2018 Hart Trophy Winner - Taylor Hall

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Hats off to Taylor Hall. Kind of on the weaker side of Hart trophy wins but seeing him reinvent his game was pretty special.

I'm not sure he reinvented his game so much as he got all the bounces this year. He's always been a great scorer, and this year he scored the best in his career.

If I had to bet the over/under on him scoring 80 points next season I would bet the under.

He's a great player though, and things really lined up perfectly for him this season.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Why didn't Claude Giroux get any serious consideration?

Finished second in scoring and his team only finished a point ahead of the Devils.

Odd.

I guess his narrative wasn't compelling enough.

Reactions: Gains and Devonator

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
As hilarious as this is, Kopitar, MacKi nnon, and Kucherov all deserved this award more. This reminds me of that time Jose Theodore won the award over Iginla... just baffling.

At least Connor "Late Season Statpadder" McDavid didn't win though.

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland
I'm not sure he reinvented his game so much as he got all the bounces this year. He's always been a great scorer, and this year he scored the best in his career.
Hall has made a lot of points before, but now he is a much more complete player. This season his 200-foot game took a really big step forward.

Reactions: glenwo2

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
it never ceases to amaze me just how much of a joke Hart trophy voting is

the best player in the league being 5th aside,no non forwards above 12th(which is only 9 points)? really?

Devils090

Feb 16, 2014
it never ceases to amaze me just how much of a joke Hart trophy voting is

the best player in the league being 5th aside,no non forwards above 12th(which is only 9 points)? really?

Well the award has nothing to do with being the best player so clearly you don’t understand how this works

Reactions: glenwo2

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Well the award has nothing to do with being the best player so clearly you don’t understand how this works

the best player has the most value

that's just a mathematical fact

anyways the McDavid thing wasn't really what my post was about,does anyone really think that the 11 most valuable players in the league are ALL forwards? it's just a joke

Reactions: aufheben and Gains

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
The reason it's a weaker Hart year is how often this trophy needs to be redefined and re-described.

It is now the 'MVP' on a 'lower seeded playoff team with no other stars' Award.

Reactions: philip

stampedingviking

Jul 2, 2013
Basingstoke, England
I mean good for Hall it was a great year but this shows how silly the Hart really is. Connor McDavid is by far and away the MVP of the league. Why do we care what a bunch of writers have to say on the matter anyways? It's not Connor McDavid's fault the Oilers suck and missed the playoffs. - A salty Oilers fan.
I'd say Kopitar should be far and away the MVP.

Reactions: King Trouty

thelos

Bunk
Jul 19, 2011

Finished second in scoring and his team only finished a point ahead of the Devils.

Odd.

He did finish 4th in Hart voting, but I guess people thought he had better teammates around him than Hall/MacK.

Bustedprospect

Mar 10, 2006
I think this was a good choice. Would have gone with MacK but all in all a tight race. Realy this year had four legit guys for the Hart.

pucky

Jan 11, 2011
The Oilers are the biggest joke in the League...owner makes the fans pay for their arena, trades Hall, signs Lucic and Chia as GM..... enough said.

Almost forgot, they now use orange sweaters.

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
Because he’s a great individual player but an atrocious team player.

He’s in the running with Corey Perry for the weakest hart winner of all time IMO.

What defines a good Hart Trophy candidate? Major team success like division win at least while being the main contributor or just pure performance with no attention to the outside stuff? Or are you one of those vague people who change their opinion every year to fit the narrative to boost one player? Just curious :)

Last edited:

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017

Odd.

Haha narrative? Hall outscored the next closest Devil by 41 points.

Giroux played with a healthy combination of Couturier, Voracek, Konecny, Ghost, and Provorov .

Hall played with Hischier, Palmieri, Bratt, Vatanen, and in, Andy Greene. Yet, they still had similar ppg. Give me a break

Crease Master

Dec 17, 2016
Most Oilers fans aren't defending it. Most Oilers fans accepted that a culture change was needed and it was reasonable for Hall to go, but also understand that Chia didn't get the value he should have for Hall.
Good thing that "culture change" worked out for Edmonton. It was clearly needed and it was such a reasonable idea that Edmonton is much better off now, right? Quit drinking the Edmonton Kool Aid, Hall was always an amazing player and great teammate. Edmonton is a joke of an organization for trading him and even more of a joke for trying to pretend he had anything to do with their decades of failure. Hall deserves this award and the redemption it brings his character.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
Since McDavid didn’t even get nominated, it is hard to feel like MacKinnon got robbed because he had more points. Hall and MacKinnon both had unreal seasons, but I do think if you removed both from their teams, the Devils would have struggled more. In that sense, Hall is definitely deserving.

Amazing how close it was. Looking forward to seeing if both players can replicate similar years going forward.

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
Kinda think the newsworthiness of an mvp being traded for next to nothing by an inept gm played a big role in the win. The troll vote clinched it. I’m salty, don’t care ‍♀️

Nov 24, 2006
I’m dumbfounded that Chiarelli managed to trade Tyler Seguin, Blake Wheeler, and Taylor Hall. Does he have any ability to spot where young talent can get to if he just waited 10 minutes?

Surely he must be the worst GM in history. Was Mike Milbury worse than this!?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad