2018 Free Agent and Trade Thread - News? Hello? Please give us news

Status
Not open for further replies.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Dumba contract isn’t that great of a comparison considering they play completely different positions and are staged two years apart.

Dumba definitely wasn’t worth 6 million in his D+2-3 years.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Dumba contract isn’t that great of a comparison considering they play completely different positions and are staged two years apart.

Dumba definitely wasn’t worth 6 million in his D+2-3 years.

Development isn't linear. Dumba's season this past year was more impressive than any season Nylander has had yet.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Development isn't linear. Dumba's season this past year was more impressive than any season Nylander has had yet.

And Nylander just finished his sophomore season, part of his next contract will be based on his potential for growth. Dumba is likely as good as he’s going to be.

It’s simply not a good comparison for Nylander. Gardiner maybe, considering they’re both at least D men

Leaffan1991

Oct 22, 2016
Canada
Would Brown, Gardiner and a 1st be enough for Panarin?

Marleau- Matthews- Nylander
Hyman- Tavares- Marner
Panarin- Kadri- Kapanen
Johnsson- Lindholm- Ennis

Sign Hamhuis for a year to take Gardiners place.

Noone could stop our offense, you wouldn’t really have to worry about d.

Pipe dream, unrealistic but you never know..

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I would be exploring trouba as an option. I mean IF he wants to be near Michigan we have to be kinda the closest outside of the wings who are a tire fire.

2 yrs before UFA. gardiner is 1 year before UFA. I would look for gardiner plus for trouba. Perhaps conditional on if the other re signs?

The jets can’t take a step back and lose trouba for anything other than a top 4 D. They have Myers and buff has RHD. Need lefty.

I think that. makes sense as a base.

Heck I know the home town pull is overboard post JT. But we are the most realistic option for trouba to be close to Home and play for a good team. 4 hrs drive. 1 hr flight.

The jets are the closest flight for Jake to get back to Minnesota as well. They won’t sign him with the expansion draft coming up.

Last edited:

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Would Brown, Gardiner and a 1st be enough for Panarin?

Marleau- Matthews- Nylander
Hyman- Tavares- Marner
Panarin- Kadri- Kapanen
Johnsson- Lindholm- Ennis

Sign Hamhuis for a year to take Gardiners place.

Noone could stop our offense, you wouldn’t really have to worry about d.

Pipe dream, unrealistic but you never know..

Why would we pay that much for a one year rental... And it's not even on defense. Our defense went from bad to worse.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
Why would we pay that much for a one year rental... And it's not even on defense. Our defense went from bad to worse.
How is the team with the 12th best GA considered a bad defensive team? I mean they’re obviously not the best, but top thirdish in the league is pretty okay for what’s continually described as a tire fire

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
How is the team with the 12th best GA considered a bad defensive team? I mean they’re obviously not the best, but top thirdish in the league is pretty okay for what’s continually described as a tire fire

Well now subtract Gardiner and Brown from that and replace it with Hamhuis. I like Hamhuis, and do not trust Gardiner, but that's not a deal the Leafs can afford to make. At the very least those assets need to be used towards making this team better defensively, not getting another scorer... Never mind a scorer who won't even be here past this year.

Kurisu

mad scientist
Aug 13, 2012
In A Lonely Corner

I wouldn't say we were a bad defensive team, but the defence was exposed during the Boston series. They couldn't make plays under pressure.

Leaffan1991

Oct 22, 2016
Canada
I believe that there are some d on the marlies that could actually help the leafs out.
Reality is we can’t and shouldn’t pay Gardiners next contract, especially after Dumba got that contract.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
And Nylander just finished his sophomore season, part of his next contract will be based on his potential for growth. Dumba is likely as good as he’s going to be.

It’s simply not a good comparison for Nylander. Gardiner maybe, considering they’re both at least D men

Dumba is NOT at his peak... :laugh:...

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
I wouldn't say we were a bad defensive team, but the defence was exposed during the Boston series. They couldn't make plays under pressure.
The right side couldn't transition the puck and was the area they pressured. Bring that sides skill level up a bit and it's more manageable.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017

People point to the vast amount of low percentage perimeter shots taken at our goalies and say that the team is being saved from being a bottom 5 GA team by Price level 'tending, when in truth all it takes is just slightly above average goaltending to stop that kind of shooting and goalies who don't lose their minds being relatively busy game in game out.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
let me guess, Ryder, Halak and 2nd rounder proposals that Hab fans kept proposing in the past.
It's the new version - Someone online (can't remember who) kept suggesting there was "chatter" that the Leafs were front runners for trade targets like Erik Karlsson or Ryan O'Reilly by offering up a package of Brown, Neilsen and a 2nd.

Frankly, I think Tanev is a much more realistic target for such a package (especially considering Benning being Benning) so I don't think it's really fair to blame people for taking the proposal at its face value.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
CLB
Brown
Gardiner
Timashov
1st round

TOR
Panarin
Savard
I would be pretty happy with getting Savard for Gardiner straight up - If Dubas spent Brown, Timashov and a 1st for one year of Panarin, I wouldn't be upset with that at all. We'd be unstoppable up front while balancing out our blueline. I'd do this in a heartbeat, which I can only imagine means there's not a chance it would realistically happen :P I'd be comfortable offering up more if Gardiner re-signed, so perhaps conditional picks going either way could be involved if any further balancing of value needed to be done.

Reactions: Leaffan1991

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
For strictly a rental panarin: 1st, (top 10 protect or it whatever in case of a disaster), brown, timashov/b level prospect is fair

Leaffan1991

Oct 22, 2016
Canada
TOR
Savard
3rd round 2019 (CLB)
Barclay Goodrow

SJ
2nd round 2019 (Tor)
Panarin

CLB
Brown
1st round 2020 (SJ)
Timo Meier
Gardiner

I’m just throwing out ideas of what a three way trade could look like.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
[QUOTE="Daisy Jane, post: 148035025, member: 87564"
Dubas is being all dumb and not doing anything fantastic to top the Tavares thing.[/QUOTE]

Will we get a defender? Is there potential even to sign a older vet like Hainsey?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad