NBA 2018 NBA Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Virtanen18

SAMCRO
Jan 25, 2014
Vancouver
Kings comin for him

I don't blame Kawhi for the decision. I think he has to share some of the blame for the ugliness of this whole situation, but the Spurs handled it extremely poorly.

Last edited:

LaVar

Jul 31, 2013
Kings comin for him

I don't blame Kawhi for the decision. I think he has to share some of the blame for the ugliness of this whole situation, but the Spurs handled it extremely poorly.
Kawhi has handled this worse than the Spurs.

Now reports coming out SA officially found out he wants out via social media? Not even talking to Popovich face to face despite both being in NY this past week?

**** him

Virtanen18

SAMCRO
Jan 25, 2014
Vancouver

Now reports coming out SA officially found out he wants out via social media? Not even talking to Popovich face to face despite both being in NY this past week?

**** him
San Antonio could have easily leaked that to save some face. Taking everything post trade request with a grain of salt

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
If I'm the Spurs, I know I'm not even getting fifty cents on the dollar for Kawhi, I trade him anywhere I know he doesn't want to go.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Kings comin for him

I hope Divac doesn't assume Kawhi is going to re-sign with the Kings if he makes a move for him.

**** him

Apparently his uncle is the one pushing to get him to NY/LA where he can grow his brand and be more marketable. Even tho its clear that he's more of a Tim Duncan type.

If I'm the Spurs, I know I'm not even getting fifty cents on the dollar for Kawhi, I trade him anywhere I know he doesn't want to go.

Why? If you trade him to LA or another city he wants to be in, he'd probably sign an extension as apart of the deal.

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
Why? If you trade him to LA or another city he wants to be in, he'd probably sign an extension as apart of the deal.
And where does that get the Spurs? A slightly bigger haul, and his antics this year get rewarded? No thx. I get what you're saying, but you'll get sixty cents on the dollar instead of forty. They're screwed regardless, I'd at least make sure he doesn't get rewarded for screwing me.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
And where does that get the Spurs? A slightly bigger haul, and his antics this year get rewarded? No thx. I get what you're saying, but you'll get sixty cents on the dollar instead of forty. They're screwed regardless, I'd at least make sure he doesn't get rewarded for screwing me.

When trading an elite talent, or really any player, the goal is to get the best return possible. The Spurs are also the last organization in all of sports who would play such a petulant game.

And if Kawhi agrees to an extension beforehand they will get a little more than 60 cents on the dollar. Elite players don't come cheap when you have them locked down.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta

**** him
Popovich has had a couple of months since the Spurs were eliminated to meet with Kawhi. Where's the blame on him/the Spurs?

Fact of the matter is this: Kawhi doesn't trust San Antonio anymore, and that's the driving force behind this. Frankly, I don't blame him. They took shots at him through the media all year long, they privately berated him, they didn't want him getting a second opinion. Kawhi hasn't handled this perfectly, but the blame falls more on the Spurs.

Reactions: Virtanen18

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
When trading an elite talent, or really any player, the goal is to get the best return possible. The Spurs are also the last organization in all of sports who would play such a petulant game.

And if Kawhi agrees to an extension beforehand they will get a little more than 60 cents on the dollar. Elite players don't come cheap when you have them locked down.
Time will tell I guess. I can't see them doing a whole lot better than that even with a sign and trade, and without one well then there's absolutely no way I trade him anywhere he wants to go. I agree it's a cut off your nose to spite your face approach, I just think they're screwed regardless, and if it's me I feel a little better knowing I didn't give the guy what he wants.

LaVar

Jul 31, 2013
Popovich has had a couple of months since the Spurs were eliminated to meet with Kawhi. Where's the blame on him/the Spurs?

Fact of the matter is this: Kawhi doesn't trust San Antonio anymore, and that's the driving force behind this. Frankly, I don't blame him. They took shots at him through the media all year long, they privately berated him, they didn't want him getting a second opinion. Kawhi hasn't handled this perfectly, but the blame falls more on the Spurs.
Lol what? Are you suggesting they haven't even tried to contact Kawhi after being eliminated? In what world would that be in their best interests, whether or not they are going to trade him?

And half the "shots" were because Kawhi wouldn't talk to them, hence Pop telling reports they should "ask his group"...

He didn't show up to playoff games, anything. Literally gave up on the team. Multiple reports saying he refused to meet Pop when both were in NYC this past week...? And then there's the entire uncle poking his nose in story...

Maybe if he didn't have such a terrible personality he wouldn't need to go to a big market like LA to be "marketable"...

LaVar

Jul 31, 2013
Time will tell I guess. I can't see them doing a whole lot better than that even with a sign and trade, and without one well then there's absolutely no way I trade him anywhere he wants to go. I agree it's a cut off your nose to spite your face approach, I just think they're screwed regardless, and if it's me I feel a little better knowing I didn't give the guy what he wants.
He would get that in the coming year, then.

At this point if we're going to trade him get the best return possible. If he wants to go to LA, request nothing short of Ingram +.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York

I saw a report that said Pop and Kawhi have been in touch but haven’t met face to face yet. I suspect that’s more due to Kawhi than Pop.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

To be pair Pop has yet to meet with Kawhi but on the flipside, I can almost guarantee its Leonards uncle whos driving a wedge in between the two. Kawhi's main issue is playing in SA isn't good from a marketing/influence perspective. Duncan never cared to be a well-known player off the court or have his own shoe line. Kawhi was thought to have been like that but it doesn't seem like the case now.

Example A is Jordan Brand recently offered him 20 million/4 years to extend his shoe contract whereas Lonzo got offered 20 million/5 years before even paying a game. Why? Because he plays for the Lakers. Kawhi wants to play in a massive market and I guess from his POV he already has a ring so hes got that covered.

Ok but why? Just to spite him? Its a shit situation but you need to get the best return; not screw the guy over.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

Interesting. He needs time to develop so having him play behind Lowry for a year or two could be good for him. Not that it really matters but having another Canadian on the Raptors would be cool.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Lol what? Are you suggesting they haven't even tried to contact Kawhi after being eliminated? In what world would that be in their best interests, whether or not they are going to trade him?

And half the "shots" were because Kawhi wouldn't talk to them, hence Pop telling reports they should "ask his group"...

He didn't show up to playoff games, anything. Literally gave up on the team. Multiple reports saying he refused to meet Pop when both were in NYC this past week...? And then there's the entire uncle poking his nose in story...

Maybe if he didn't have such a terrible personality he wouldn't need to go to a big market like LA to be "marketable"...
Don't be ridiculous. If the Spurs, and more specifically Greg Popovich, wanted to have a serious face-to-face with Kawhi Leonard, they could make it happen at some point over the last TWO MONTHS.

The shots at Kawhi were because he got a second opinion, and that opinion was different from the Spurs' medical staff. Tony Parker literally came out and blasted him saying his injury was way worse and that he didn't understand why Kawhi was taking so long to recover.

How do you know he has a terrible personality? Or is this just some vendetta you've got against the guy.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California

Interesting. He needs time to develop so having him play behind Lowry for a year or two could be good for him. Not that it really matters but having another Canadian on the Raptors would be cool.

Didn't Clippers just hire someone that is close to DeRozan? Maybe something around 12th+ for him?

LaVar

Jul 31, 2013
Don't be ridiculous. If the Spurs, and more specifically Greg Popovich, wanted to have a serious face-to-face with Kawhi Leonard, they could make it happen at some point over the last TWO MONTHS.

The shots at Kawhi were because he got a second opinion, and that opinion was different from the Spurs' medical staff. Tony Parker literally came out and blasted him saying his injury was way worse and that he didn't understand why Kawhi was taking so long to recover.

How do you know he has a terrible personality? Or is this just some vendetta you've got against the guy.
Agree to disagree.

And why would I have a vendetta against the guy lol. I'm a Spurs fan and own a Kawhi jersey...

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Agree to disagree.

And why would I have a vendetta against the guy lol. I'm a Spurs fan and own a Kawhi jersey...
"Maybe if he didn't have such a terrible personality" yet from most accounts, usually reporters that speak to him privately, he's got a fantastic attitude and is quite outgoing. He just doesn't feel the need to publicly showcase his personality all the time like most other stars, and that's perfectly fine.

LaVar

Jul 31, 2013
"Maybe if he didn't have such a terrible personality" yet from most accounts, usually reporters that speak to him privately, he's got a fantastic attitude and is quite outgoing. He just doesn't feel the need to publicly showcase his personality all the time like most other stars, and that's perfectly fine.
What did I say that was false? Maybe I could've worded it better, but this guy is literally as quiet as you can get -- even to his own GM and coach.

And there's nothing wrong with that, but don't expect to get great endorsements / shoe deals then. He wouldn't need to go to a big market like LA to get exposure if he "publicly showcased" his personality even to a small extent...

edit: To elaborate -- by "terrible personality" I meant in the sense of how it's hard to market him. Personally don't care if he's a robot, doesn't talk, etc... just frustrating to see reports suggesting he wants to go to LA for exposure/better endorsements... Sorry if that wasn't clear.

Last edited:

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Didn't Clippers just hire someone that is close to DeRozan? Maybe something around 12th+ for him?

Doesn't seem crazy. The Clippers apparently want to win and DeRozan would help. They did just dump Griffin's contract though so maybe they don't want to add a big contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad