Sell the Team Chant

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
That power play defenseman quote is an all-timer. It will go down in Canucks lore. Incredible.

I have a hard time believing Benning betrayed Linden like this, but I could see a situation where he sat there and dumbly twiddled his thumbs in a situation where Linden felt he needed backup (after sticking up for him during the contract extension), and Linden being angry about that.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
To @FAN, your last post is now locked in the last thread so could you post it here so I can reply and everyone can have a chuckle at your ridiculous question?

Thanks

Reactions: y2kcanucks

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Hate to agree with Smithers but he makes the same point I made the other day. People are acting like this is some sort of promotion for Benning but it isn't. He wasn't named president, he's just on a tighter leash now. He doesn't have linden as a buffer anymore.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Hate to agree with Smithers but he makes the same point I made the other day. People are acting like this is some sort of promotion for Benning but it isn't. He wasn't named president, he's just on a tighter leash now. He doesn't have linden as a buffer anymore.

I don't believe this. They probably feel they need to give Benning more time to operate now to show what he can do without Linden. :help:

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
The entire organization is a tire fire and it's not going to be fixed anytime soon. We probably need a new owner and should let go of most of the people working on the hockey side of things.

Reactions: Hemty

hookshott

Dec 13, 2016
"Benning said the players were signed to help build a culture that supports incoming prospects, not to try pushing the Canucks towards the playoffs next season."

I actually believe Benning believes this, and it may have some validity to sign one of these type of players (NOT Brandon Prust!), BUT, he is so simplistic and does not see the bigger picture that the long term signings he made, are actually going to be a negative for the team.

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
The entire organization is a tire fire and it's not going to be fixed anytime soon. We probably need a new owner and should let go of most of the people working on the hockey side of things.

We need an owner with a ton of money can hire a wide array of smart people from different backgrounds to make the hockey decisions. That's the ideal setup.

Nick1219

Mar 15, 2012
So let me see if I can get this straight... I've been a little out of the loop as I've chosen to ignore the drama.

• Linden is hired as President - We're thinking this is just a pure PR move? Surely Aqua and Linden must have shared some sort of shared vision at the time of that hire? No? I'm assuming both Linden and Aqua wanted to reshape the team while still trying to win by acquiring 22-24 year olds with draft picks while also still signing vets.
  • Linden Hires Jim - Again... surely at that time Jim shared everyone's vision as well.
  • The Canucks have a massive bounce back season in 2014/2015 with 101 points the season after the hirings and management change and everything is looking good in Canucks land in the sense the team was back to its winning ways. Obviously you could easily say that season was the worst thing that could have happened because it gave false hope.
  • Next season the tires fall off.
  • Next season the wheels fall off. Willie is fired April '17.
  • Next season we're a stand still resting on the frame.
Some time in between the losing seasons Linden decided that it was now best to completely rebuild the team and just go with all young kids in the lineup this year? We're thinking Aqua disagreed with that opinion? Aqua hen asked Benning what he thought about the future plans and Benning wouldn't have backed up Linden and sided with Aqua? This then led to the signing of the three veterans this offseason where I'm assuming Linden felt like he was on an island, there was probably some heated argument where he wound up getting fired, but then Aqua and Linden both decided that it would be best for the organization and reputation of Linden in the community to say that they amicably parted ways?

Just re-read all this and it's like a 100 questions, but I'm just trying to connect the dots here.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Linden feels betrayed by Benning. Could have seen that from a mile away.

Something tells me that when all is said and done, that will be the default interpretation for most fans regarding this incident. The media is definitely pushing this angle.

Reactions: timw33

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Can Jim Benning do anything other than come across as the ultimate sad-sack GM in any media appearance?

"I'm having a hard enough time finding a PP D-man" line is just....what are you doing man? Admitting that you are incompetent and don't know how to assess pro talent and haven't been able to do your job for 4 straight years?

Not to mention using that line to deflect away from the original question.

He never comes across as someone who has the situation well under control, or someone with a shred of confidence—he's constantly lowering the bar and building in excuses for future failures.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad