2018 Management Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Excellent draft IMO with Hughes Woo Utuni and Madden and even the late goalie. This 6th round guy made no sense but pretty dam happy with everything else. But the obvi criticism is the lack of picks we had. Just look at what Detroit did yesterday. There going in the right direction like us but with a lot more force as so many picks so many chance for gems. Something that CANT be overlooked as a criticism of Benning and Linden even if they have improved on some aspects the last year or so

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver
Baertschi, Sutter, Granlund, Gudbranson, Pouliot, Gagner, MDZ, Biega....

All of this garbage is still here and will be on the team next year.

I can’t see Hutton or Virtanen getting much better either.

They have a good group of forwards in Horvat, Boeser and maybe Pettersson.

Start moving or waiving some of that trash

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Canucks have reached out to the Bozak camp. Reaching out to 32 year old 40ish point players. Yippee.

Of course we have to see the entirety of the summer moves but a multi year deal to Bozak would NOT be a great start IMO

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
Why would you not re-sign Archibald at essentially league minimum but give Granlund a 50% raise when Archibald outproduced Granlund this season?

Reactions: y2kcanucks

Samzilla

Prust & Dorsett are
Apr 2, 2011
Why would you not re-sign Archibald at essentially league minimum but give Granlund a 50% raise when Archibald outproduced Granlund this season?

because granlund scored 19 goals with a bum wrist! just imagine how many he'll put up once his wrist heals! :sarcasm:

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
Excellent draft IMO with Hughes Woo Utuni and Madden and even the late goalie. This 6th round guy made no sense but pretty dam happy with everything else. But the obvi criticism is the lack of picks we had. Just look at what Detroit did yesterday. There going in the right direction like us but with a lot more force as so many picks so many chance for gems. Something that CANT be overlooked as a criticism of Benning and Linden even if they have improved on some aspects the last year or so

That Gudbranson trade was in particular was the worst. Benning was high on Debrincat and traded away the 2nd weeks before the draft. I for the most part have liked have liked his drafting. If he went into more drafts with all his picks( or more picks) I might be able to get behind the guy despite all his blunders.

Huggy43

Jan 13, 2016
Burnaby, BC
Canucks have reached out to the Bozak camp. Reaching out to 32 year old 40ish point players. Yippee.

Of course we have to see the entirety of the summer moves but a multi year deal to Bozak would NOT be a great start IMO
Would you like Petterson to play with Sutter, Gagner or Gaudette? Cause he's not playing RW with Bo. Having an offensive NHL centre for him to play with (as long as it's an okay contract) is a good thing.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
I’d rather not grab another 30 something middling player on a multi-year deal. I don’t believe Bozak is the type of player that helps a kid develop. He has always struck me as the type that needs superior line mates in order to put up offensive numbers. He’s a good player to spend money on and not actually gain anything. His play is more likely to drop off from this point on.

If you are going that route I’d personally look to Stastny and Riley Nash (not that I think Nash is better or anything but he’s younger and I think will come cheaper). Maybe roll the dice on Ryan as a stop gap at center.

Essentially this team isn’t going anywhere so it seems silly to spend cap just because and really that’s what I think they’ll be doing.

Last edited:

ATypicalCanadian

Apr 30, 2015
Canada
I'm sure this will cause some discussion.. During/after the draft we heard other teams liked Barrett Hayton in the top 10 of the draft. Botch is saying it was the Canucks and the only players we were considering taking at 7 over Hughes were Kotkaniemi and Hayton. Botchford also says Montreal considered him over Kotkaniemi ,and Arizona along with Chicago liked him. Now this is me spitballing, but that could explain why IMac tweeted out they weren't going to be moving down(possibly they got wind of Chicago liking Hayton ?).

There are two players the Canucks would have considered, and possibly drafted, ahead of Hughes who were picked from 3-to-6.
Benning did confirm one of the two was not Zadina.

That’s because the Canucks weren’t taking a winger at 7.
The Canucks were taking a centre, or a high-upside defenceman with that seventh overall pick.
Much has been made of Arizona throwing the top of the draft off kilter because the Coyotes reached on Barrett Hayton.
But word at the draft was Montreal seriously considered him at No. 3 over Kotkaniemi.
Chicago not only really liked Hayton, the Hawks looked to move up to get him.
The other team which was very high on Hayton in the top ten was …. Vancouver
The Canucks would have considered Hayton or Kotkaniemi at seven over Hughes if available, which provides for some delicious alternate universes.
Most in Vancouver loved the Hughes pick.
Can you picture the reaction today however if they passed on Hughes for Hayton?
How about this one.
Hayton is still on the board and Red Wings draft another defenceman, Dobson or Bouchard, instead of Hughes. This is entirely plausible, because many believe they weren’t targeting Hughes there.
It would have left the Canucks with Zadina and Hughes to pick from.
What if the Canucks took Hayton over both?
In Vancouver, it would have been Armageddon .
So this draft board fell perfectly for Benning, Linden and peace in the Lower Mainland.

Last edited:

Wo Yorfat

dumb person
Nov 7, 2016
Ohhhhhh myyyy the meltdown on this board if we passed on Zadina and hughes for hayton
Board riot woulda left the Mods all looking like
giphy.gif

ATypicalCanadian

Apr 30, 2015
Canada
Ohhhhhh myyyy the meltdown on this board if we passed on Zadina and hughes for hayton

What's interesting for me is Brackett says as a group they all agreed Hughes was the guy to take after Dahlin defensively vs last year where Linden is quoted as saying there was heated discussion over Pettersson vs Glass.

We'll probably never know to what level they held Kotkaniemi and Hayton to vs Hughes as their selection, but we know that Montreal supposedly considered Hayton over Kotkaniemi and after Arizona Chicago liked him enough to try and move up.

drax0s

Mar 18, 2014
Vancouver, BC.
The interest in picks would seemingly be an about face to their practice so far... unless he mistakenly included that and the prospects part of it means more "prospects" like Pouliot, Baertschi, etc type players.
Would not be surprised to hear the drive for picks coming from Aquilini to make a big splash in 2019.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
What's interesting for me is Brackett says as a group they all agreed Hughes was the guy to take after Dahlin defensively vs last year where Linden is quoted as saying there was heated discussion over Pettersson vs Glass.

I doubt it was 100% consensus (it rarely is), but the Canucks have seemingly been wanting to draft a Hughes' type of Dmen for at least a couple of years now. I can see Pettersson vs. Glass being a bigger debate because some North American scouts probably haven't really seen Pettersson play but have seen Glass play a fair bit. I can't see Delorme liking Petersson over Glass.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I'm sure this will cause some discussion.. During/after the draft we heard other teams liked Barrett Hayton in the top 10 of the draft. Botch is saying it was the Canucks and the only players we were considering taking at 7 over Hughes were Kotkaniemi and Hayton. Botchford also says Montreal considered him over Kotkaniemi ,and Arizona along with Chicago liked him. Now this is me spitballing, but that could explain why IMac tweeted out they weren't going to be moving down(possibly they got wind of Chicago liking Hayton ?).

What in the hell is this? Here I was praising this regime for picking Hughes and then we find out it was more a byproduct of how the draft fell in place rather than expert scouting? Rather than prioritizing BPA? When will this regime learn that you cannot draft by need?

More than ever, I’m convinced upper management needs to be cleansed of any and all Benning+Linden influence. A pragmatic thinker would not chase position. They need a change at the top. It’s imperative. Bring in someone that tells the scouts to draft the best player, and if that turns out to be a winger, so be it.

How badly did DET want an RHD? Their fanbase has been pining for one for years. Did Holland choose one? No. He took the BPA winger. That’s the difference between a progressive thinker and this mess we call management.

Hughes was such an astute pick. It saddens me to read how close it was to becoming 2016 all over again.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
What in the hell is this? Here I was praising this regime for picking Hughes and then we find out it was more a byproduct of how the draft fell in place rather than expert scouting? Rather than prioritizing BPA? When will this regime learn that you cannot draft by need?

Umm... duh. Unless you're drafting #1 overall, the pick is very much a byproduct of how the draft fell. Most of us here were expecting Hughes to be gone by #7.

The Canucks did talk about asset value. I'm sure they consider taking a C at that position if available. That doesn't mean they would have made that choice.

What happened to Benning telegraphing his picks? Pretty sure he talked about picking a Dman best case scenario.

Reactions: Pastor Of Muppetz

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Umm... duh. Unless you're drafting #1 overall, the pick is very much a byproduct of how the draft fell. Most of us here were expecting Hughes to be gone by #7.

The Canucks did talk about asset value. I'm sure they consider taking a C at that position if available. That doesn't mean they would have made that choice.

What happened to Benning telegraphing his picks? Pretty sure he talked about picking a Dman best case scenario.
Exactly this..from a Bob McKenzie Interview September ,2017.

"Towards the end of the interview, McKenzie asked, “In a vacuum, if you could address one specific area of the team – snap your fingers and it would get better – what would that specific area be?”
“Probably a right-shot, power-play defenseman,” Benning said without hesitation."

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006

You’re not following: They restricted themselves to a centre or dman. That’s what has been put forth. So it’s not wholly due to how the draft would have fallen, it has the caveat of them drafting by need on top of how it would have fallen. That’s nuts.

Botchford said they had Kotkaniemi and Hayton ahead of Hughes. No winger would have been taken. They would have passed on Zadina.

The best case scenario to them would have been a choice between Kotkaniemi, Hayton and Hughes. In that scenario, they would have picked one of the Cs per Botch. That would have been chaos. Read the Provies first and then respond.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
What a load of nauseating junk Botchford spews out...
-Who is is the source that Botchford says the Canucks were not taking a winger?
-Didnt Burke say on the broadcast that he spoke to Quinns father,and Benning said to his father that 'he would not go past Quinn in the draft'?
-I guess Bennings giddy reaction to drafting Hughes must've been one hell of an academy performance?.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad