OT: 2018 NFL Thread Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
They also played the Redskins twice down the stretch after they got far more decimated with injuries than the Eagles.

Redskins and Eagles were the 2 most injured teams in the NFL this season.

EDIT: Bills and Bears were the 2 least injured in case anyone's wondering.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
You saw the effect of the injuries along the Saints o-line. Peat is a very good guard and he was flagged several times. Armstead struggles at times playing with one arm for all intents and purposes. Even Ramczyk was flagged and the NO running game was ineffective for most of the game. Couple that with shaking off the rust and you have a close game. I was surprised Lutz missed that last field goal. In the dome setting he’s usually clutch. I’m not convinced Alshon hangs onto that pass at the end even if he didn’t bobble it. Anzalone was right on him and would have hit him and grabbed at the ball. Tough game all around.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I forgot about that part.

And they were in a much tougher division.

Face it guys, the NFL playoff format is garbage.

Every league's fans complain about its playoff format. With baseball it's 'but 162-game seasons come down to one game with the wild card and there's no real home-field advantage anyway'. With hockey it's unbalanced divisions and the crossover format. With basketball there's no Cinderella run possible and too much chaff in the first round.

You're not going to please everyone, but in baseball I like there's incentive to win the division with the wild card and in football I like that the top two seeds get a real advantage. They're not going to eight teams in the playoffs, you'd have games overlap if there was four in each conference. Maybe one day they'll go to seven teams per conference with three games a day and only have the top seed get a bye, I could see them squeezing out 1-4:30-8 PM playoff games on Wild Card weekend.

Yeah it's not ideal to have situations like the Seahawks host the Saints when one was a 7-9 division winner and the other was a 13-3 Wild Card but how is the NFL supposed to fix it with the current division format? You're not going to have two eight-team divisions, and you'd have to expand or contract to even it out with 5, 6 or 7 teams. You could just seed by record in the wild card round I suppose while still ensuring division winners make it, that's really the only way it can be tweaked along with adding one playoff team and taking away one of the byes.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
you'd have games overlap if there was four in each conference.

As I mentioned before, I think it's a TV contract issue. The overlapping as you noted could be mitigated with something like 1pm - 4:40pm - 8:20pm.

Never say never; there's money being left on the table.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
As I mentioned before, I think it's a TV contract issue. The overlapping as you noted could be mitigated with something like 1pm - 4:40pm - 8:20pm.

Never say never; there's money being left on the table.

I think one extra playoff game in the first round is possible, it's been kicked around before to expand to 7 but I just can't see eight flying since they're gonna want every game to be standalone. Whoever gets that Sunday night 8:30 game, that fanbase would be complaining up a storm though.

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ
Throwing a few shekels on the following this wknd:

Chiefs -5.5 - Colts defense is good, but has feasted on some mediocre QB play in their run. Chiefs outplay a dome-team in the cold/snow and win 38-27.

Cowboys +7 - Cowboys might actually be the better team on paper and this will not be a true road game for them. Zeke gets 130+ on the ground. Field goal game either way.

Pats -4 - Worst Pats team in years but give me the BB duo off a bye vs a Chargers team that has played some physical games down the stretch. Pats win 27-20.

Eagles +8 - I hate the Eagles and hope they get romped, but I think they have as much talent (if not more) man-for-man as the Saints do and Foles has a golden horseshoe up his ass.

3-1 ain’t bad for the (limited) flack I caught. Games really didn’t go the way I thought they would besides the Eagles game but I’ll take it.

Chiefs -3, Rams +3 next week?

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
I still can't believe that Anthony Lynn, the D coordinator under Rex Ryan, who played against Tom Brady at LEAST 9 times, played zone D against Brady. That should get you fired.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
I still can't believe that Anthony Lynn, the D coordinator under Rex Ryan, who played against Tom Brady at LEAST 9 times, played zone D against Brady. That should get you fired.

Pretty sure he was the RBs coach under Rex, so he’s an offensive guy.

But he should still know better, you’re right.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
Every league's fans complain about its playoff format. With baseball it's 'but 162-game seasons come down to one game with the wild card and there's no real home-field advantage anyway'. With hockey it's unbalanced divisions and the crossover format. With basketball there's no Cinderella run possible and too much chaff in the first round.

You're not going to please everyone, but in baseball I like there's incentive to win the division with the wild card and in football I like that the top two seeds get a real advantage. They're not going to eight teams in the playoffs, you'd have games overlap if there was four in each conference. Maybe one day they'll go to seven teams per conference with three games a day and only have the top seed get a bye, I could see them squeezing out 1-4:30-8 PM playoff games on Wild Card weekend.

Yeah it's not ideal to have situations like the Seahawks host the Saints when one was a 7-9 division winner and the other was a 13-3 Wild Card but how is the NFL supposed to fix it with the current division format? You're not going to have two eight-team divisions, and you'd have to expand or contract to even it out with 5, 6 or 7 teams. You could just seed by record in the wild card round I suppose while still ensuring division winners make it, that's really the only way it can be tweaked along with adding one playoff team and taking away one of the byes.
I don't have too much of an issue with the NHL playoff format. I don't love that the first round guarantees divisional matchups, but I do get it now.

The only umbrage I take with the NBA's is the talent disparity from 1/2 to 6/7/8. The notion of having it just be a 16 team free for all could be entertaining, but the results would probably be the same.

Baseball absolutely has a relevant home field advantage given that each field is unique. I will never understand why and believe it's goofy as hell but it's there. Same with the DH.

As I stated earlier the NFL already has the most pronounced advantage of any league in the world, mostly due to crowd noise and the weather, but those are very significant factors and I see no good reason to add rest on top of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad