2018 Management Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Not if you take the approach that the asset squandered was the 4th round pick. Sunk Cost and Endowment Effect apply to recouping value on Pouliot, which was never really in the offing.

Asset management is still a thing with people who understand the fallacy and the psychological effects you describe.

Losing interest in Pouliot = Good thing.

99.9% of people don't understand it so it is misunderstood and misused to the point where its utility is marginalized beyond repair.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
If Benning signs guys he can flip at the next two deadlines, then we'll have finally done what we should have done AT THE ABSOLUTE LATEST in 2016-2017.

The time for deadline flips was (as you say) a couple years ago, when the team sucked and we had no young players ready to step in.

But that time is done and gone. We do have young players ready to play and those should be the priority, not boxing them out with some crappy veteran we're hoping to get a 4th rounder for in April. It's a false economy to be thinking those picks are a 'win' at the expense of developing players that actually matter.

As usual, Simple Jim is a day late and a dollar short and is doing now what he should have been doing 3 years ago.

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002
With regards to the draft... I think Hughes was their guy 100% no matter who was there aside from Svechnikov and Dahlin of course.

I think if you put the two quotes together from Brian Burke and Jim Hughes it seems like the Canucks told the Hughes family something similar to this: "We 100% want to draft Quinn and he's our guy. If he's available we're taking him. We're exploring options to trade up to make sure we get him, however if it we're confident he'll fall to us we won't do a deal, nor will we if it doesn't make sense for the organization."

Hughes gave an interview on the radio where he basically said he knew he wouldn't fall past Vancouver.

Nick1219

Mar 15, 2012
Hughes gave an interview on the radio where he basically said he knew he wouldn't fall past Vancouver.
Yup and Jim Hughes also said that the Canucks were looking at trading up. Makes it seem pretty obvious that this was the guy they wanted. Not buying that they had any interest in Kotkaniemi or Hayton so long as Hughes was on the board.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Off topic but, TIL John Weisbrod was the gm who traded Tracy Mcgrady to the Rockets back in 2004.

Am i the only one who didnt know he was the GM for an NBA team?

thefeebster

Mar 13, 2009
Vancouver
Off topic but, TIL John Weisbrod was the gm who traded Tracy Mcgrady to the Rockets back in 2004.

Am i the only one who didnt know he was the GM for an NBA team?
This was a big topic when news broke that he was going to hired here. There are some pretty bad quotes about Weisbrod stemming from that.

Reactions: shortshorts

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Even you yourself recently admitted that you would give him a C+ or B grade now and that he's improved - or do you refute saying that?

His contracts have been a lot better - no more onerous ones like previously - him and his team seem to have a much better understanding that we are actually rebuilding. Will see what he does next week but I have a feeling he won't be giving out term like many people were concerned with.

Drafting has been pretty solid - it's still a wait and see approach but he's already drafted us 2 soon to be superstars - with any luck that will be 3 with Hughes.

Pro scouting has been pretty rough still - whoever is running that needs to get fired.

Overall though I think he's improved immensely. Granted the bar may have been set rather low but barring an absolute disaster (which this season very well could be - some of these line ups being floated are bottom 5 for sure unless EP happens to light it up and Hughes comes in and is a difference maker) I think Benning is here to stay for a while - so like I said - buckle up folks - you might want to learn to live with the fact it looks like Benning isn't going anywhere.

Brett Henning is the Head Of Pro Scouting.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
In Weisbrod's defence (I never thought I'd use those words), he should have never been hired to be an NBA executive and the fact that that happened is more baffling than anything this front office has pulled off. So I don't really give a f*** that he made that brutal McGrady trade. It's entirely on the Orlando Magic owner and that franchise has always been consistently pretty lackluster.

It's like if we hired Wally Buono to be our GM.

Weisbrod should be judged on his hockey-related actions, which are abysmal in their own right.

Reactions: racerjoe and MS

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Thank you this reminder.

The fact we kept going for the flames bust picks is ridiculous. Makes us look bad.

What is weisbrod in charge of exactly?

It's pretty nebulous iirc. It always tends to be with that guy. Ever since his Calgary days, he's struck me as a con man who worms his way into weak management groups with his Old School Hockey connections to his Old School Hockey buddies but can't actually do anything worth shit. Nothing about his tenure here has demonstrated anything different.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
You’re not following: They restricted themselves to a centre or dman. That’s what has been put forth. So it’s not wholly due to how the draft would have fallen, it has the caveat of them drafting by need on top of how it would have fallen. That’s nuts.

Again, this mythical BPA of yours often don't exist outside of the first pick or two in most drafts and whether it's Chicago or the Canucks, teams draft the BPA for their respective teams. And you need to get with the times. Teams are clearly taking into consideration "asset value." Dahlin and Schvenikov were clear cut #1 and #2s. And if the Canucks were at #2, they probably would have drafted Schvenikov or traded down.

Prior to the draft, Benning said they might get a player they otherwise wouldn't because some teams that might draft based on positional needs and not BPA. What do you think that means? That Zadina would fall because at least one team above would pick a C? That a team would pick a right shot Dman instead of Hughes? I am of the opinion that the above is more likely than Kotkaniemi and Hayton "falling" to them because at least a team above decided not to draft them? What is more likely to you?

Botchford said they had Kotkaniemi and Hayton ahead of Hughes. No winger would have been taken.

No he didn't. See. This is the problem with our discussions. You don't understand what you're suppose to be reading. Botchford DID NOT say the Canucks had Kotkaniemi and Hayton ahead of Hughes in the referenced linked article.

If you go by Benning's reaction, he clearly thought that Zadina was a good player but he seemed quite thrilled about drafting Hughes.

The best case scenario to them would have been a choice between Kotkaniemi, Hayton and Hughes. In that scenario, they would have picked one of the Cs per Botch. That would have been chaos. Read the Provies first and then respond.

Again. Botch didn't say that. He merely speculated what would happen in that scenario and thought that the Canucks would consider taking one of the two Cs ahead of Hughes. That's clearly different from what you twisted things to be.

Seriously dude. Just because it's in your head doesn't mean it's correct. Words have meaning.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Brett Henning has been a pro scout for Vancouver since the 10/11 season. Became the director of pro scouting this season.

Have to believe he was hired because his dad was our AGM at the time. Have to believe Benning promoted him because Henning rhymes with Benning.

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
Insane that the worst team in the league over the past 3 seasons is prioritizing keeping fringe players like Pouliot and Granlund.

Reactions: geebaan

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
We're essentially coming back with the same tire fire defense unless 1 or 2 rookies make the lineup. (Or something else happens between now and season open. Pls god.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad