NBA 2018 NBA Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

effen

Feb 3, 2018
its very likely the Spurs did something, or KL perceives they did something bad wrt his recovery.

if he's overly sensitive about his health and his livelihood, well, he should be

sometimes things just don't work out. you move on. he clearly wants to move on. I don't see what the outrage is here except another non-athlete shaking their fist at a guy getting paid to play a kids game or whatever. keep scoring those scorching internet messageboard points, Taylor Hall. Do God's work.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
I think he realizes the Spurs best days are behind them so instead of risking hurting his future contract for a 1st-2nd round team, he'd rather go this route.

If that's the case, he's the kind of player I'd avoid if I were managing a team.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
its very likely the Spurs did something, or KL perceives they did something bad wrt his recovery.

if he's overly sensitive about his health and his livelihood, well, he should be

sometimes things just don't work out. you move on. he clearly wants to move on. I don't see what the outrage is here except another non-athlete shaking their fist at a guy getting paid to play a kids game or whatever. keep scoring those scorching internet messageboard points, Taylor Hall. Do God's work.

The Spurs are my team and watching someone "steal" 20M$ to play in 9 games and force the hand of the organization that actually believed in you from day #1 is a bitch move, there's really no way around it.

If he wanted out, which seems to be the case, you don't do it publicly and you sure as hell don't say that you're going to the Lakers the second you hit free agency.

I couldn't care less if the Spurs do move Leonard but he's going about it the worst way possible. The team I cheer for has been a model of consistency for the past 2 decades and I'll tend to side with that over someone who's crapping all over the place.

I'd say the exact same thing if he did that to any other team in the league. People in today's world have little to no recognition towards people who made them move forward in life. If he felt cheated by the Spurs, he has every right to be pissed... its just the way he's going about it that is absolute nonsense.

Reactions: Voight and Morozov

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
He went back a 2nd time and was cleared but whatever you say. BTW how convenient for him that his doctors, who aren't investing 20M$ on KL, would have an opinion that would favour him.

It's as if you think the Spurs would be dumb enough to possibly cause more damage to their franchise player and for what exactly? They still made the playoffs without him, so it's not as if they were a bottom feeding team without him and needed him to return asap.

If you want to stand by someone who drops at the first sign of adversity, then by all means, root for Leonard. He let his entire team down, the organization that believed in him as of day #1, a coach that was able to turn him into a elite player and most importantly, the fans.

This primadonna attitude he's been displaying for the past several months isn't what the Spurs are all about and I'll go with their track record over some idiot who's forcing his way out because he wants to play in LA when he's still under contract.
Lol. Man, you are taking this way, way too hard. I get you're a Spurs fan, but the Spurs aren't perfect. Like I said, Kawhi deserves blame, but the Spurs also deserve blame. The Spurs aren't an infallible organization.

And that article was from April, so clearly someone either jumped the gun or once again, he was incorrectly cleared.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

Nuggets had to get him locked up this year. One of my favourite players to watch.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Interesting signing by Boston. :thumbu:

from nbcsports.com:

The Celtics are on the cusp of once again tapping into the European basketball market for talent, with the impending signing of Brad Wanamaker.

ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski was first to report the deal.

A 6-foot-4 guard who played collegiately at Pitt, Wanamaker turns 29 next month and was a man in demand with a handful of teams, including the Brooklyn Nets, expressing interest in signing him. Wanamaker has spent his entire pro basketball career playing overseas as well as in the Development (now Gatorade) League with the Austin Spurs.

He's averaged 14.9 points and 4.9 assists and shot 43 percent, 36 percent from 3, in three Euroleague seasons. Wanamaker was MVP of the Turkish finals with Fenerbahce.

Diddy

Feb 20, 2015
SK
Looks like they got most of the awards right except for ROY - should have been Mitchell.

Closest rookie race we've seen in a while.

I don't think it was really close. Or if it was it shouldn't have been. The only argument for Donavan is that "Ben Simmons isn't a rookie" which is a bad argument. Sure he scored a bit more but Simmons was much much more impactful.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I don't think it was really close. Or if it was it shouldn't have been. The only argument for Donavan is that "Ben Simmons isn't a rookie" which is a bad argument. Sure he scored a bit more but Simmons was much much more impactful.

Mitchell was way more impactful, and was also better.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I see so many people claiming Mitchell should be ROY and I swear it's because of his playoff performance vs Simmons' performance, or lack thereof, in the 2nd round especially.

In the regular season, it wasn't even close - Ben Simmons was by far the best rookie. I don't even think Mitchell started hyping himself up for ROY until the playoffs.

Reactions: Diddy

Virtanen18

SAMCRO
Jan 25, 2014
Vancouver
I might be missing something obvious here, but when people bring up how he was initially cleared to play the second time, what does that prove? That he willingly held out when healthy? I doubt he would do that.

On the night of March 21, as Leonard walked through the corridors of the AT&T Center after the Spurs beat the Washington Wizards, ESPN asked him if the simplest explanation to this situation -- that he was hurt and genuinely didn't feel like he could play yet -- was actually the truest answer.

Leonard nodded, then said, "I mean, why else would I not be playing?"

"People are just looking for spin," Leonard continued. "I haven't been here long. I've been here six years. The Spurs have been here way longer than that. People are gonna go with that take first."
Finally, a small peek into the window of his thoughts. But before Leonard could expound on it, a Spurs communications staffer -- who ostensibly could not hear what Leonard was saying but saw he was talking to a reporter -- abruptly ended the conversation.

Leonard, who subsequently declined an interview request submitted through his agent and did not respond to a personal email, would not make another public appearance at a Spurs game after that night.
Also, everyone wanted Kawhi to talk more to the media about this whole situation. He talks to Ramona Shelburne and is quickly whisked away by Spurs PR. Umm...

Reactions: Avs_19

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I might be missing something obvious here, but when people bring up how he was initially cleared to play the second time, what does that prove? That he willingly held out when healthy? I doubt he would do that.

Also, everyone wanted Kawhi to talk more to the media about this whole situation. He talks to Ramona Shelburne and is quickly whisked away by Spurs PR. Umm...

There must've been something still bothering him because I can't see him intentionally not playing while being healthy. However, the Spurs were listing him out with "return from injury management" and then kept saying go ask Kawhi's people when he's coming back so that makes you wonder if they thought he was still injured or not. This is the same organization that really started the whole DNP-Rest thing and extended the careers of many players so they deserve some benefit of the doubt here, even though apparently the original injury was misdiagnosed. It's just a weird situation.

Reactions: Virtanen18

Virtanen18

SAMCRO
Jan 25, 2014
Vancouver
There must've been something still bothering him because I can't see him intentionally not playing while being healthy. However, the Spurs were listing him out with "return from injury management" and then kept saying go ask Kawhi's people when he's coming back so that makes you wonder if they thought he was still injured or not. This is the same organization that really started the whole DNP-Rest thing and extended the careers of many players so they deserve some benefit of the doubt here, even though apparently the original injury was misdiagnosed. It's just a weird situation.
For sure. What I've heard most from reputable sources is that he was cleared by Spurs doctors but didn't feel comfortable enough to play. And the second opinion showed there was an actual issue with his quad, so the second opinion doctors and the Spurs doctors agreed on his rehab plan in New York that would take him out for the season. But the potshots at Kawhi by Pop and teammates are just strange as hell considering that.

Reactions: Avs_19

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
6 of the 8 top scorers in NBA history played for the lakers at one point or another in their careers

kareem
malone
kobe
wilt
lebron
shaq

Reactions: Voight
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad