2018 Hart Trophy Winner - Taylor Hall

cpsman

Aug 18, 2010
I what the EDM fans said about him at the time of the trade was true then he’s not the same player anymore. He may never have become this kind of player staying in EDM. EDM fans bashing him based on their version of Hall are misguided. Give him credit for turning his attitude and game around. EDM needed a culture change and Hall at that time was not the guy to mentor young impressionable players. Probably not during his first year in NJ which was a train wreck. A lot of credit has to go to Shero and his sit down with Hall last summer. Their discussion prompted Hall to reinvent himself for the better. EDM has a bright future and a lot to be excited about.

I really like this post, but it still stings as an Oilers fan. I agree that Hall would never become this player in Edmonton. He was more of a selfish player and not a team player in Edmonton, and I don't think being in the same situation dealing with the same people would force him to realize he needed to mature. A scenery change was necessary.

That being said, Chiarelli absolutely got DESTROYED on that trade. It looks way worse now, but even back then it looked lopsided. His value was way higher than Larsson even as an immature young LW. He was still a star at that level with huge upside. Chiarelli did not have to make that move right then and there. He could have waited it out a little longer before agreeing to a trade.

Reactions: My3Sons

cpsman

Aug 18, 2010
I'd have gone with MacK, but congrats to Hall and the Devils.

And really Oilers fans, just accept that it was a **** trade. There's no need to defend it.
Most Oilers fans aren't defending it. Most Oilers fans accepted that a culture change was needed and it was reasonable for Hall to go, but also understand that Chia didn't get the value he should have for Hall.

AvsWraith

Jan 21, 2010
Colorado
MacK was robbed. Way more valuable to the Avs than Hall is to NJ. Carried a team that had 48 points the previous year to a playoff birth this season.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
MacK was robbed. Way more valuable to the Avs than Hall is to NJ. Carried a team that had 48 points the previous year to a playoff birth this season.

Hall had one of the biggest gaps between leading and second leading scorers on a team this year.

Mack lost by a slim margin.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Wonder how Ovi feels about holding his 4th Hart Trophy onstage at the NHL awards but not winning it

Ovi doesn't even know where he is right now. In his mind he just won the Hart, Lady Byng, and Veizina, and he's raising them all in the air right now at the Nationals game.

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
Yeah. He was the one I was hoping would win. I'm sure he's not necessarily the most deserving this year but the amount of offense he drove in New Jersey was pretty awesome.

Alexei Yashvalev

Nov 15, 2006
Victoria B.C.
Not sure what value the Oilers got out of McDavid this year, their season was a disaster.

Why was McDavid seemingly upset Hall won anyway?

hekuogY.gif

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
Arbitrary joke trophies do not make Hall any better. But either way, hart or no hart, he had a great season, and was one of the best in the league this season. That trade was horrible when it was made and is even more horrible today. Larsson is a solid d-men, but often you wonder did the GM really call all teams?

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
He has some of the worst hockey sense of top six forwards in the league, but an extremely high level of athleticism.

He’s been doing the same stuff for nearly ten years now. Screaming down the wing and looking for a cut post blue line to the net. If he doesn’t have that he either makes a terrible drop/float pass or throws it on net.

I won’t deny his natural athleticism or ability to post points, but Taylor hall does not elevate the players around him.

Didn't see him play a game this year, eh?

You're describing everything he did last year to a T.

This year, he got a centerman, his game slowed down, and all of the hockey sense came around. Night and day

During the offseason, Shero asked Hall where he thought his game was at - Hall said '70%' and Shero explained why he thought the number was 40%.

Hall came in on a mission from Day1 this year and was a completely different guy from what we saw last year.

Last edited:

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Hats off to Taylor Hall. Kind of on the weaker side of Hart trophy wins but seeing him reinvent his game was pretty special. This kid was always an incredible athlete, but watching him raise his game to being the kind of leader he was this season was a certain kind of special. Easy guy to cheer for once he removed that Oilstain jersey. MacK and Kopitar were pretty damn good too, but I think Taylor did more with less. Something to be said about watching a player mature and grow into a role that was always there for him with the amount of pure talent he had.

Also: Calgary kid :D

Nico the Draft Riser

Devils, Rams, Hawks, Twins fan
Nov 18, 2017
No knock on Hall, but really? The MVP? I don't think he was the best player this year. Or is it most valuable to your team?
This is how I think it should be because the Lindsay is the MVP of the league in general, essentially. The Hart should be who had the most value to their team - if Edmonton made the playoffs McDavid would have won both but a lot of folks count making it as value.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->