2018 Management Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
How many times has a reporter provided his source?

Burke spoke to Quinn’s father before knowing about Zadina potentially dropping. If you’re saying that he would have picked Hughes regardless, that’s also not good (prioritizing position).

You think Benning would have been any less happy with any other pick?

Is Botch’s reporting “nauseating junk” every time you disagree with it, or is he vetted reporter writing what he has been told? I hope you don’t ever cite a reporter as a source...

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
How many times has a reporter provided his source?

Burke spoke to Quinn’s father before knowing about Zadina potentially dropping. If you’re saying that he would have picked Hughes regardless, that’s also not good (prioritizing position).

You think Benning would have been any less happy with any other pick?

Is Botch’s reporting “nauseating junk” every time you disagree with it, or is he vetted reporter writing what he has been told? I hope you don’t ever cite a reporter as a source...
Funny....you fall hook, line and sinker and are completely susceptible for every two bit rumour that comes out of the gutter press..What has it been lately?
-Elmer was going to seriously make a trade for Matt Duchene..?
- Kenny Holland was going to be GM of the Canucks..?

I'm still compiling the list..carry on.

Reactions: Nomobo

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
So wonder what the lines will look like in oct. Obvi will change with free agency but for now maybe:

Baertchi Horvat Boeser
Gold Gaudette PBP
Lipesic Sutter Virtanen
Eriksson Gaunce Clamato

Hughes Tanev
Edler MDZ (Del Zotto)
Juolevi Stecher
Gud Biega

Marky
Demmer

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
I knew that it was between Hughes and Dobson but I am legitimately surprised that both were available and they selected Hughes.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Funny....you fall hook, line and sinker and are completely susceptible for every two bit rumour that comes out of the gutter press..What has it been lately?

You take the rumour as the best source of information we have to what happens on the inside. What you’re doing is more egregious in that you are picking and choosing what rumour, not fact, is legitimate on a whim. No matter what the source. It’s completely arbitrary. That means you cannot cite one as a source, ever. Nor, can you refute it because you can’t rely on other rumours to the contrary. I’ll be on the look out for this.

Last, that things are rumoured to be happening does not dictate that they will happen. Rumours aren’t guarantees. If they were guarantees, they would be fact. With Duchene and Holland, those rumours were legitimate. Your evidence to the contrary was “I don’t believe it”. You turned out to be right, but you had no sourced information to the contrary. So we are left with insider info vs HF fan guessing. Can you understand why your instinct meant absolutely nothing at the time? Or, even now? I hope that you do.

Last edited:

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
What a load of nauseating junk Botchford spews out...
-Who is is the source that Botchford says the Canucks were not taking a winger?
-Didnt Burke say on the broadcast that he spoke to Quinns father,and Benning said to his father that 'he would not go past Quinn in the draft'?
-I guess Bennings giddy reaction to drafting Hughes must've been one hell of an academy performance?.

It's nauseating because Benning actually thinks this way.

Unfortunately I don't automatically hate things that are reported that go against my own narrative, so I'm sure we won't agree on this, but nothing Benning has done suggests this report by Botchford isn't true.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver

This might just be lip service but is this the first time he ever uses the world “rebuild” in an interview?

I don’t mind some grittiness on this team aka Jay Beagle as rumour suggested, but then why Bozak?

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC

Funny how every rumour that you don't like is considered a "two bit rumour" yet anything that can be used in support of Benning you'll accept as real.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Funny how every rumour that you don't like is considered a "two bit rumour" yet anything that can be used in support of Benning you'll accept as real.

Well, based on his position, he can’t accept rumours that support Benning either. He has to reject it all. Even the supposition by insiders. Otherwise, he will be criticized for exactly what he accuses others of doing.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006

This might just be lip service but is this the first time he ever uses the world “rebuild” in an interview?

I don’t mind some grittiness on this team aka Jay Beagle as rumour suggested, but then why Bozak?

Man, quotes like this make me feel like he's finally "getting it." I mean we'll see if the actions back the words, but so far that's a positive sign.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
There go all of my criticisms of Benning. As much as I loved his drafting philosophy I was always in the back of my mind worried about his philosophy on managing cap space, or lack thereof. Great to see him learning and integrating new ideas into his repertoire. OR maybe he always felt this way but was handcuffed by highly aggressive & competitive owners. We'll never know. All we know is that moving forward he's shown flashes of greatness in all areas of management, those flashes are increasing in frequency, and his bad moves (which seemed to be related to trying to delay the inevitable rebuild) are decreasing in frequency if not completely gone. The future truly is bright in every aspect of the organization now.

Reactions: Pastor Of Muppetz

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
All we know is that moving forward he's shown flashes of greatness in all areas of management, those flashes are increasing in frequency, and his bad moves (which seemed to be related to trying to delay the inevitable rebuild) are decreasing in frequency if not completely gone. The future truly is bright in every aspect of the organization now.

What flashes of brilliance have we seen regarding contracts, cap management, draft pick accumulation, trades? And when you cite one-off examples how have they increased on frequency?

pgj98m3

Jan 8, 2012
So wonder what the lines will look like in oct. Obvi will change with free agency but for now maybe:

Baertchi Horvat Boeser
Gold Gaudette PBP
Lipesic Sutter Virtanen
Eriksson Gaunce Clamato

Hughes Tanev
Edler MDZ (Del Zotto)
Juolevi Stecher
Gud Biega

Marky
Demmer
31st is not out the question.....

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
There go all of my criticisms of Benning. As much as I loved his drafting philosophy I was always in the back of my mind worried about his philosophy on managing cap space, or lack thereof. Great to see him learning and integrating new ideas into his repertoire. OR maybe he always felt this way but was handcuffed by highly aggressive & competitive owners. We'll never know. All we know is that moving forward he's shown flashes of greatness in all areas of management, those flashes are increasing in frequency, and his bad moves (which seemed to be related to trying to delay the inevitable rebuild) are decreasing in frequency if not completely gone. The future truly is bright in every aspect of the organization now.

Jumping the gun a little bit. Let's see what he does July 1. It's one thing to talk like this, but if he ends up shelling out $5M contracts to guys like Bozak or JVR or James Neal, or $3M to Ryan Reaves, I think the criticism will stand.

Reactions: timw33 and pgj98m3

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Man, quotes like this make me feel like he's finally "getting it." I mean we'll see if the actions back the words, but so far that's a positive sign.

He's learning!

He's finally getting it!

Only at the expense of literally gutting the franchise of talent through horrific pro and amateur scouting decisions and asset management.

Only after THREE years of bottom 5 finishes.

Only after being the worst team in the NHL over a 3 year period.

But he's getting it! This is acceptable to just ignore the past 4 seasons of trash fire decisions now that he's making decisions that are just table stakes to being an average NHL GM.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
For the record,I think that its good that we have a diverse media...Botchford is taking the place of Tony G,and you do need peeps in the media like Sekeres and Botchford to keep the management in check.

The problem I have with Botchford (whose Provies are an 'opinion piece') is that there never seems to be an identifiable source..yet the negatives here gobble it up as fact....Unlike someone like Jeff Patterson who will just crap on the management without bias.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
He's learning!

He's finally getting it!

Only at the expense of literally gutting the franchise of talent through horrific pro and amateur scouting decisions and asset management.

But he's getting it! This is acceptable to just ignore the past 4 seasons of trash fire decisions now that he's making decisions that are just table stakes to being an average NHL GM.
Gutting the franchise..?..really?....The franchise has absolutely no talent now?
THREE years of bottom 5 finishes..?....How many years should it have taken to to turn around an aged roster,and no prospect pool.?...TWO..?..ONE..?

Reactions: Index and Nomobo

rypper

Dec 22, 2006
For the record,I think that its good that we have a diverse media...Botchford is taking the place of Tony G,and you do need peeps in the media like Sekeres and Botchford to keep the management in check.

The problem I have with Botchford (whose Provies are an 'opinion piece') is that there never seems to be an identifiable source..yet the negatives here gobble it up as fact....Unlike someone like Jeff Patterson who will just crap on the management without bias.

I'm not sure how you can't see that two sports writers/reporters who follow the team, are with the team pretty much every day thru the season, talk to players management coaches etc all the time wouldn't have built up some kind of sources.

I don't know if you expect them to qualify every article with a bibliography of sources.

rypper

Dec 22, 2006
He's learning!

He's finally getting it!

Don't confuse me as a fan or someone who wouldn't swing the firing axe on everyone from Linden down at the earliest opportunity.

I'm just saying that if it looks like we're stuck with him for at least the next two years, comments like this in the media show that hopefully the stupid moves will be to add minimum. But we'll see if the actions match the comments.

brokenhole

Aug 12, 2015

I Mac the shill is your man.

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour
He's learning!

He's finally getting it!

Yeah - he had sooooo much left in the cupboard when he took over didn't he? I mean our prospect pool was absolutely stacked wasn't it?
SMH.......

#cuethebutwehadkeslerasanassettcries

ATypicalCanadian

Apr 30, 2015
Canada

If you want to choose not to believe Botchford that's fine, but others do. Guys who have a job of covering the team and have spent years doing so tend to have sources.

Also Benning has come out and confirmed a similar story. We can debate the order however we please, but like it or not Hayton was in their top 7.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Honestly, I think if you have a chance to add a Tavares then you do it no matter what place in your team evolution you are. So I don’t so much think he’s getting it now but rather they know they haven’t a chance at him so spin it another way.

Though I will admit my primary target in free agency would have been Carlson and then Tavares. They are the only two guys I see where if you were able to land one or two it would change how you do things. Carlson has re-signed and Tavares is going elsewhere.

That is sort of the free agent market to me. A franchise center, a franchise D-man and the a bunch of meh that I hope they don’t sign to big money, big multi year deals.

Reactions: Morenz
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad