• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver
so if the Canucks get Vezina worthy goaltending, coupled with Boeser turning into Bossy and Petterson turning into Gretzky, then the Canucks will surprise everyone this year and be better than the dumpster fire they currently are.

Seems plausible.

Be more positive guys. Geez

Feb 24, 2017
I wanna see this team win the cup one day. I’d quite frankly by this point be ok with an intentional tank the next two years to try for the next two top overall picks. When the league calls you on it you just text back “lol” and let aquilini pay a fine or something.

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver
I wanna see this team win the cup one day. I’d quite frankly by this point be ok with an intentional tank the next two years to try for the next two top overall picks. When the league calls you on it you just text back “lol” and let aquilini pay a fine or something.
I think you'll get your wish. It's not an intentional tank but we'll have a couple more high picks still.

Reactions: pomorick

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002
Every year around this time there are posts saying this team could surprise and be a playoff team... at least now it's this team could surprise and be out of bottom 10.

Worst regular season in franchise history... that's my prediction. Well, at least by points. There will undoubtedly be debates on if this was a successful season or not despite spectacular on-ice failure.

Reactions: pomorick

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Every year around this time there are posts saying this team could surprise and be a playoff team... at least now it's this team could surprise and be out of bottom 10.

Worst regular season in franchise history... that's my prediction. Well, at least by points. There will undoubtedly be debates on if this was a successful season or not despite spectacular on-ice failure.

I mean, eventually they will be right. And then they will act like master soothsayers after predicting it 9 years in a row.

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver
Do you think if they actually tried to tank it they would screw that up and get the last playoff spot?
I dont think Benning has the intelligence on how to properly build a team or how to properly tank and acquire assets. They stumbled into a playoff spot that one year tho and he's been chasing that ever since.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
The team will be worse then last year. I'm calling it now. Goaltending is the same. Defense is the same. Forward group we lost a ton of points in the Sedins (to a lesser extent contributions from Vanek.) now we're going to depend on the kids for offense while propping them up with an alleged strong bottom six?

So essentially we're going to be a one line team, Horvat and Boeser with whoever plays with them. Shut them down, or they have an off night, (Boeser's sophomore season prone to a slump?) and we're getting nothing.

Oh we're depending on an NHL rookie centered by either a player who is barely a center themselves or someone where the offense goes to die, and on the other flank a guy who hasn't given a shit the last few seasons just collects his bonus in the summer and coasts his way through the year?

Or it's any number of unknowns and rookies who because the stars align are going to break through and provide secondary offense? Too many maybes or what if's. The idea that we didn't sign any top six players because we want the kids to have the lions share of ice time is nice in theory but also could be very suffocating for some guys in newfound roles and responsibilities.

I don't know how anyone can look at this roster and think we're going to "surprise" or challenge anything. I hope this is the first year Jim actually is actively tanking or else you have to seriously question his ability to form a roster or scout players.

Reactions: JuniorNelson

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Are you ****ing kidding me...you're comparing our situation to the Jets? JETS?????

Better goalie will make a team better, sure. But when the forward group and defense are both horse manure, even if we had prime time Brodeur it wouldn't do a damn thing.

Hellybuck played well, yeah. Do you know what else Jets had? Ehlers, Wheeler, Laine, Scheifele, Connor, Trouba, Myers, Byfuglien.

And a GM who's not a brain dead gibbering lunatic.
How about the Oilers and Flames? Both get great goaltending and make the playoffs. Last year (with basically the same line-ups) goalies play crappy, and both team fall into the dumpster. Goaltending is HUGE in the NHL, and we currently have two crappy ones. If Demko plays, and plays well, our team will be a lot improved. It’s not arguable.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
And there is no doubt in my mind that you have drunk so deeply of the Kool-Aid you have hyponatremia and hyperglycaemia which may explain your thought processes
:laugh:
Now that’s entertainment! Why can’t more posters be funny, when being critical? Nicely done. :thumbu:

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
How about the Oilers and Flames? Both get great goaltending and make the playoffs. Last year (with basically the same line-ups) goalies play crappy, and both team fall into the dumpster. Goaltending is HUGE in the NHL, and we currently have two crappy ones. If Demko plays, and plays well, our team will be a lot improved. It’s not arguable.

Both have line ups that are vastly superior to ours and without top end goaltending they still missed playoffs. We’d need both much better goaltending AND rosters to have the same chance.

Reactions: geebaan

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
Heres something you dont seem to grasp on goaltending. Demko will not make our team in October. He could and likely will play well in camp but will still be sent down. He will be a call up if one of Markstrom/Nilsson get injured. Theres a very small chance that Benning trades Nilsson at the TDL and Demko gets brought up as a backup for the remainder of the year. Thats it. He will likely play the full year on a decent Comets team as a starter and final farm development. Next season we will see him on our roster as a backup/tandem and hopefully fighting for the starting job

Reactions: JuniorNelson

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby

wow...I mean just...WOW. Mind blown.

The Albertan teams failed purely because of goalies? Are you aware of what the hell you're saying?

Those teams failed because most their players under-performed or didn't deliver (ie. Lucic), plus some of the awful trades bit them in the asses.

I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but hockey is a f***ing team sport, you need every aspect of the team to put in their results in order to succeed. From forwards, to defense, to goalie, to GM, to coach, draft...etc. When a team fails in one aspect, the others have to work much harder to compensate.

Like I said, by your brilliant logic, a Pontiac Aztek should in theory have no trouble out-performing an Aston Martin as long as you give it a nice paint job.

Pure ignorance.

Reactions: geebaan

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
The team will be worse then last year. I'm calling it now. Goaltending is the same. Defense is the same. Forward group we lost a ton of points in the Sedins (to a lesser extent contributions from Vanek.) now we're going to depend on the kids for offense while propping them up with an alleged strong bottom six?

So essentially we're going to be a one line team, Horvat and Boeser with whoever plays with them. Shut them down, or they have an off night, (Boeser's sophomore season prone to a slump?) and we're getting nothing.

Oh we're depending on an NHL rookie centered by either a player who is barely a center themselves or someone where the offense goes to die, and on the other flank a guy who hasn't given a **** the last few seasons just collects his bonus in the summer and coasts his way through the year?

Or it's any number of unknowns and rookies who because the stars align are going to break through and provide secondary offense? Too many maybes or what if's. The idea that we didn't sign any top six players because we want the kids to have the lions share of ice time is nice in theory but also could be very suffocating for some guys in newfound roles and responsibilities.

I don't know how anyone can look at this roster and think we're going to "surprise" or challenge anything. I hope this is the first year Jim actually is actively tanking or else you have to seriously question his ability to form a roster or scout players.

I mean, we have so much evidence that at this point the question is already answered.

Reactions: rypper

hookshott

Dec 13, 2016
Heres something you dont seem to grasp on goaltending. Demko will not make our team in October. He could and likely will play well in camp but will still be sent down. He will be a call up if one of Markstrom/Nilsson get injured. Theres a very small chance that Benning trades Nilsson at the TDL and Demko gets brought up as a backup for the remainder of the year. Thats it. He will likely play the full year on a decent Comets team as a starter and final farm development. Next season we will see him on our roster as a backup/tandem and hopefully fighting for the starting job
This is far too logical but you seem to forget who our GM is!

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
With good goaltending and good injury luck there’s no doubt in my mind this is a playoff team

If you could, please define “good injury luck”. Is this to say that if they are in the average cohort for league injuries (11-20) they will make it?

Please also quantify, if you will, good goaltending? Same cohort?

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
wow...I mean just...WOW. Mind blown.

The Albertan teams failed purely because of goalies? Are you aware of what the hell you're saying?

Those teams failed because most their players under-performed or didn't deliver (ie. Lucic), plus some of the awful trades bit them in the asses.

I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but hockey is a ****ing team sport, you need every aspect of the team to put in their results in order to succeed. From forwards, to defense, to goalie, to GM, to coach, draft...etc. When a team fails in one aspect, the others have to work much harder to compensate.

Like I said, by your brilliant logic, a Pontiac Aztek should in theory have no trouble out-performing an Aston Martin as long as you give it a nice paint job.

Pure ignorance.

Every skater could play well but the team could still lose if the goalie lets in a few softies. By logical extension most most skaters could have a good season but still result in a losing season. The difference between having a good goalie and a bad goalie isn’t the same as a paint job on a car. It’s the most nonsensical comparison I’ve ever seen.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Every skater could play well but the team could still lose if the goalie lets in a few softies. By logical extension most most skaters could have a good season but still result in a losing season. The difference between having a good goalie and a bad goalie isn’t the same as a paint job on a car. It’s the most nonsensical comparison I’ve ever seen.

My point being this team is overall very much below average of NHL standards, to say the least. Saying how this team will be a lot better just because we MAY have a good goalie is nothing short of idiocy.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
If you could, please define “good injury luck”. Is this to say that if they are in the average cohort for league injuries (11-20) they will make it?

Please also quantify, if you will, good goaltending? Same cohort?

Good injury luck would mean being one the 5 teams least effected by injuries. Being in the average cohort should be the default even though that would be dramatically better luck than this team has had in the past few years.

Good goaltending would mean if our goalies do not let in too many soft goals, I think everyone understands what it means to have good goaltending when you see it. If you want to quantify it then being top 10 in save % is where I would draw the line tentatively

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC

But what makes you think every skater will play well enough for the goaltending to make a difference, assuming it even got better?

You’re talking about good teams being torpedoed by bad goaltending. That’s not us. We’re a bad team being further made worse by bad goaltending. It’s a double disaster.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
My point being this team is overall very much below average of NHL standards, to say the least. Saying how this team will be a lot better just because we MAY have a good goalie is nothing short of idiocy.

I think you May have a point if you anticipate Demco will not be very good but in general a good goalie is huge I mean think about it they are on the ice for 60 minutes per game that’s three times more than the best forward on the team so it’s fair to say they have thrice the impact so wouldn’t you say that your team would get better if you had added three all star level forwards? The idea that we are getting from the scouting projection community is that Demko will be an all star goaltender.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
But what makes you think every skater will play well enough for the goaltending to make a difference, assuming it even got better?

You’re talking about good teams being torpedoed by bad goaltending. That’s not us. We’re a bad team being further made worse by bad goaltending. It’s a double disaster.

Think back to Louie’s first year I shouldn’t have to remind you guys how a goalie can will a team into the playoffs that has no business being there

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
However I have already made the argument that with the improvements made and the drafted players that we have drafted making the team the forward and defensive group will be absolutely playoff calibre

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad