OT: 2018 MLB Thread

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
It's more than that even...they gave up two top prospects and had to take back $100 million of Cano's $120 million lol. Sure they offloaded Bruce and Swarzak, big deal - not gonna help us in years 3-5 when Cano becomes a total albatross.

They could have basically made this same deal for Diaz and been better off but they assumed just about all the risk on Cano.

Devilsgrl35

Feb 15, 2009
New York
There was no need to include Bruce in this deal. That's why we lost these prospects. But this rookie GM, who is a puppet of the owner, doesn't know what he's doing. They made this trade more complicated than it needed to be.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
So the Mets traded for a closer in part to block the Phillies from getting him. Maybe they should concentrate on being in a position to need a closer first?

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
So the Mets traded for a closer in part to block the Phillies from getting him. Maybe they should concentrate on being in a position to need a closer first?

If they stay healthy they will. But they never seem to. But if the Mets have a year where they are not totally destroyed by injuries I think they will compete for a playoff spot of some sort.

The Mets saw what happened last year with all the games they let slip away because of a bad pen. People just call the Mets a gong show because we're used to them being a gong show without truly analyzing what they do. This isn't really a gong show move. Maybe it will end up being one but it's not now.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

I'd rather not hear from Jeff again anytime soon. Sadly the agent knows more about running a team than he does.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I see the word “spurned” a lot with Corbin, but what did people expect him to do? Washington offered him 6 years, you can’t turn that down.

Time for Happ to come on down.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Yeah the Nats basically pulled a shut up and take my money move on Corbin, the way the Yankees did with Sabathia way back when he didn't want to go there as a FA. And it's actually the perfect situation for him too because he doesn't have to walk in as the ace despite getting all that money.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Some smoke floating around on a possible three team trade between Yanks, Mets, and Marlins.

Realmuto js a name potentially going to the Mets. Yanks apparently are open to trading Andujar. Mets not as open in trading Syndergaard. At least not for just Realmuto

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I guess the willingness to part with Andujar means Machado is a distinct possibility.

Guess we will see what unfolds.

Andujar to the Marlins, Realmuto to the Mets, and Thor to the Yanks seems to be the idea.

I have a hard time seeing the Mets going for that even if they add more on top of Realmuto. Hell even if the return for Thor is good I am not sure the Wilpon’s do it because it means he goes to the Yanks.

Yanks are also apparently considering just trading for Realmuto straight up, but that just sounds like a tactic to scare the Mets into a deal.

Last edited:

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Mets not as open in trading Syndergaard.

I think the Mets would be crazy to trade Thor. I think the Mets would be even crazier to trade deGrom.

The problem with trading players like them, is that you are highly likely to NOT get a better player back in a trade, because few players are better than they are.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
No, they want us to trade him to the Yankees so they can get whatever they're getting from the Yankees in the rumored three-team deal (which I presume is Andujar).

It's: Mets get Realmuto and whatever, Yankees get Thor and whatever, Marlins get Andujar (?) and whatever. Yeah we'd get the short end of the straw in that but Brodie really wants his clients - other than Thor.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
No, they want us to trade him to the Yankees so they can get whatever they're getting from the Yankees in the rumored three-team deal (which I presume is Andujar).

It's: Mets get Realmuto and whatever, Yankees get Thor and whatever, Marlins get Andujar (?) and whatever. Yeah we'd get the short end of the straw in that but Brodie really wants his clients - other than Thor.

Yes that’s the idea. Supposedly the agent really wants Realmuto. Marlins seem to really like the Yanks package (assuming it includes Andujar+) and of course the Yanks want Thor.

The hang up is the Mets not wanting to trade Thor, which makes sense too.

Mets are trying to deal with the Marlins directly for him, but Miami is apparently balkng because they much prefer what the Yanks are offering.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I actually think they do want to trade him, they've floated his damn name in rumors enough you wonder why Brodie wants to trade Thor his client. But they don't want to get ONLY Realmuto back which is obvious.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Kid A: Cool new toy

Kid B: Junky 1950's Space toy

Kid C: Cool new toy

Kid B wants Kid A's cool new toy, and he asks kid C to swap his 1950's space trash for Kid C's Cool toy, so that he can have a cool toy to trade with Kid A.

That's how I interpret this based on the reporting. There's gotta' be more in it for the Mets than's being reported. In any event, it would be moronic to trade Thor.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Well it seems initially the Yanks were open to something else from the Mets, but once it became clear what they would need to send to Miami they locked in on Syn or bust.

I have a hard time seeing the Mets getting enough to make trading him to the Yanks worth it even if they want Realmuto so badly.

Last edited:

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
I want to keep Andujar, tvym.

Trading Thor after acquiring Cano would be *peak* Mets.

Instead of losing games 2-1 they can lose 10-8.

Either way they are losing, so may as well give the Yanks Thor. :nod:

Please?

Pretty please?

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
17 million a season for Happ sounds scary. Especially with a 3rd year option. Glad they are trying to fortify the rotation though.

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
I'm so happy the Mets kept thor and went for Ramos at catcher.

Thor >> Realmuto

Thor + Ramos >>>> Realmuto

Reactions: NJDevs26

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->