2018 Hart Trophy Winner - Taylor Hall

SouthWest

Apr 16, 2013
Canada
He might not be the most conventional player offensively but it is effective. It doesn't really matter at the end of the day how the puck went in. My biggest issue with your statement is you said Hall doesn't elevate the players around him and that is patently false. Look at the underlying numbers, you will be surprised.

The problem with this is that hall is extremely effective with underlying stats, due to his pucks on net, shot attempts, and offensive zone finishes. At the eye test one can see that his shot attempts are as a proportion, weak and often of low probability, regardless this helps his corsi. Likewise, a goalie will often cover his weak shot attempt and allow for a offensive zone face off for all, again attributing to his advanced stats.

Again, I believe hall is a tremendous individual player, and most teams would love the chance to have him on their team, but MVP? I’m not even sure if he’s top 20 in the league.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
taylor hall won this trophy on bad math. Im happy some new blood won , and he deserved it over Mackinnon but Ask any hockey writer and they voted for him because the discrepancy between him and the 2nd highest scorer on the devils. That is just lazy analyis.

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
That's not Mcdavid's fault though. Do you not expect the Devils or Avs to be Exponentially better than they were if they swap those players for McDavid? Oilers are drafting Dahlin this year if they have either Mack or Hall instead of McD.

Lol the Oilers were a lottery team this year still even with McDavid.

Csonked Out

Mar 20, 2007
Bismarck, ND
The problem with this is that hall is extremely effective with underlying stats, due to his pucks on net, shot attempts, and offensive zone finishes. At the eye test one can see that his shot attempts are as a proportion, weak and often of low probability, regardless this helps his corsi. Likewise, a goalie will often cover his weak shot attempt and allow for a offensive zone face off for all, again attributing to his advanced stats.

Again, I believe hall is a tremendous individual player, and most teams would love the chance to have him on their team, but MVP? I’m not even sure if he’s top 20 in the league.
MVP is not an award for the best player, it is an award for the most valuable player, there is a difference. If Taylor Hall is removed from the Devils, we would be in conversation for #1 overall pick again as he was that important.

It depends upon your interpretation of it, but I interpret it in that way.

McBaevid

Lottery Dynasty
Oct 3, 2010
Edmonton, AB
Keep telling yourself that so you can sleep at night champ.

I'm not trashing Hall, "champ"

Taylor Hall is the same player he was in Edmonton, elite offensive winger that creates chances out of nothing. He has always been elite. When he was in Edmonton he was 3rd in total percentage of points scored for the team in his 2013 season, and he did it mostly by himself just like he did in Jersey. He might be more mature now off the ice but Taylor Hall the hockey player didnt change much.

Reactions: HailMcJesus

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Honestly, having been set free from the awful Garth Snow plague cast upon my team, I really do hope Oiler fans get to experience the joy of a fired Chiarelli in the near future. There's obviously a core there to build around McDavid, it's time for some accountability in the GM department and to see a new regime try to build that team into a contender.

Reactions: HailMcJesus

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010

and that play style has netted him 80, and now 90+ point seasons. And even taking away his corsi(which is pretty damn impressive, even as an Oiler on a bad team) just look at his line mates offensive production with him vs without. He makes a big difference in his line mates production, and is an underrated passer. I have seen him make so many dirty passes in his career yet people don't really look at Hall as a play maker due to his unconventional style but the numbers dont lie.

Well this year he sure was, and that's what matters when it comes to this Hart trophy

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
Congrats to Taylor Hall. A deserved winner.

Anyone got a good picture from tonight of Hall holding the Hart trophy?

I would like to update my avatar ;)

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017

Stop with the bull ×××× , your making yourself look bad. Wipe your tears. Hall is the league MVP.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
imagine a Hall - McDavid duo.
The hart winner this year and the hart winner last year on the same line...

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
hekuogY.gif

He looks so happy for Hall.

SouthWest

Apr 16, 2013
Canada
Stop with the bull ×××× , your making yourself look bad. Wipe your tears. Hall is the league MVP.

I’m a sharks fan saying I preferred either Kopitar or Mack for the hart, that’s pretty well as far as one can get from the opposite of tears.

Highmarker

Oct 31, 2011
imagine a Hall - McDavid duo.
The hart winner this year and the hart winner last year on the same line...

Hall and McD never clicked, but that first year Hall and Draisiatl were unreal. Having those two on the 2nd line and Nuge and McD on the 1st line would be scary.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
Because he’s a great individual player but an atrocious team player.

He’s in the running with Corey Perry for the weakest hart winner of all time IMO.

The weakest Hart trophy winner of all time is still a Hart trophy winner :laugh:. Something Adam Larsson will likely never be. Hell Larsson's probably never even going to be nominated for the Norris.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
The weakest Hart trophy winner of all time is still a Hart trophy winner :laugh:. Something Adam Larsson will likely never be. Hell Larsson's probably never even going to be nominated for the Norris.
He wasn't brought to Edmonton to be a Hart trophy winner, or a Norris contender.

SouthWest

Apr 16, 2013
Canada

Why do people keep being up larsson? The trade is irrelevant to hall being one of if not the weakest hart trophy winner of all time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad