NFL GDT: 2018 NFC Championship Game: (1) New Orleans Saints vs (2) Los Angeles Rams

nolar

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Duke33

Oct 9, 2009
Houston, TX
I was not very encouraged by the commissioners press conference. They admit the refs messed up yet they aren't intent on making systematic changes.
Despite fan, media and team outrage they wait almost two weeks before a statement is made by the NFL commissioner.

Well it's obvious it's not going away anytime soon. The responses from players and coaches this week in Atlanta have been pretty telling. Obviously things need to change.

This one was different than other historic bad calls on many levels. The timing, the violence of it (in a league where they've been preaching safety), the fact that the call was ignored, not missed, (two refs looking right at the play) and the result, which sent one team to the SB and the other one home.

It also makes moot the point that the league's sycophants keep blathering, that the Saints had other chances to win. While that's true in any close game where many "one plays" could make a difference, this non-call directly impacted the end of the game, the clock, and the fact New Orleans would have had a chip shot FG to win. Despite Payton's coaching, or plays that weren't made, New Orleans still should have been in a position to win, if the Rams player hadn't admittedly made a dangerous play knowing he'd be flagged but thinking it was preventing a TD.

A point the media ignores too is while yes the Saints had chances in OT to win and stop LA on defense, nobody is taking into account that New Orleans was probably pretty shell shocked after a non call of such impact. I'd be willing to bet that mentally they were off their game quite a bit after that play, probably for the remainder of the game.

But the league has at least gotten the message, since they've been making statements, acknowledging that none of the refs in the SB have ties to California or New England, etc. Obviously they've been rocked by this. Most other bad call outrage dies off after a few days, this one is going strong if not stronger. And if LA wins the game, I bet it gets even louder.

Reactions: Newsworthy

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
Well it's obvious it's not going away anytime soon. The responses from players and coaches this week in Atlanta have been pretty telling. Obviously things need to change.

This one was different than other historic bad calls on many levels. The timing, the violence of it (in a league where they've been preaching safety), the fact that the call was ignored, not missed, (two refs looking right at the play) and the result, which sent one team to the SB and the other one home.

It also makes moot the point that the league's sycophants keep blathering, that the Saints had other chances to win. While that's true in any close game where many "one plays" could make a difference, this non-call directly impacted the end of the game, the clock, and the fact New Orleans would have had a chip shot FG to win. Despite Payton's coaching, or plays that weren't made, New Orleans still should have been in a position to win, if the Rams player hadn't admittedly made a dangerous play knowing he'd be flagged but thinking it was preventing a TD.

A point the media ignores too is while yes the Saints had chances in OT to win and stop LA on defense, nobody is taking into account that New Orleans was probably pretty shell shocked after a non call of such impact. I'd be willing to bet that mentally they were off their game quite a bit after that play, probably for the remainder of the game.

But the league has at least gotten the message, since they've been making statements, acknowledging that none of the refs in the SB have ties to California or New England, etc. Obviously they've been rocked by this. Most other bad call outrage dies off after a few days, this one is going strong if not stronger. And if LA wins the game, I bet it gets even louder.

I really enjoyed reading your well thought out post. You covered all bases and it's pretty much the way I feel. I couldn't imagine being a Saints fan or player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad