no chance he is the "front runner"

he isnt even going to be the starter to star the year most likely

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
Not even Gurley. Though Gurley is a great player it's not an RB driven league anymore. They are more interchangeable now than they've ever been. It's a pitch and catch league.
He lead the big 10 in receiving and is such a versatile weapon I'm not sure you can quantify it right now. Him and a healthy obj are going to cause fits for opposing d's, possibly something we haven't seen in the league since emmit and irving. I also believe Eli still has at least 2 solid years in him.

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
there is no chance he is the "front runner"

he isnt even going to be the starter to star the year most likely

I think he's starting week 1. There's no reason not to start him. He picks things up super fast. Physically he has all the tools. He hasn't shown any sort of typical rookie things like a lack of maturity or confusion or picking up the playbook slowly.

If he did then sure ease him in. But he doesn't need to be eased in.

Barkley is in the conversation. So is Chubb and Guice. But Mayfield may not see a snap this year and Allen probably won't be handed the reins right away

Last edited:

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
He lead the big 10 in receiving and is such a versatile weapon I'm not sure you can quantify it right now. Him and a healthy obj are going to cause fits for opposing d's, possibly something we haven't seen in the league since emmit and irving. I also believe Eli still has at least 2 solid years in him.

Not sure what Eli has left but it's still enough to get a team to the playoffs I feel. Really what you're hoping for is for them to be like Brown-Bell are for Pittsburgh. Or Ingram/Thomas in N.O.

Can't make that comparison to Dallas. That was a legendary offensive line. Giants don't have that. Nobody does

Giants schedule isn't kind this year early-midseason. Weeks 4-7 is very tough. Saints, Panthers, Eagles, Falcons. You can play really well and still come out of it 1-3

Last edited:

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
Not sure what Eli has left but it's still enough to get a team to the playoffs I feel. Really what you're hoping for is for them to be like Brown-Bell are for Pittsburgh. Or Ingram/Thomas in N.O.

Can't make that comparison to Dallas. That was a legendary offensive line. Giants don't have that. Nobody does

Giants schedule isn't kind this year early-midseason. Weeks 4-7 is very tough. Saints, Panthers, Eagles, Falcons. You can play really well and still come out of it 1-3
I can't deny this is a fair assessment. I hadn't looked at the schedule yet. That's an absolute gauntlet. Then again going 2-2 or 3-1 (lol) could set the tone for the rest of a successful season.

Last edited:

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I think he's starting week 1. There's no reason not to start him. He picks things up super fast. Physically he has all the tools. He hasn't shown any sort of typical rookie things like a lack of maturity or confusion or picking up the playbook slowly.

If he did then sure ease him in. But he doesn't need to be eased in.

Barkley is in the conversation. So is Chubb and Guice. But Mayfield may not see a snap this year and Allen probably won't be handed the reins right away

If he's really the best guy and he can start from day one that's great, but I still have PTSD from starting Sanchez and Geno on day one. Let Darnold learn the NFL before he gets in there, that's why they have McCown and Bridgewater. Darnold only started two years in college, it's not like he had a Peyton Manning body of work.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Does anyone know for sure if the Meadowlands Sports Book within the racetrack will be open on the nights of the Giants and Jets preseason games next week?

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
Anyone catch the game last night?
How did Lamar look?

Someone who is a great athlete and can play football but is miles away from being an NFL quarterback. Even with that vanilla D Chicago played the speed of the game was just too much for him.

Not that he should throw in the towel yet but in the future he needs to be more open to a position change

Last edited:

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
Giants really have to hope nothing happens to Eli Manning because I wouldn't have much faith in Davis Hackenberg

Mayfield looked alright I suppose. But the guy who really owned that game was Callaway. If not for him people would be saying Mayfield wasn't impressive at all. Barkley had a nice run and then got like 4 yards on 4 carries.

New Jersey

(pacmanghost x) sad again
Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
I like how the NFL sideline hats this year are forcing team logos in what appear similar to association football crests.

I have never felt so detached from this league and been so disinterested in following the sport as a whole. Literally the only thing I care about the Packers and everything else is so irrelevant to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad