OT: 2018 MLB Thread

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Pretty Ricky with a different view

Hell of a match up and hell of a team.

Looking forward to a renewed rivalry next season :)

Hope to see some of you on the Sox train (not likely I’m sure)

Haha I don't really care if the Sox win, but I'm not a huge Yankees fan. Although I don't dislike the Yankees either. I always felt you could like the Mets and Yankees, since they aren't really rivals and up until 21 years ago, they didn't even play each other unless it was a world series matchup. A lot of my family are Yankees fans, so I'd root for them when I was younger and in the playoffs, except for that world series against the Mets.

Reactions: Alicat

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Haha I don't really care if the Sox win, but I'm not a huge Yankees fan. Although I don't dislike the Yankees either. I always felt you could like the Mets and Yankees, since they aren't really rivals and up until 21 years ago, they didn't even play each other unless it was a world series matchup. A lot of my family are Yankees fans, so I'd root for them when I was younger and in the playoffs, except for that world series against the Mets.
I always wondered how those in the area chose what team to root for.

You guys have built in AL/NL teams.

Houston scares me

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
Do teams always take a team picture out on the field after winning a division series playoff round? Seriously? Has it really been that long since I followed baseball that closely? I can't remember that actually being a thing. Only after winning the ALCS/NLCS and world series.

I think they have. But you know the Sox definitely were going to do it because it was the Yankees. Not sure about the team picture aspect. That seems like something to do when you win a pennant or World Series.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I think they have. But you know the Sox definitely were going to do it because it was the Yankees. Not sure about the team picture aspect. That seems like something to do when you win a pennant or World Series.
Yeah, I kind of thought the Red Sox did it because it was at Yankee Stadium.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011

Houston scares me
The Yankees fanbase is obviously bigger than the Mets, for various reasons. They're a much older franchise and much more successful. Mets fans were actually pretty rare where I lived in Bergen County, New Jersey. Pretty close to the George Washington Bridge. I think I chose the Mets because I wanted to be different and everyone liked the Yankees. This was also my rationale for picking the Devils over the Rangers or Islanders as a kid. The Mets fanbase has historically been heavier out on Long Island than in New Jersey, while New Jersey is heavily Yankees. The Mets do have a decent following in New Jersey though.

One other thing that I always remember and it's funny because I still notice they seem to be heavily synonymous with one another. Most Yankees fans are Giants fans (NFL Giants) and most Mets fans are Jets fans. I was always an outlier in that regard and I used to take a lot of shit for it in school. I was a Mets and Giants fans. These days I don't watch football at all and really haven't care much about it since elementary school and haven't even followed it at all in over 20 years, outside of when my best friend has it on when I go to his house on Sunday.

Reactions: Alicat

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
Hogwash.

I could only bring myself to cheer for the Yankees once, and that was during the Marlins WS. The reason being is because I was in the SW and tired of hearing people say f**k NY every time we went out to watch a game.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn

Houston scares me
I grew up in a mets household across the street from a grandfather who absolutely loathed the AL and instilled that in me from a very young age. To this day I think AL ball is a ridiculous way to play the game.

My father accidentally made me a giants fan and I raise that point whenever I feel like pissing off a jets season ticket holder of 31 years. I mean, my first real memory of football is the 91 super bowl and that's because he brought me to a party where the guy had it on one of the first large screen tv's - the ones that were as large and heavy as refrigerator perry.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Hogwash.

I could only bring myself to cheer for the Yankees once, and that was during the Marlins WS. The reason being is because I was in the SW and tired of hearing people say f**k NY every time we went out to watch a game.
What's the big deal about being a Yankees and Mets fan? Or Giants and Jets? It's not like someone who likes both the Rangers and Devils or Knicks and Nets, etc.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
The Yankees fanbase is obviously bigger than the Mets, for various reasons. They're a much older franchise and much more successful. Mets fans were actually pretty rare where I lived in Bergen County, New Jersey. Pretty close to the George Washington Bridge. I think I chose the Mets because I wanted to be different and everyone liked the Yankees. This was also my rationale for picking the Devils over the Rangers or Islanders as a kid. The Mets fanbase has historically been heavier out on Long Island than in New Jersey, while New Jersey is heavily Yankees. The Mets do have a decent following in New Jersey though.

One other thing that I always remember and it's funny because I still notice they seem to be heavily synonymous with one another. Most Yankees fans are Giants fans (NFL Giants) and most Mets fans are Jets fans. I was always an outlier in that regard and I used to take a lot of **** for it in school. I was a Mets and Giants fans. These days I don't watch football at all and really haven't care much about it since elementary school and haven't even followed it at all in over 20 years, outside of when my best friend has it on when I go to his house on Sunday.
Often times I find that the mets and Yankees are split along cultural lines. Most Italians and Dominicans are Yankee fans where as the Irish and Asians tend to go for the Mets.

Which would partially explain why Bergen is so heavily slanted towards the Bronx where as it's split pretty evenly down the shore.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
What's the big deal about being a Yankees and Mets fan? Or Giants and Jets? It's not like someone who likes both the Rangers and Devils or Knicks and Nets, etc.
Jets and Giants are a completely different dynamic imo. Perhaps I feel that way because I'm pretty much one of those people who does root for both, but I've met plenty of the same types. I don't believe I've never met anyone who cheers for the Mets and Yankees unless one is playing the others arch nemesis. The hatred from the national league fans in and around this town has always existed as has the general perceived pompous arrogance of the evil empire fans. I don't care enough about baseball to argue with others in public about it, but that's just how it is.

EDIT: the amount of games also plays a part in it I imagine. Who could possibly find the time or energy to care about 324+ games per year? I can't watch baseball at all until July as it is. 1-7pm for 16 Sundays in the fall and winter is much more manageable.

Last edited:

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Often times I find that the mets and Yankees are split along cultural lines. Most Italians and Dominicans are Yankee fans where as the Irish and Asians tend to go for the Mets.

Which would partially explain why Bergen is so heavily slanted towards the Bronx where as it's split pretty evenly down the shore.
Well I'm Irish and Italian and I went for the Mets, but my Italian grandmother and German grandfather actually loved the Yankees.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Ha, Rick. I give him props for calling out the big guy but the Yanks were swinging at pitches early in every count and induced tons of ground ball outs so it’s not like Rick had to work many counts.

No one can truly believe Angel Hernandez is a decent umpire, he’s pretty universally hated.

RangerDoggo

The Devils have a culture of failure
Feb 3, 2016
Brooklyn via NJ, like the Nets
You forgot the celtics who could take courtside naps for most playoff games and still make it to the finals.
I am well aware, or as well aware as I can be for being completely indifferent to the NBA. Every time I want to get back into following basketball, something pushes me away. This time it was LeBron to the Lakers followed by the Warriors becoming even more invincible.

RangerDoggo

Feb 3, 2016
I realize it’s been one season for Boone, but it’s unfair that he gets to stay after his massive screw-up in Game 3 while Girardi isn’t given a chance to get a new contract after getting an ahead-of-schedule team within one game of the World Series. I will always be angry about this.

New Jersey

(pacmanghost x) sad again
Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
I realize it’s been one season for Boone, but it’s unfair that he gets to stay after his massive screw-up in Game 3 while Girardi isn’t given a chance to get a new contract after getting an ahead-of-schedule team within one game of the World Series. I will always be angry about this.

if that ball leaves sanchez' bat at like one degree less of an angle, walk off grand slam.

you will drive yourself crazy this winter with what ifs.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
if that ball leaves sanchez' bat at like one degree less of an angle, walk off grand slam.

you will drive yourself crazy this winter with what ifs.

He still managed the game badly. Using Lynn in game 3 was bad. Not having CC on a shorter leash in an elimination game was worse (and I don’t get why Happ didn’t get another shot).

Team needs a big time contact hitter. Why in hindsight I don’t like the Staten move. They didn’t need more home runs.

Horrible numbers with RISP. Only 6 extra base hits with 4 being home runs. Only two doubles all series?!? You can’t win like that. They simply needed a hit in that 9th. Not the hero swings Mike and Gary were taking.

I bet you there is a game Thursday if Gardner was up over Staten.

On top of getting only one good start from a starter.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
He still managed the game badly. Using Lynn in game 3 was bad. Not having CC on a shorter leash in an elimination game was worse (and I don’t get why Happ didn’t get another shot).

Honestly if Boone was the manager in the WC game last year I don't think they get out of that one alive either. Girardi for his idiosyncrascies recognized that in elimination games you can't afford to have patience with starting pitchers who clearly don't have it. Boone the last two games didn't, and even in the WC this year I thought he had no business going back to Severino in the fifth inning after that draining fourth.

RangerDoggo

Feb 3, 2016
Horrible numbers with RISP. Only 6 extra base hits with 4 being home runs. Only two doubles all series?!? You can’t win like that. They simply needed a hit in that 9th. Not the hero swings Mike and Gary were taking.
Hate to break it to you, but this has been a consistent problem for the past five seasons. Every time there is so much as a toe on base, Yankee batters shit themselves. There are only two things I can think of that causes this problem. Either it’s the hitting coach telling them to constantly swing for the fences (in which case, fire him immediately), or it’s a psychological problem (in which case, get a really good shrink or something).

Reactions: New Jersey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad