2018 Hart Trophy Winner - Taylor Hall

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Why didn't Claude Giroux get any serious consideration?

Finished second in scoring and his team only finished a point ahead of the Devils.

Odd.

I guess his narrative wasn't compelling enough.

I mean, he finished 4th lol

Always a good look when the 40th best player in the league gets MVP.

please name the 39 players in the league better than Taylor Hall this past year.

taylor hall won this trophy on bad math. Im happy some new blood won , and he deserved it over Mackinnon but Ask any hockey writer and they voted for him because the discrepancy between him and the 2nd highest scorer on the devils. That is just lazy analyis.

how is it lazy? It literally shows that he is essentially carrying the team...

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Also, the reactions from (some) Oilers fans in here is hilarious

Just post "I am an Oilers homer" and take your L and move on

6 Karlsson 5

Aug 9, 2012
The problem with this is that hall is extremely effective with underlying stats, due to his pucks on net, shot attempts, and offensive zone finishes. At the eye test one can see that his shot attempts are as a proportion, weak and often of low probability, regardless this helps his corsi. Likewise, a goalie will often cover his weak shot attempt and allow for a offensive zone face off for all, again attributing to his advanced stats.

Again, I believe hall is a tremendous individual player, and most teams would love the chance to have him on their team, but MVP? I’m not even sure if he’s top 20 in the league.

" Hall does alot of things that correlate to wins, but I don't like him, and I will provide my subjective opinion without providing any data" - Southwest

Hall was 4th on my ballot, but your arguments against him are about at a third grade level

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
Also, the reactions from (some) Oilers fans in here is hilarious

Just post "I am an Oilers homer" and take your L and move on
Basically the entire collective of Oilers fans hated the deal immediately. It's just that lots of them have had to create rationalizations to make themselves feel better. I hated the deal at the time, still hate the deal now. We're now paying Lucic the money meant for Hall and are looking for scoring on the wings after trading Hall & Eberle. Funny how that works...

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
Voting criteria for the Hart is stupid. McDavid was by far and away the most valuable, and best player in the league.

You can't blame him for his teams struggles, Cam Talbot had a .908 save percentage and the rest of his team was dog shit. I know this argument has been made ad nauseam but it's still so stupid.

Anyway, congrats to Hall.

Reactions: TheTotalPackage

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Hall deserved it as much as anyone. Didnt have the support that MacKinnon had up front.

Also, this is the 3rd time Giroux has finished Top 4 in Hart Trophy voting in the past 7 seasons (2012, 2014, 2018).

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
I mean, he finished 4th lol

please name the 39 players in the league better than Taylor Hall this past year.

how is it lazy? It literally shows that he is essentially carrying the team...

If you told me hall had 93 points on a team that had 186 goals that would be a slam dunk for MVP. But thaat was not the case, He had 93 points for a team that scored 248 goals. The reason why his next closest teammate had so few points is because of PP time and line changes. Had nico centered him and played first pp , Nico would have easily had over 70 points.

tictactoe

Jan 15, 2017
Devils were the most one man offense team in the league so I get it, well deserved award for Hall.
Was Edmonton one man offense team when Gretzky was there? Nope, he was not but he won it 8-9 times..

Not saying Hall did not deserve it..

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
If you told me hall had 93 points on a team that had 186 goals that would be a slam dunk for MVP. But thaat was not the case, He had 93 points for a team that scored 248 goals. The reason why his next closest teammate had so few points is because of PP time and line changes. Had nico centered him and played first pp , Nico would have easily had over 70 points.

Nico did center him....

Reactions: glenwo2

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
MacK was robbed. Way more valuable to the Avs than Hall is to NJ. Carried a team that had 48 points the previous year to a playoff birth this season.
And how many points did that 48 point team have the previous season?

Your logic is trash.

Any reasonable person would be fine with either MacK or Hall winning it since they both deserved it.

Sdevils42

Nov 30, 2016
Pretty sure this came down to the point gap between Hall and the 2nd highest scorer on NJD + the point streak. Anyone who says he isn't deserving or the "weakest" winner just simply didn't watch the games and that's fine, I don't expect anyone to watch that much hockey outside of their own team but it's an ignorant hot take.

That being said.. Chiarelli is a SAINT. All kidding aside there was definitely more that was involved w/ the trade. I've heard the rumors about substance abuse which I suppose you have to put some merit too but I believe the real reason was clearing the way to make this McDavid's team. Hall unquestionably has leadership qualities and was the top dog before McDavid was drafted, I think they just had to clear the leadership of the team. In hindsight it was a gift of a trade, can't believe they couldn't find a better RHD package.

BeastoftheEast85

Dec 31, 2010
New Jersey
Voting criteria for the Hart is stupid. McDavid was by far and away the most valuable, and best player in the league.

You can't blame him for his teams struggles, Cam Talbot had a .908 save percentage and the rest of his team was dog ****. I know this argument has been made ad nauseam but it's still so stupid.

Anyway, congrats to Hall.

I get McDavid was a beast this season but if he really deserved it, wouldn’t he at least be top 3 in voting? Remember the Hart goes to the "player judged most valuable to his team”, not necessarily the best player in the league. That is more the Lindsay which McDavid rightfully won. As bad as the oilers were McDavid at least had Drai on his team. Hall has no one on his support near Drai level, though the Devils do have better depth than the Oilers.

Reactions: Devilsfan118

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Because he’s a great individual player but an atrocious team player.

He’s in the running with Corey Perry for the weakest hart winner of all time IMO.
Nah, nothing beats Ovechkin's 2013 Hart. Hall did not win this Hart due to an injury to a top contender.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Anyone saying Hall is not deserving didn't watch him play much, and if you did watch him you didn't know what you were watching. It is amazing how much he has improved his all-around game. There are always several deserving players of the award every year. Hall was the most deserving this season. The voters got it right.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
I get McDavid was a beast this season but if he really deserved it, wouldn’t he at least be top 3 in voting? Remember the Hart goes to the "player judged most valuable to his team”, not necessarily the best player in the league. That is more the Lindsay which McDavid rightfully won. As bad as the oilers were McDavid at least had Drai on his team. Hall has no one on his support near Drai level, though the Devils do have better depth than the Oilers.
well that's the key...plus better puck-moving defensemen

bringing in Butcher, the #1 overall Hischier, Bratt and Vatanen made Hall go from a 53 point player to a 93 point player

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad