2018 Free Agent and Trade Thread - News? Hello? Please give us news

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I could live with that.

That's pretty much the most we should pay. The Leafs definitely would not get a "steal" on that trade, but it would not be considered a bad trade either. The only thing I would definitely change would be making that 2nd conditional on how many games he plays. It gets downgraded if he does not play a certain number of games. No way Tanev should get a straight pick unless it's a low one. Either that or replacing the 2nd with Carrick.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Can we please just trade for Tanev and go all in this year? We are one top 4 RHD away from being serious contenders.

Connor Brown, Calle Rosen, 1st, Cond 2nd 2021

For

Chris Tanev

Marleau - Matthews - Nylander
Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Johnsson - Kadri - Kapanen
Ennis - Lindholm - Leivo

Rielly - Tanev
Gardener - Zaitsev
Dermott - Hainsey

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
For 56 games

Rielly-Tanev
Gardiner-Zaitsev
Dermott-Hainsey

For the other 26 games (on average the last three seasons) where Tanev is injured

Rielly-Hainsey
Gardiner-Zaitsev
Dermott-Carrick

For the playoffs? Who knows if he'll be healthy.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Well, Trouba is likely on his way out of Winnipeg by next offseason at the latest.

Though, curious as to what they want. Jets don’t need any more high impact forwards.
Maybe a Leafs package around: Dermott/Liljegren + Kapanen + 1st? High price to pay.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Well, Trouba is likely on his way out of Winnipeg by next offseason at the latest.

Though, curious as to what they want. Jets don’t need any more high impact forwards.
Maybe a Leafs package around: Dermott/Liljegren + Kapanen + 1st? High price to pay.

Is Trouba even that good or is his being overrated due to him being a high draft pick, big physical RHD?

I've seen some people treat him like he's some elite stud but also others who dont think he's really that great.

What do the analytics say about him?

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Is Trouba even that good or is his being overrated due to him being a high draft pick, big physical RHD?

I've seen some people treat him like he's some elite stud but also others who dont think he's really that great.

Analytics are generally very high on him. Plays tough minutes and does it really well.

Rumor has it that he doesn't want to play in Canada though, so that rules us out as much as Jets. Otherwise it might have been a good idea to revisit the Gardiner for Trouba deal.

Reactions: Menzinger and weems

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Can we please just trade for Tanev and go all in this year? We are one top 4 RHD away from being serious contenders.

For

Chris Tanev

Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Ennis - Lindholm - Leivo

Rielly - Tanev
Gardener - Zaitsev
Dermott - Hainsey

Even if Tanev came with a twin, we'd likely still not get a full season out of them!

I don't get all this Tanev love when you can't rely on him being healthy enough to even play enough games to make it matter.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Even if Tanev came with a twin, we'd likely still not get a full season out of them!

I don't get all this Tanev love when you can't rely on him being healthy enough to even play enough games to make it matter.

I understand the love, he plays a good, entertaining and effective brand of hockey. But you're right, we shouldn't be blind to his injury history. People were pissed at Kadri for the suspension against BOS... well there is a good chance that Tanev would miss a good chunk of playoff hockey due to injury too... No different, really.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
You also have to keep in mind that Tanev has sucked the past two years. His value is pretty much in the toilet.

Relative Corsi is -0.7 two years ago and -1.8 last year. That's not terrible, but it's nowhere what he used to be, and those numbers would be a lot worse if he was playing as many minutes a night as he used to. He could have very well been like Zaitsev last year with more injuries and less offense if he was playing in Zaitsev's role at those times.

His career average (including those two years) is +1.0, so he was pretty good before that, but his injuries plus poor play does not give him a ton of value (despite what Canucks fans may claim).

Brown + Nielsen + either Carrick or a heavily conditional pick that could be as high as a 2nd is the most he should be getting. If we lose Brown, then Hyman, Lindholm, Kapanen and Johnsson are probably the PKers and I guess Ennis would enter the lineup. Ennis would either not play on the special teams, or would replace Johnsson on the PP if Johnsson has to play too much PK in a game. Or maybe the Leafs will look at Winnik to play PK and on the 4th line. Although it would be a decent downgrade from Brown to Ennis/Winnik.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Analytics are generally very high on him. Plays tough minutes and does it really well.

Rumor has it that he doesn't want to play in Canada though, so that rules us out as much as Jets. Otherwise it might have been a good idea to revisit the Gardiner for Trouba deal.

Canada, or Winnipeg. that's a big difference.
though i'm wonderig what on earth has Trouba done in his career to think he warrants 7m.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
though i'm wonderig what on earth has Trouba done in his career to think he warrants 7m.

He hasn't even done anything to warrant more than Rielly in my books, but I would easily give him 5.5-6 mill a year long term if he would accept it.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

In part I think it has to do with the Jets playing hardball on his first bridge deal.

And likely also a pressure tactic to get a race (assuming he’d rather be in a US or non-Winnipeg market)

Reactions: Daisy Jane

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Underlying numbers are pretty strong, I’m not sure about elite but top pairing quality at least.

Reactions: weems

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Underlying numbers are pretty strong, I’m not sure about elite but top pairing quality at least.

I think what happens alot on this site is a certain player gets put in a trade scenario and alot of times the team getting the player doesnt like the price and thus starts tearing down the player.

I see this alot with Nylander. Nylander gets proposed for some really good D and the other fanbase or just fans of other teams think its a silly offer and then proceed to drastically underrate Nylander.

I liked Trouba back when he was drafted but hadnt really followed him much.

Reactions: Menzinger

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Which would be more than enough to solidify our D core imo.

Trouba is the same age as Rielly and would make them one of the youngest top pairings in the league. It would also mean the end for Gardiner imo cause Trouba's looking for a decent payday.

Rielly-Trouba
Dermott-Zaitsev
Rosen/Borgman/Marincin/-Ozhiganov/Carrick/Holl

With Sandin and Liljegren developing.

LeafShark

Feb 2, 2010
Gardiner should be treated as a rental at this point. Perhaps unthought of at first, but maybe Gardiner should be dumped for picks and a good rhd prospect that has just broken into the nhl. He'll definately be a pricey option if he is resigned. It means a worse team on paper this year, but a bright defensive future.

... Or we can just trade him straight up for a one legged karlsson.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto

Gardiner for Trouba would be a solid swap for us.

I dont think the Jets would entertain it unless Gardiner signed an extension.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Gardiner for Trouba would be a solid swap for us.

I dont think the Jets would entertain it unless Gardiner signed an extension.
Yeah, that's just as a basis. I think the deal would be with the hope that both guys sign extensions for their new clubs, so it's possible that both clubs will allow negotiations for that.

We'd have to add, but I'd be fine with that.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015

I have heard the rumor that he doesn't want to play in Canada, but have also read somewhere that he wants to be closer to where his partner is (think DET area). As far as proximity to Michigan his home state, there are few teams located closer than Toronto, which might make us a desirable location.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
Yeah, that's just as a basis. I think the deal would be with the hope that both guys sign extensions for their new clubs, so it's possible that both clubs will allow negotiations for that.

We'd have to add, but I'd be fine with that.

I could see something like...

WPG
Gardiner
Leivo
Carrick

TOR
Trouba

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017

For

Chris Tanev

Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Ennis - Lindholm - Leivo

Rielly - Tanev
Gardener - Zaitsev
Dermott - Hainsey
Who is coming along with Tanev? That is way more than even the craziest Canucks fans want.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

For

Chris Tanev

Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Ennis - Lindholm - Leivo

Rielly - Tanev
Gardener - Zaitsev
Dermott - Hainsey

right. and when tanevdoesn't play 75% of the games we'll still have to find another person to replace him. i don't now why people want to give up the farm for that piece of glass player. if you want him, fine, but that is way to much for a player who has never even played 75 games in his entire NHL career.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad