OT: 2018 NFL Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
I'm not a Giants fan but he's going to be a superstar

I wouldn't go that far. I mean I think he'll be good but I was more impressed with Gurley and a few others coming out of college. Plus backs are unpredictable with all the injuries they sustain. That's why you don't draft them 2

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Until the Giants O-line can show they can actually play halfway decent, I wouldn't expect Barkley to light the world on fire right away.

Early reports (and again, they're early) are that they're getting abused in camp all across the board.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Shurmur is a flat out bad coach. He was the Giants 3rd choice but McDaniels and Patricia would have none of them. Nobody wanted Gettleman either because of his age and attitude. He was a dumpster dive choice

After last year Geno and McAdoo debacle plus the issue with the kicker years ago, I'd say Mara is pretty much a phony. Giants are probably in for a long long decade

Gettleman's fine if you're a win-now team plus he's a Giant alum. He's a 67-year old GM taking over a team that shouldn't be win now but is trying to be, a la the Devils of a few years ago. Even going Barkley over Darnold was a win-nowish choice.

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
It must be the offseason... there are Jets fans taking shots at the Giants.

Well their play last year was, very Cleveland Brownish

Not that the Jets were good either. But they showed they have a bright future at least. Whenever Brady retires

Reactions: New Jersey

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Jets will be bad

Giants will be average

If the lines stay healthy (always a maybe in the NFL) the Saints should be a super bowl contender. They return a top notch offense with Brees Thomas and Kamara while the defense looks to have enough pass rush and some good coverage guys in the back seven. I think the level of play in the NFC was a bit off last season. Eagles were good but not great to my eyes.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I like Barkley too, but people also felt the same about Trent Richardson. Other than AP, I can't think of a RB who someone could rightly claim was "winning games" for their team in the last 10+ years.

Todd Gurley not even a year ago

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
The question wasn't "who's been a good RB?", it was "who was winning games for their team?". Gurley is not on AP's level and has one heck of a team around him, including a franchise QB.

Jared Goff really isn't anything to write home about, at least not yet

Gurley should have won MVP last year

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017

5th ranked QB in the NFL last year at only 23. He had a great year on a playoff team at the most important position. Didn't have great receivers either.

Don't want to bash Gurley. I love him as a player. But you can replace Gurley a heck of a lot quicker and easier than Goff.

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
Jets will be bad

Giants will be average

Both will be around 8-8. Talent wise they are right about average. Jets will end up 2nd in their division because of how terrible the Bills and Dolphins look right now. Giants may be right there too. Can easily see them ahead of Dallas and Wash

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
The question wasn't "who's been a good RB?", it was "who was winning games for their team?". Gurley is not on AP's level and has one heck of a team around him, including a franchise QB.
Well what position besides QB really wins games for a team?

And the league has swung back a bit towards the RB. Elliot was certainly a big factor in Dallas a couple years ago. Gurley of course, so if Barley can be an impact player that will certainly be a big plus for the Giants who have probably had the worst group of RB's in the league for a bunch of years now.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Not even Gurley. Though Gurley is a great player it's not an RB driven league anymore. They are more interchangeable now than they've ever been. It's a pitch and catch league.
But again, Giants' RB's the last couple years have brought nothing. Certainly if Giants had Gurley while Rams had our RB's(I can barely remember their names) the impact would have been felt on both teams.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Not even Gurley. Though Gurley is a great player it's not an RB driven league anymore. They are more interchangeable now than they've ever been. It's a pitch and catch league.

for the most part, yes. But there are elite ones that make a huge difference like Gurley and Bell

5th ranked QB in the NFL last year at only 23. He had a great year on a playoff team at the most important position. Didn't have great receivers either.

Don't want to bash Gurley. I love him as a player. But you can replace Gurley a heck of a lot quicker and easier than Goff.

in what, QB rating? That is a meaningless stat

Both will be around 8-8. Talent wise they are right about average. Jets will end up 2nd in their division because of how terrible the Bills and Dolphins look right now. Giants may be right there too. Can easily see them ahead of Dallas and Wash

Giants have the talent to be an elite offense

Jets don't have that type of talent on either side of the ball

Dolphins will be better than the Jets and Bills

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
for the most part, yes. But there are elite ones that make a huge difference like Gurley and Bell

in what, QB rating? That is a meaningless stat

Giants have the talent to be an elite offense

Jets don't have that type of talent on either side of the ball

Dolphins will be better than the Jets and Bills

Goff was outright great in the 15 games he started. He makes plays and doesn't turn the ball over and has plenty of room for growth. He makes those around him better. You see it in QBR but he passes the eye test too

Dolphins? No. Not even close. Jets have better talent and depth everywhere on the field over Miami. The Jets depth at receiver is actually sneaky great. And they are better in the backfield. And secondary. And QB.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Dolphins? No. Not even close. Jets have better talent and depth everywhere on the field over Miami. The Jets depth at receiver is actually sneaky great. And they are better in the backfield. And secondary. And QB

there is not a chance in hell that the Jets roster is better overall, sorry

DEFINITELY not better at RB or QB

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
But again, Giants' RB's the last couple years have brought nothing. Certainly if Giants had Gurley while Rams had our RB's(I can barely remember their names) the impact would have been felt on both teams.

RB’s are largely dependent on the offensive line. The Giants could have had Zeke or Gurley and they wouldn’t have found any running room the last couple years with the Giants’ poor line. Barkley is better than the Giants’ random guys the last couple years but he’ll also benefit from a much improved line this offseason.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
The only #'s that really stand out for Goff are the TD's and Int's. 28 to 7 is a very nice ratio. But the yardage and completion % are not overly impressive.

Also helps when you can check down to a Gurley type back and have him reel off 780 yards in receiving yards. Plus 6 receiving TD's.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

I’m throwing up in my mouth while I type this but in my view it should have been Brady. One of only three QBs to top 30 TDs, over 66 completion percentage, and almost 4600 yards with 13 wins. I wish he’d get bored and retire already.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
RB’s are largely dependent on the offensive line. The Giants could have had Zeke or Gurley and they wouldn’t have found any running room the last couple years with the Giants’ poor line. Barkley is better than the Giants’ random guys the last couple years but he’ll also benefit from a much improved line this offseason.

Giants O-line was bad no question. But to say a top of the league RB would not have found more yardage then the worst group of RB's in the league? Nah, would have helped in a big way.

The ability to catch the ball out of the backfield is huge too. And key when the O-line is not good, so if Barkley can bring that element than that should be a big help as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad