NBA 2018 NBA Playoffs Part II

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Was there ever any drama?

Yes. The Cavs and Warriors had a couple of classic series, OKC/GS was a budding rivalry and the Spurs with Kawhi were a player too.

Once KD signed with the Warriors (took the easy path to a Championship) that all ended instantly.
The last 2 seasons have been inevitable outcomes and I don't see that changing as long as the Warriors core stays together.

The NBA has always had drama even during the dynasties of the 80s and 90s. The only period I can think of in the modern era that had as dominant a team as this with easy finals wins was the Shaq/Kobe Lakers of the early 00s and even they had the Kings who pushed them a couple of those years. Kind of sucks that the league is back to that again.

Last edited:

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Houston’s defense would need to improve alot
LeBron would be able to focus more on the defensive side as he wouldn’t need to carry as much of a load offensively. Paul is a good defender and if they were able to add some versatile 3 and D guys they would be the favourites in my eyes.

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
Yes. The Cavs and Warriors had a couple of classic series, OKC/GS was a budding rivalry and the Spurs with Kawhi were a player too.
Once KD signed with the Warriors (took the easy path to a Championship) that all ended instantly.
The last 2 seasons have been inevitable outcomes and I don't see that changing as long as the Warriors core stays together.

The Warriors were more beatable in 2015-2016 (1 sweep).

These Warriors are not those Warriors.

Golden State with Durant is basically the equivalent of if Lemieux ended up on the Oilers as a rookie.

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
D'Antoni has always had that rep. "Can't play D" "Run and gun"

It's why I was always wary of his work this year with Houston. Sure Houston has a good team but D'Antoni doesn't exactly have the best track record of winning championships.

Ty Lue has a championship and he might be the worst coach to ever win a championship.

Vamos Rafa

Jan 11, 2010
Armenia, California
The Warriors were more beatable in 2015-2016 (1 sweep).

These Warriors are not those Warriors.

Golden State with Durant is basically the equivalent of if Lemieux ended up on the Oilers as a rookie.

Just tells you how great that 73-win team was even though they choked away the 3-1 lead. Their starting SF was an insufficient and inconsistent Harrison Barnes who has shown that he is the first option for a lottery team who can't even average 20 PPG.

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016

The NBA has always had drama even during the dynasties of the 80s and 90s. The only period I can think of in the modern era that had as dominant a team as this with easy finals wins was the Shaq/Kobe Lakers of the early 00s and even they had the Kings who pushed them a couple of those years. Kind of sucks that the league is back to that again.

Drama for one series i guess is still drama

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
If LeBron joins Houston or Philly I take them over the Warriors, but yeah Durant is just unstoppable and being surrounded with the best shooting back court in history is just insane.
No chance with Philly. Not enough good shooters to pace with the Warriors.

With Houston it's more interesting, but they simply can't afford to give him the max unless they get rid of Andersen and a few other pieces. But I'd still take the Warriors in 6.

He's going to the Lakers.

LaVar

Jul 31, 2013
Spurs fan so hope we keep Kawhi, but if we were to deal him it would be unreal if PHI somehow got both Kawhi and LeBron... they definitely have the assets.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
No chance with Philly. Not enough good shooters to pace with the Warriors.

With Houston it's more interesting, but they simply can't afford to give him the max unless they get rid of Andersen and a few other pieces. But I'd still take the Warriors in 6.

He's going to the Lakers.
The poster said over the next 3/4 years. as guys like Simmonds and Embid develop paired with LeBron a few savy moves Philly absolutely would have a chance.

The series is probably going 6 this year without LeBron, you don’t think arguably the GOAT would make even the slightest of difference?

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
The poster said over the next 3/4 years. as guys like Simmonds and Embid develop paired with LeBron a few savy moves Philly absolutely would have a chance.

The series is probably going 6 this year without LeBron, you don’t think arguably the GOAT would make even the slightest of difference?

LeBron is 33 years old. He's already showing signs of is age, in 3-4 years he won't be the same player. In other words, by the time Simmons, Embiid, and Fultz (hopefully) are really ready to compete for a title LeBron may not be all that useful.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I wonder where Lebron ends up though. I think we're seeing his last few games as a Cav. I think he goes to a team like Houston that is title ready right now.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
LeBron is 33 years old. He's already showing signs of is age, in 3-4 years he won't be the same player. In other words, by the time Simmons, Embiid, and Fultz (hopefully) are really ready to compete for a title LeBron may not be all that useful.
This is a good point but I do believe guys like Simmonds and Embid can compete in at most 2 years, they’re cornerstone talents who aren’t exactly THAT young.

Look at what Tatum and Brown are doing both of which are younger than Simmonds and Embid.

Embid is 24 right now which is around the same age Kyrie was when Cleveland won the chip in 2016

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
This is a good point but I do believe guys like Simmonds and Embid can compete in at most 2 years, they’re cornerstone talents who aren’t exactly THAT young.

Look at what Tatum and Brown are doing both of which are younger than Simmonds and Embid.

Embid is 24 right now which is around the same age Kyrie was when Cleveland won the chip in 2016
I'm not convinced Simmonds is ever going to be a cornerstone type player.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I'm not convinced Simmonds is ever going to be a cornerstone type player.
Ben Simmons? The guy that’s being touted as the next big thing AND is proving why? If it wasn’t for Donavan Mitchell being drafted 12th? overall everyone would be talking about Simmons as the next big thing in this league.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York

Maybe, hopefully. The thing about Embiid is though, he didn’t start playing basketball until he was 15. Then after college he missed two years because of injury. The guy just has not played a lot of ball for someone his age and he’s still fairly raw. With Simmons it comes down to how long (if ever) it takes him to develop a credible mid-range game. Maybe that happens next year, but maybe it doesn’t. Giannis is kind of a similar player and he still doesn’t have much of an outside game (more than Simmons though). Those flaws and weaknesses get exposed by good teams in the playoffs (Boston series).

Personally I would rather see the Sixers let these guys develop for 1-2 more years before going all in for a free agent.

Reactions: DangleCity

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
Ben Simmons? The guy that’s being touted as the next big thing AND is proving why? If it wasn’t for Donavan Mitchell being drafted 12th? overall everyone would be talking about Simmons as the next big thing in this league.
I thought he played very poorly in the playoffs and the inability to shoot really stuck out. I think that inability will eventually be what keeps him from being an elite player.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Another one-sided quarter to start this game.

Thompson has played well against Horford in the past but it's still weird how Horford has gone from being one of the best players in the playoffs to invisible with this match up. Smart move by Lue.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Lots of people hate the Cavs and the Warriors and the Lakers but there’s not many teams I hate more than this years Celtics. I only expect it to get worse next season.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
This game is a mess with all of these dumb foul calls on both teams. How does the NBA not realize this happens more often than not when Scott Foster is involved?

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Durant signing with the Warriors has killed all the drama in the league, nobody else has a chance. I wouldn't be surprised if the Warriors won 4 or 5 straight championships depending on where Lebron signs. Boring and predictable.
I think it was the threat of LeBron creating another super team was the reasoning behind adding Durrant to an already championship roster. They beat Lebron to it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad