NFL GDT: 2018 NFC Championship Game: (1) New Orleans Saints vs (2) Los Angeles Rams

nolar

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Vamos Rafa

Jan 11, 2010
Armenia, California
I've lost track of all the goalposts you're moving for this stupid discussion to continue.

You're citing the MLS in LA's titles, not the World Cup. Hockey (NHL) has tv higher viewership (MLS) in America.

You said hockey vs soccer, fool. I'm just going by what you say. I'm very good at debating. That's why you're losing. And why wouldn't the Galaxy count. Are the players less athletic than you?

Duke33

Oct 9, 2009
Houston, TX
This is just terrible logic.

The right call gets made then the Saints win. End of. It's not comparable to a missed call in the first quarter. That call took the chances of the Saints winning from 99.9% to 50%.

They didn't do enough after it, they absolutely done enough up to that point to earn the win.

Agreed, this is the first time in a long time where you really can say one play (or horribly missed call) did decide a game, and unfortunately a Super Bowl trip was on the line. The Rams had already crapped the bed giving up the long pass, you have the Rams player admitting after the game he took the shot to save the TD (was helmet on helmet too) and you have the officials admitting it was a blown call, for whatever good that does.

You're right, that call is made and the Saints win barring something beyond miraculous for LA.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
I mean, he's 55. I know dudes that are 55 that have almost no hair left and what they do have is gray. He ain't so bad for 55.

I'm 42 and I probably look that old, but I've had 35 years of Saints football to do that to me, he's only had 12.
I just mean for him. He looked the same for a decade, but he looks old all of a sudden.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
Here’s my take as a Saints fan.

There isn’t a discussion regarding the missed PI/helmet to helmet call late in the game if the Saints punch in a TD in Q1 to take a bigger lead. Twice in the red zone and they only come up with 6 points. Get 7 on one of those possessions combined with the Garret Griffen pass catch TD and your up 17-0 on a a Rams team that was rattled in the early stages.

Big call by McVey on the fake punt which ended up turning into 3 big points. They started to gain confidence from that.

I know Rams fans will say Goff got facemasked on the drive that stalled at the 1 yard line mid way through the 4th. I honestly didn’t see the defender grab the facemask, looks like he swiped at it, put his hand/palm on it but no grab, which to my understanding is not a penalty, you have to grab the facemask for it to be a penalty. Believe it was a change in the rules, forget when though.

The NFL admitted they f***ed up and Robey-Coleman mentioned after the game, he was out of position and was doing anything he could to interfere the Saint receiver. The non call, at that juncture of the game, cost the Saints at trip to the SB. Make the call, Saints run it and make the Rams use their 2 remaining TO’s, thrn you either kick a chip shot fg or get a TD and leave the Rams with no time left, essentially tuning out the clock.

I also thought the Rams did a good job containing Mike Thomas.

Didn’t like Peyton getting cute in the red zone with Taysom Hill. Put the ball in Brees hands and let him work, don’t get fancy in the NFC Champ game time in those areas.

Zeurlein is money.

Saints defence played ok but the loss of Rankins the week before had an effect. Not much pressure on Goff. Saints only got home to him or had a hurry 3-4 times. Not enough.

Brees gets another year older, window is closing. Hope he gets another shot next year. Saints should be a contender again. Ingram is a noteable FA on the offence.

Tough loses for the Saints the last 2 years but I’ll live. It’s only sport. Hard to deal with the finality of it but tomorrow is a new day.

Reactions: Memento

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
The Saints incompetent bumble****ery cost them the game

Bad clock management, insane hubris throwing it twice

A normal coach runs it up the middle three times but Sean Payton thinks he’s so ****ing smart

Totally agree here. That is what makes Payton infuriating to me at times. K.I.S.S, especially at that stage of the game.

You have a foot in the door to get to the SB and you decide to pass on 1st down? Jeebus.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
That blown call is one of the most impactful blown calls I can ever recall seeing. Literally game changing.

Duke33

Oct 9, 2009
Houston, TX
That blown call is one of the most impactful blown calls I can ever recall seeing. Literally game changing.

No question. You can analyze all the other plays the Saints made or didn't make. Plain and simple if that ridiculously blatant call is made, the Saints run the clock down and kick a chip shot FG with almost no time left. Despite the great Rams season they'll now be remembered as needing one of the most idiotic non calls in history to get to the SB. Not fair to them but that's what will happen.

Reactions: Heldig

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Rams were the better team coming into the game. Stronger, healthier. The Saints aren't a particularly "old" team except for Brees and Morstead but they looked old and worn out this game and frankly they've looked old and worn out for weeks. It just wasn't their year. I can't even be too mad about the bad call in light of that. Rams were just better and played a better game, and hell they made a 57 yard field goal. Neither team deserved to lose but the Rams probably deserved to win just a little bit more, regardless of officiating.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
Rams were the better team coming into the game. Stronger, healthier. The Saints aren't a particularly "old" team except for Brees and Morstead but they looked old and worn out this game and frankly they've looked old and worn out for weeks. It just wasn't their year. I can't even be too mad about the bad call in light of that. Rams were just better and played a better game, and hell they made a 57 yard field goal. Neither team deserved to lose but the Rams probably deserved to win just a little bit more, regardless of officiating.

I think you will see in the coming days some of the guys that were playing with injuries for the Saints. Specifically, their Oline.

Peat, we know had the busted hand and apparently Warford and Unger were carrying injuries. We all know Armstead is made of glass and was dealing with a pectoral injury. When 4 of the 5 guys on the line are dinged, it makes it difficult for any QB.

Saints Oline was dominant for a good part of the season, but in the last 4-6 weeks, they were pretty average. Injuries surely played a rather large part.

Duke33

Oct 9, 2009
Houston, TX

How do you figure the Rams deserved it better? They allowed a long pass play to get New Orleans down there, then by their own admission took a blatant penalty to stop a TD from being scored. If they don't take that penalty, or the refs call it like they should have, the Rams lose...period.

Sure, the Rams made the plays to tie the game and in OT. But it never should have gotten to that point.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Saints will have Karma on their side next season as they got absolutely robbed and jobbed on that non-call.

I have no dog in this fight, long time Steelers fan, watching and playing football 40+ years, and that is a pass interference call every day of the week and twice on Sunday’s.....

NFL refereeing this year was deplorable and needs to be fixed. I can’t recall ever seeing so many blatantly blown calls as I did this season.

Sorry Saints fans, but guys got ripped off today.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Saints didn’t score enough in the red zone, that’s the bottom line there.

They had another possession that started in Rams territory, took a penalty and went 3 and out. They couldn’t get Michael Thomas the ball either, something they need to address by finding another receiver who can get separation. Should’ve seen blood but Brees makes a bad throw on 3rd down to Ginn.

They were unable to go for the kill, that’s what’s more likely to haunt Sean Payton. We’ll see how they respond, there’s never guarantees. On defense they lack that field general or leader who can make plays in the second level whether it’s another linebacker or safety. Someone like Brian Dawkins was once upon a time for the Eagles or Malcolm Jenkins still is but let go.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
The Saints got dominated after the 1st quarter, the opposite of how they wont last week. Not going to win the playoffs like that many times.

Say Hey Kid

Under the Sign of the Black Mark
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory
I give the Rams DB on the PI no call credit. He rolled the dice the refs would swallow their whistles in a huge moment and he won. Congrats to him.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
It will be interesting to see how the NFL reacts to such a embarrassing and costly mistake. I wonder if there will be some kind of eye in the sky review to call down to the field refs when they screw up like that.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
Didn't see anyone else bring this up here so I will. As a Ram fan, if anyone gives the mating call of the loser "we got screwed by the zebras", I'll point out this...if anything, the Rams were owed 1...

Rams-Saints: NFC Championship referee named and the Rams have an ugly record with him

"Sometimes when you win, you really lose. And sometimes when you lose, you really win. And sometimes when you win or lose, you actually tie. And sometimes when you tie, you actually win or lose. Winning or losing is all one organic mechanism, from which one extracts what one needs."
-Gloria Clemente ("White Men Can't Jump")

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
It will be interesting to see how the NFL reacts to such a embarrassing and costly mistake. I wonder if there will be some kind of eye in the sky review to call down to the field refs when they screw up like that.

It's a judgement call. Not a replay decision.

As for the Saints, for such an explosive team they put up 20 and 23 points in 2 playoff games. They need more weapons at the receiver/TE position besides Thomas.

If the Saints had gotten the right PI call, then they move onto the SB.

BB would have a game plan to take away Thomas, meaning someone else at WR/TE would have to beat them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad