NFL GDT: 2018 NFC Championship Game: (1) New Orleans Saints vs (2) Los Angeles Rams

nolar

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Oct 18, 2011
The Saints got screwed it's not even debatable. The officiating this year has been really bad and this just underscored it

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Didn't see anyone else bring this up here so I will. As a Ram fan, if anyone gives the mating call of the loser "we got screwed by the zebras", I'll point out this...if anything, the Rams were owed 1...

Rams-Saints: NFC Championship referee named and the Rams have an ugly record with him

"Sometimes when you win, you really lose. And sometimes when you lose, you really win. And sometimes when you win or lose, you actually tie. And sometimes when you tie, you actually win or lose. Winning or losing is all one organic mechanism, from which one extracts what one needs."
-Gloria Clemente ("White Men Can't Jump")

Don’t understand how you’re getting screwed by getting an officiating crew you don’t like.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
I give the Rams DB on the PI no call credit. He rolled the dice the refs would swallow their whistles in a huge moment and he won. Congrats to him.

He knew he was beat. He said it himself. He ran into Lewis intentionally because taking a PI call would've saved the touchdown. He wasn't even rolling the dice, he was just doing the smart thing and trying to keep his team in the game.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
No attempt to play the ball hasn't got a clue where the ball is, hits a receiver while the ball is still 2 yards away, but it's a judgment call. Can't cure stupid, which is what the refs in this game were.

Duke33

Oct 9, 2009
Houston, TX
No attempt to play the ball hasn't got a clue where the ball is, hits a receiver while the ball is still 2 yards away, but it's a judgment call. Can't cure stupid, which is what the refs in this game were.

Looks like there were two of them there, and they talked after the play, and for whatever reason said "f it, let it go".

The NFL is going to issue a statement today, whatever stupidity that does. There's nothing they can do to compensate the Saints for this. Nothing. It cost them a Super Bowl trip. I know the Saints are still good, they'll have other chances, but you can never bank on that in this league. Might be 40 years before they're in a conference title game again. You just never know.

They weren't perfect but they had a chance to win, and it was taken from them due to the incompetence of the officials which has been a problem all season for the league.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Pass interference should definitely be reviewable same with facemask penalties.

I'm on the fence with roughing the passer but I would also consider it.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
In an instance like that, there’s no reason the league shouldn’t able to fall down to the field and change that call.

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
Opening up a can of worms making all judgment calls like PI reviewable. You can make a case that any PI in the 3rd or 4th quarter could have massive implications on a game and review them all. Simple solution is get better officials. Train them better, have them train in the offseason. Maybe have some officials that are under the age of senile. They made a step in the right direction after FINALLY hiring full time officals, but they still have.a.ways to go.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Don't know where you're getting "better officials" from. Who is working a level above the NFL?

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
I can't believe people still want more reviews and I'm on an island of wanting them removed entirely

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
They kind of already do what you're suggesting though. So where else do you get them from?
Does the NFL have some training program? I thought they basically just work off of experience officiating at other levels

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
Saints absolutely did not deserve to win. They were up 13-0 at one point. No excuses for them to give the game away. They also **** the bed in overtime.
Actually it's the Rams undeserving as they pretty much did nothing for two and a half quarters. Not to mention the worst non call ever.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Does the NFL have some training program? I thought they basically just work off of experience officiating at other levels
I don't know how intensive it is, but yes, and a recruiting program. Going through the college system is an element for that, you're not supposed to go from the street to training to the NFL. Look at what happened when they had replacements.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
I can't believe people still want more reviews and I'm on an island of wanting them removed entirely

While I don't want an entire removal, I don't want more replay. These games already have no flow because you have to drop everything and look at a play or all the flags. If everything is going to be possible for review, we're going to start looking at 4-5 hour games.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Another thing the NFL can take from the CFL is the ability to challenge penalties. It may add some review time here and there but the benefits of having the command center look at blatant plays like the one from yesterday out way the extra couple of minutes waiting.

Reactions: Harry Kakalovich

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad