2018 Free Agent and Trade Thread - News? Hello? Please give us news

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
The only counter that I would say to Grundstrom is that he bring something different than most of the other wingers currently available within the organization. Everyone else seems to be the skilled, speedy wingers without a lot of grit. I could see him sticking around to bring a different dynamic to the team.

Otherwise, I don't mind if he takes a year with the Marlies.

Leivo brings the same sort of dynamic. He's not going to drop the gloves that often (nor will Grundstrom), but he's not afraid to play physical or get into the dirty areas. He will lay out hits and uses his size about as effectively as you would hope for a skilled player. At 6'2", 210lbs, he's not exactly lacking the size for that either.

I really think the only reason why people are so against Leivo is because Babcock refused to play him for two years when there was not much room for him. However whenever he did play, he has always been one of the better forwards, and was always one of the better forwards on the Marlies too. There is no reason to not like him, and I am not sure why Babcock would not use him now when he would fill the hole in the top 12 perfectly. Plus I doubt there is anyone on our current roster who is anywhere near as good as him in front of the net. He's like Hyman with real hands and offensive skill, but does not play PK or work as hard (because I do not know many NHL forwards who do).

Eat The Rich

Jun 17, 2017
In my dreams Dubas takes the stage and announces matching 8x8 contracts for all 3 young stars.

Reactions: Al14

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
In my dreams Dubas takes the stage and announces matching 8x8 contracts for all 3 young stars.

If Dubas signed all of the big 3 to identical 8 x 8.0 million dollar contracts tomorrow, what percentage of the posts do you think would be complaining about how he overpaid Nylander and Marner, compared to getting a steal out of Matthews' deal? I'd say 90/10

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
Obviously agents say alot of things, but decent interview with Orr on TSN about an extension. In another interview he also talked about how happy Matthews is with Tavares.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Hot Take.

The Sens should just tell Tampa Bay if they want Karlsson, it will take Sergachev, a 1st and a 2nd.

Leave Ryan out of it, don’t try and push them more, just let them sit on it.

Same with Dallas. Heiskanen, 1st and a 2nd.

Get that young, stud d-man, and a couple picks, and put the Karlsson era behind you

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Obviously agents say alot of things, but decent interview with Orr on TSN about an extension. In another interview he also talked about how happy Matthews is with Tavares.

It’d be ridiculous to think otherwise.

I was also encouraged by Orr saying that it’s not about money with Matthews, he feels the same way as Tavares, and just wants to be in Toronto.

I really think Matthews, Marner and Nylander will all come in below what we expect. I think they all have the mentality of “take a bit less to
Win”.

Reactions: Cobra777 and Jmo89

Cleetus

"snot"
Jan 2, 2012
North!
Hot Take.

The Sens should just tell Tampa Bay if they want Karlsson, it will take Sergachev, a 1st and a 2nd.

Get that young, stud d-man, and a couple picks, and put the Karlsson era behind you
yep I agree, time to turn over a new leaf in Ottawa. I love Heiskanen gonna be a stud. Ottawa looks to have some pretty good Talent coming up in the system as well.

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
It’d be ridiculous to think otherwise.

I was also encouraged by Orr saying that it’s not about money with Matthews, he feels the same way as Tavares, and just wants to be in Toronto.

I really think Matthews, Marner and Nylander will all come in below what we expect. I think they all have the mentality of “take a bit less to
Win”.

Yeah, I agree. I think we will be pleasantly surprised.

I also found it encouraging that Orr laughed off the fictional feud with Babcock and even called it bs.

I don't really play into the whole victim thing on these boards, but it's rather amusing how upset some posters are (who aren't islander fans) and have jumped to AM signing a 16M offer sheet with Arizona. Or how a team who placed last overall 3 years ago have made the playoffs two years in a row since, but it means nothing because they haven't made it past the first round.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015

IIRC, Matthews was pitching Toronto to Doughty at the ASG. I don't doubt he's about winning and understands that adding Tavares increases the chances of that happening.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Hot Take.

Tell Melnyk - no doubt he's trying to cut salary

Reactions: Jmo89

Eat The Rich

Jun 17, 2017
If Dubas signed all of the big 3 to identical 8 x 8.0 million dollar contracts tomorrow, what percentage of the posts do you think would be complaining about how he overpaid Nylander and Marner, compared to getting a steal out of Matthews' deal? I'd say 90/10

I was thinking exactly what you said as I was typing it, lol.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Leivo brings the same sort of dynamic. He's not going to drop the gloves that often (nor will Grundstrom), but he's not afraid to play physical or get into the dirty areas. He will lay out hits and uses his size about as effectively as you would hope for a skilled player. At 6'2", 210lbs, he's not exactly lacking the size for that either.

I really think the only reason why people are so against Leivo is because Babcock refused to play him for two years when there was not much room for him. However whenever he did play, he has always been one of the better forwards, and was always one of the better forwards on the Marlies too. There is no reason to not like him, and I am not sure why Babcock would not use him now when he would fill the hole in the top 12 perfectly. Plus I doubt there is anyone on our current roster who is anywhere near as good as him in front of the net. He's like Hyman with real hands and offensive skill, but does not play PK or work as hard (because I do not know many NHL forwards who do).
If Leivo was given the same amount of rope as Hyman he likely would have had better production than Hyman . I will never agree with the Babcock strategy of a player as unskilled as Hyman playing along side a superstar!To be clear, Leivo wouldn't be my first choice either.

Leaffan1991

Oct 22, 2016
Canada
So there’s talk of a gardiner for Myers swap. That would be exactly what we need on the right side.

Also should trade Brown, Leivo,Neilsen and a 2nd for Faulk

Reilly- Myers
Hainsey- Faulk
Dermott- Zaitsev

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I also have a feelings those three will sign lower than what we all expected. Auston will be the first to sign and he will set an example. I really think the structure of those deals will be like JT, where a lot of money will be upfront right away.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
So there’s talk of a gardiner for Myers swap. That would be exactly what we need on the right side.

Also should trade Brown, Leivo,Neilsen and a 2nd for Faulk

Reilly- Myers
Hainsey- Faulk
Dermott- Zaitsev

I am good with a Gardiner for Myers swap. Pass on Faulk. We are not going to be able to afford him cap wise for one, and he is also not the type of guy who should be on our defense.

Rielly-Myers
Hamhuis-Zaitsev
Dermott-Hainsey
Ozhiganov

Trade Carrick and a couple of goalies and we are golden. If Hamhuis is gone though, then maybe trying Hainsey on the left side is an option, and then having Carrick or Ozhiganov on the 3RD. Could also try Marincin, Borgman or Rosen as a bottom 4 LD. There may be another UFA who is worth a shot, although the options outside of Hamhuis are pretty bleak IMO. Also a trade is a possibly, maybe Kulikov or Chiarot as an add-on from Winnipeg because they already have 4 LD without Gardiner, but who knows if they come at a reasonable price. I am not really a huge fan of either to think they would be significantly better than what we have on the Marlies either.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
If Leivo was given the same amount of rope as Hyman he likely would have had better production than Hyman . I will never agree with the Babcock strategy of a player as unskilled as Hyman playing along side a superstar!To be clear, Leivo wouldn't be my first choice either.

Well if Leivo plays anywhere outside of the 4th line, he'd be playing with high end players. He does not even need to be with Matthews or Tavares. He's good enough defensively to handle playing on a two-way line with Kadri and Brown/Kapanen, or even on a 4th line with Lindholm and the other of Brown/Kapanen if Johnsson ends up in the top 9 (I think it's pretty certain that Marleau and Hyman will be in the top 9 next year; if not the LW's for the two superstars as well).

I think Leivo's main value would be on the PP. Maybe he's only on the 4th line and not given a ton of high leverage situations at ES , but I can see him being a go-to guy on the PP. Replacing Bozak and Komarov on the PP will not be difficult, but finding net front presences to even come close to replacing JvR is going to be hard, especially since our other net front presence (I believe it was either Marleau or Komarov) was far from amazing themselves. Leivo's got great skill in tight around the net, and should at least be better than any other options we have right now. Johnsson may give him a run for his money though. He may be small, but he is good around the net. Putting him with Kadri on a PP would also open up a lot of options because both have experience with multiple spots on a PP, so it would be far easier to adjust to rotations.

You could have Leivo (NET), Tavares (C), Marner (RW/Forward QB), Marleau (LW), Rielly (PPQB) as one PP and then Johnsson (NET), Kadri (C), Matthews (LW), Nylander (RW/Forward QB), Gardiner (PPQB) as the other. Zaitsev could also be a PPQB if Gardiner were to be traded. Hyman and Lindholm would be the PK centers, with Brown and Kapanen as the wingers. Hainsey, Rielly, Zaitsev and (at least for now) a competition between Dermott and Ozhiganov for the last spot would be the PK defensemen. Most likely the first three are going to be overloaded much like last year, which is why we need a guy like Myers in the first place.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Well if Leivo plays anywhere outside of the 4th line, he'd be playing with high end players. He does not even need to be with Matthews or Tavares. He's good enough defensively to handle playing on a two-way line with Kadri and Brown/Kapanen, or even on a 4th line with Lindholm and the other of Brown/Kapanen if Johnsson ends up in the top 9 (I think it's pretty certain that Marleau and Hyman will be in the top 9 next year; if not the LW's for the two superstars as well).

I think Leivo's main value would be on the PP. Maybe he's only on the 4th line and not given a ton of high leverage situations at ES , but I can see him being a go-to guy on the PP. Replacing Bozak and Komarov on the PP will not be difficult, but finding net front presences to even come close to replacing JvR is going to be hard, especially since our other net front presence (I believe it was either Marleau or Komarov) was far from amazing themselves. Leivo's got great skill in tight around the net, and should at least be better than any other options we have right now. Johnsson may give him a run for his money though. He may be small, but he is good around the net. Putting him with Kadri on a PP would also open up a lot of options because both have experience with multiple spots on a PP, so it would be far easier to adjust to rotations.

You could have Leivo (NET), Tavares (C), Marner (RW/Forward QB), Marleau (LW), Rielly (PPQB) as one PP and then Johnsson (NET), Kadri (C), Matthews (LW), Nylander (RW/Forward QB), Gardiner (PPQB) as the other. Zaitsev could also be a PPQB if Gardiner were to be traded. Hyman and Lindholm would be the PK centers, with Brown and Kapanen as the wingers. Hainsey, Rielly, Zaitsev and (at least for now) a competition between Dermott and Ozhiganov for the last spot would be the PK defensemen. Most likely the first three are going to be overloaded much like last year, which is why we need a guy like Myers in the first place.

While I agree that Leivo would be decent on the powerplay, you're wasting his shot by putting him on the Net, especially since Tavares scores most of his goals down low. Does no one remember how many Leivo rebounds that Kadri potted when they played together a couple years ago?

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
I think we need to liberate leivo. I think he clould be a good 2nd/3rd winger if given a shot. He had been passed by too many people already and we will likely lose him to waivers if we dont move him now.

Id like to see...

leivo to edmonton for a 4th.
Gardiner for myers
2nd, sparks, brown for faulk

Hyman. Matthews. Nylander
Marleau. Tavares. Marner
Johnsson. Kadri. Kapanen
Grundstrom lindholm. Ennis

Rielly. Faulk
Dermott. Meyers
Hainsey Zaitsev

Reactions: Leaffan1991

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Myers is a much worse player than Gardiner.

Not sure why everyone wants that trade so bad other than 6'7 RHD.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Myers is a much worse player than Gardiner.

Not sure why everyone wants that trade so bad other than 6'7 RHD.

too many have blinders for "RHD" not every RHD is a fit for what we need. Faulk is a huge no for me barely a top4 D and Myers is a little more interesting but there is a serious injury history

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad