2018 Management Discussion, Pt. II

Status
Not open for further replies.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
So pray tell CanaFan,

How would you have done things differently?

Gaunce wasn’t quite NHL ready, and the Canucks needed some toughness in their line-up (as their loss against Calgary proved). With some kids being slated to break into the line-up (and keep in mind that Horvat was only going to be a 2nd year pro at the time), there was the Zack Kassian situation.......and how he was living outside of the hockey rink. What kind of impression would he have left on 18-21 impressionable kids?

What would you have done? How would YOU have handled this? (Anyone is more than welcome to answer this).

What the hell does Prust have to do with Gaunce?? They don’t play the same role and they sure as hell weren’t “replacing” 21 year old Gaunce with 31 year old Brandon Prust. One has nothing to do with the other.

As for what I’d do about “toughness”, I dunno man. I don’t see it as this vital, essential thing you clearly do. You need team toughness in the NHL today, not handing it off to a 31 year old who clearly was past his best days. Whatever you think the problem was in the fall of 2015, it’s a joke that you think Brandon f***ing Prust was the solution.

As for Kassian, I’d have worked with him through rehab, moving him on to stage two if he required it. I’d certaibly have shown some of the bloody character and mentorship you prattle on about endlessly with a 24 year old who was struggling with alcohol addiction. But clearly you were fine with just paying Montreal to take him away and make him someone else’s “problem”. Certainly couldn’t be bothered to show any “leadership” in helping this kid out with his struggles. No, that’s not the kind of leadership and character you’re talking about. You’re talking about the kind that whines to the coach about playing in NY and uses social media to call out his own teammates. Laughable.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
What the hell does Prust have to do with Gaunce?? They don’t play the same role and they sure as hell weren’t “replacing” 21 year old Gaunce with 31 year old Brandon Prust. One has nothing to do with the other.

Uhhhhh you’re wrong?

Gaunce was vying for the 4th line LW position and management felt that he wasn’t good enough at the time. Hence - Prust was brought in for the 4th line LW role.

One most certainly has to do with the other.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
These posters now saying that the Canucks should have shown more patience with Kassian..as in the Canucks staff didn't even try to help him.They just dumped him on the Habs...total BS is what it is....The Canucks had to cut the cord with this player,and he was essentially kicked off the team (the 5th was for Prust).

The Habs knew they were getting damaged goods with Kassian and he was told by GM Bergevin that 'one strike and you're out'..Then Kassian has a rendezvous with a tree at 6am in the morning,and the rest is history (which he has stated himself is what it took for him to change his life).

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
These posters now saying that the Canucks should have shown more patience with Kassian..as in the Canucks staff didn't even try to help him.They just dumped him on the Habs...total BS is what it is....The Canucks had to cut the cord with this player,and he was essentially kicked off the team (the 5th was for Prust).

The Habs knew they were getting damaged goods with Kassian and he was told by GM Bergevin that 'one strike and you're out'..Then Kassian has a rendezvous with a tree at 6am in the morning,and the rest is history (which he has stated himself is what it took for him to change his life).
Kassian had a drinking problem and was not a model professional during his time here. I don't think any of us minded when we shipped him out.

Reactions: Hindustan Smyl

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Kassian had a drinking problem and was not a model professional during his time here. I don't think any of us minded when we shipped him out.
Tbh..I thought it was a terrible trade when I first heard of it,and was shocked at the shitty value coming back...In retrospect,and now knowing,and realizing the history of ZK's abuse problems (0f which the severity the general fanbase was not really aware of) ,.. he had to go....

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
Tbh..I thought it was a terrible trade when I first heard of it,and was shocked at the ****ty value coming back...In retrospect,and now knowing,and realizing the history of ZK's abuse problems (0f which the severity the general fanbase was not really aware of) ,.. he had to go....

- they could have waived him
- they could have put him in stage 2 of the substance abuse program (-> suspension without pay)
- they did not have to trade him AND a pick for a useless way overpaid plug in Prust who brought the opposite of leadership and character to the team

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Where did the twins, Kesler, Luongo, etc, etc, come from?

Most of those core players came from Burke/Nonis.
Why aren't you clamoring to get those guys back, then? Why wasn't it a travesty when they were let go?

I don't remember anyone giving so much credit to those dudes while Gillis was still around. It seems to be inextricably linked to excusing Benning's terrible record at everything.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
I don't remember anyone giving so much credit to those dudes while Gillis was still around. It seems to be inextricably linked to excusing Benning's terrible record at everything.

Gillis did *some* good things while he was here (Sundin signing, Erhoff trade, Lapierre trade, Torres signing, having a capologist consultant and managing the player’s sleep cycles), but let’s not mistake that with Gillis “building a back to back Presidents trophy winning team from scratch.”

In the end, Gillis handicapped this team in major ways. His complete and utter failure at the draft table, combined with handing out NTC’s and NMC’s like they were candy, are the biggest reasons why Gillis hasn’t been contacted by an NHL team since he was fired, and is why he now works as a professor at UVIC.

When Benning took over this team, Gillis left Benning with nothing.

When Gillis took over from Nonis in 2008, he was being gifted young horses that were about to turn into well Stallions.

pgj98m3

Jan 8, 2012
Gillis did *some* good things while he was here (Sundin signing, Erhoff trade, Lapierre trade, Torres signing, having a capologist consultant and managing the player’s sleep cycles), but let’s not mistake that with Gillis “building a back to back Presidents trophy winning team from scratch.”

In the end, Gillis handicapped this team in major ways. His complete and utter failure at the draft table, combined with handing out NTC’s and NMC’s like they were candy, are the biggest reasons why Gillis hasn’t been contacted by an NHL team since he was fired, and is why he now works as a professor at UVIC.

When Gillis took over from Nonis in 2008, he was being gifted young horses that were about to turn into well Stallions.
Ultimately winning is what matters. Gillis got us to within one win of the Cup. Benning has taken his team to............

Reactions: The Drop

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011

Gillis has been contacted by NHL teams

Benning just gave roussel and Beagle ntcs, at least Higgins and Hansen had good cap hits

Poor Benning only had 2 first round picks, kesler demanding a trade, Horvat, 11 million in space and 5 top 4 d man, what a surprise the only year they make the playoffs is off the back of gillis roster before Bennings stamp was put on the team

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
Gillis has been contacted by NHL teams

Benning just gave roussel and Beagle ntcs, at least Higgins and Hansen had good cap hits

Poor Benning only had 2 first round picks, kesler demanding a trade, Horvat, 11 million in space and 5 top 4 d man, what a surprise the only year they make the playoffs is off the back of gillis roster before Bennings stamp was put on the team
And they were top 9 forwards. There is literally no excuse for giving 4th liners any form of NTC.

Reactions: racerjoe

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
LMAO anyone who watched that Calgary series and concluded “oh yes, we must pursue Brandon Prust” rather than “holy **** this coach is trash” probably needs to have a chaperone.

The coach was trash, but our lack of toughness and physicality were also issues.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Eh I'd say Benning has good intentions. He clearly wants to build a winning team and is thoroughly enjoying the process, while also wanting to give Vancouver a good team to cheer for...

It ends there though. He's clearly not good at his job, but he's the best of the three stooges. All three need to go.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor

That’s not what I asked.

pgj98m3

Jan 8, 2012
Benning saw the shot, took the shot, and missed.

If the same situation occurs again in the future, Benning should take the shot again because it was the correct play to make.
Wow...that is brilliant.....if Benning has a shot he should take it.......
First he has to develop a team that isn’t competing for the 1st overall pick.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Uhhhhh you’re wrong?

Gaunce was vying for the 4th line LW position and management felt that he wasn’t good enough at the time. Hence - Prust was brought in for the 4th line LW role.

One most certainly has to do with the other.

But why do you need to replace a 21 year old defensive centre/winger with a 31 year old mentor/fighter? Your defense of this stupid acquisition is "But, but what were they SUPPOSED TO DO???". I dunno man, look to Utica - Archibald or Kenins come to mind - and let them compete with a 21 year old rookie who is going to play limited minutes on the 4th line. I mean, christ, how important a role do you think the 4LW position was to team success? Critical??

It's puzzling that you think they *had* to replace Gaunce with someone like Prust when they play nothing alike. Especially when Prust himself went on to be such a spectacular bust.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad