2018 Management Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
Take it with a grain of salt but I’ve heard some chatter that Nic Petan has requested a trade back home, some people here had mused the same thing with the Green/Leipsic connection

Reactions: Luckylarry

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Take it with a grain of salt but I’ve heard some chatter that Nic Petan has requested a trade back home, some people here had mused the same thing with the Green/Leipsic connection
What’s Pétan worth now? Hutton?

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Petan? Sounds like a Benning move. Age gap. Not very good. Etc.

Can’t tell you how disappointed I was watching the Rangers, Detroit, Sens, Islanders etc making multiple first round picks as rebuilding/retooling teams and the canucks having one.

Wings with 4 picks in the top 36. Islanders with two first round picks and two more in the first half of the second round. Hell the Habs have 4 second rounders.

Benning goes into the draft without his full compliment of picks he gets for free let alone extras.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Hopefully this is the last year we have to talk about Linden and Benning. Complete utter incompetence. This draft further shows that: doesn’t even have the full set of picks they were given by the NHL, while other teams that are actually rebuilding (Detroit, Montreal, New York Rangers) have made multiple picks in the first three rounds. A player like Veleno drops in the first round and he’s unwilling/unable to move his second and third round picks to move up and pick him. Now, if he had stockpiled picks like most of us say he should, it would have been much easier to part with those picks to move up. Unbelievable how people can look at this incompetence and think that’s a good job.

Next up free agency. This is going to be hilarious seeing him waste all that cap space on garbage.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Why does he always try to acquire draft picks near the draft rather than during the TDL or throughout the season leading up to it? Draft pick value doubles around the draft as teams get their draft lists more organized... It's unforgivable to go into ANY draft, as a rebuilding team, with less than 7 picks, unless 6 of your picks are in the top 100 or something... But no. Clearly not rebuilding.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Feel like a thread on Benning and Linden's dereliction of duty is needed for their inability to add additional draft picks.

I look forward to the shine of 2017 draft wearing off and realizing that we don't have a top-5 prospect pool after all.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
Why does he always try to acquire draft picks near the draft rather than during the TDL or throughout the season leading up to it? Draft pick value doubles around the draft as teams get their draft lists more organized... It's unforgivable to go into ANY draft, as a rebuilding team, with less than 7 picks, unless 6 of your picks are in the top 100 or something... But no. Clearly not rebuilding.

Because rebuilding is just a scapegoat to fallback on when his yearly attempt to make the playoffs fails.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck

qURHLLn.jpg

Sorry, it had to be done

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
We are one of the softest teams in the league and in distant memory as a Canucks team. This draft is just a continuation that it will be indefinite. When is the myth that Benning is this throwback GM who wants this backwards, tough team going to be put to rest? I wished that it was true but it never was. Our team was soft under Gillis even when we supposedly changed course to become "The Boston Model" which was always a soft team.

Gillis had nothing on this.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
We are one of the softest teams in the league and in distant memory as a Canucks team. This draft is just a continuation that it will be indefinite. When is the myth that Benning is this throwback GM who wants this backwards, tough team going to be put to rest? I wished that it was true but it never was. Our team was soft under Gillis even when we supposedly changed course to become "The Boston Model" which was always a soft team.

Gillis had nothing on this.
It's not just that they're soft, they're...nothing. Not big, not tough, not skilled, not fast, not anything.

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
It's frustrating that they insist on coming back with the same stale uneventful players every single year. Freshen it up, I'm not really interested in seeing Markus Granlund get gifted a lineup spot to skate around and do absolutely nothing for 16 minutes a night again.

Reactions: Son of a Dawson

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
In your eyes they never do anything wrong lol
That's wrong. Muppetz does not support the first 2 or 3 years of the Benning regime.

He/she just sees optimism with the current direction.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
You know that's not going to last. This years trade for the next aged prospect on his way out from his drafted team, approaching waiver status, is right around the corner.

D0ctorCool

Dec 3, 2008
Vancouver
Hopefully this is the last year we have to talk about Linden and Benning. Complete utter incompetence. This draft further shows that: doesn’t even have the full set of picks they were given by the NHL, while other teams that are actually rebuilding (Detroit, Montreal, New York Rangers) have made multiple picks in the first three rounds. A player like Veleno drops in the first round and he’s unwilling/unable to move his second and third round picks to move up and pick him. Now, if he had stockpiled picks like most of us say he should, it would have been much easier to part with those picks to move up. Unbelievable how people can look at this incompetence and think that’s a good job.

Next up free agency. This is going to be hilarious seeing him waste all that cap space on garbage.

I love the Hughes pick, and see the logic with the Woo pick, but did we really come out of the draft ahead of many other teams? Watching the Hamonic's of the world morph into Wahlstrom's is just soul crushing. Meanwhile we're putting Chris Tanev's best years and body through the grinder for what? So we don't finish dead last? Whats the point?

ATypicalCanadian

Apr 30, 2015
Canada
Sekeres did a Q&A while waiting for his flight back to Vancouver He seems to think they could still go after Severson and he also said the Canucks do want picks.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
The interest in picks would seemingly be an about face to their practice so far... unless he mistakenly included that and the prospects part of it means more "prospects" like Pouliot, Baertschi, etc type players.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
We could draft Jack Hughes next year,and the usual suspects would still be moaning about not having enough picks...

Probably. Drafting Hughes would be the result of bad team building and/or lottery luck but you’d argue it was good GMing. Failing to acquire more picks as a rebuilding team is bad GMing but you’d dismiss it all as moaning and whining.

You’re a funny one.

Reactions: Morenz

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Probably. Drafting Hughes would be the result of bad team building and/or lottery luck but you’d argue it was good GMing. Failing to acquire more picks as a rebuilding team is bad GMing but you’d dismiss it all as moaning and whining.

You’re a funny one.
People somehow miss the benefit of having more picks is it helps you get out of the rebuild faster. It’s not fun finishing at the bottom for like 5-7 years. Next year is going to be year 4 of accidental bottom finishes.

ATypicalCanadian

Apr 30, 2015
Canada
Sekeres did a Q&A on Twitter and gave some interesting thoughts. Brought the Severson rumor back up and says they'd like to acquire picks(Thought I posted this a few minutes ago, but HF is being crazy atm).

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Why the **** does it matter if we're hosting the draft or not to acquire additional picks? They should have been acquiring additional picks YEARS ago. Absolute idiots.

Reactions: Son of a Dawson

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Petan? Sounds like a Benning move. Age gap. Not very good. Etc.

Can’t tell you how disappointed I was watching the Rangers, Detroit, Sens, Islanders etc making multiple first round picks as rebuilding/retooling teams and the canucks having one.

Wings with 4 picks in the top 36. Islanders with two first round picks and two more in the first half of the second round. Hell the Habs have 4 second rounders.

Benning goes into the draft without his full compliment of picks he gets for free let alone extras.

Two part response:

1. I don't like the "age gap" strategy either, but I think if you're evaluating players, Petan is a guy who could succeed. Whenever he's been given an actual chance to succeed in the NHL (i.e. not stapled to Thorburn) he's put up good shot metrics and even-strength rate scoring. I do think he is an NHLer, and is probably a Baertschi-calibre player or better given his track record.

2. We should definitely also be getting more picks. I similarly lamented to an Athletic draft mailbag about how few picks the Canucks had, especially when teams like MTL, DET, NYR all had 7 or 8 picks in the first 3 rounds. You'd think a person who is proud of coming from a scouting background would want more opportunities to make selections at the draft.

Bobby Digital

Jun 15, 2006
Benning is in prime position to load up on picks at the TDL this up coming season. Tanev, Edler (Should waive as hes an upcoming UFA), Baretschi, Gagner should all be moved. If we don't have 6+ picks in the first 3 rounds of next years draft then he should be fired (Not that he already shouldn't).

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I love the Hughes pick, and see the logic with the Woo pick, but did we really come out of the draft ahead of many other teams? Watching the Hamonic's of the world morph into Wahlstrom's is just soul crushing. Meanwhile we're putting Chris Tanev's best years and body through the grinder for what? So we don't finish dead last? Whats the point?

Exactly. My thoughts on Day 2 aside, you make a great point about the Canucks not really coming out ahead in this draft. You look at a team like Detroit for example. They added a ton of great prospects on both days. They've also made 21 draft picks in the past 2 drafts.

The Islanders walked out with two elite prospects. Even though they're not really rebuilding (and are mostly building on what they have...especially if they can keep Tavares), but they're stocking their pipeline to fill their roster so they can be successful even when their team salary becomes more expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->