2018 Free Agent and Trade Thread - News? Hello? Please give us news

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Tanev just signed with the Jets for 1 year and 1.15milj. Man that dawg went real cheap. Wish we would get s sucka like that there. We missed on that fool.

as Pure as Evil

Sep 18, 2011
Hell, Alberta
with how close the east is, hell maybe just say the Atlantic. you have to think teams will be very cautious trading talent to conference rivals. maybe besides Ottawa. that brings me to what it seemed the sharks did. basically facilitated a for Florida since Ottawa didn't want to trade him inside the division. on that Note which teams might be willing to do us a favor. I brought this up in another thread but as it is I cant see a lot of teams lining up to do us a solid. but maybe a couple might if we offer them more then they have to pay for said talent.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
with how close the east is, hell maybe just say the Atlantic. you have to think teams will be very cautious trading talent to conference rivals. maybe besides Ottawa. that brings me to what it seemed the sharks did. basically facilitated a for Florida since Ottawa didn't want to trade him inside the division. on that Note which teams might be willing to do us a favor. I brought this up in another thread but as it is I cant see a lot of teams lining up to do us a solid. but maybe a couple might if we offer them more then they have to pay for said talent.
I think this would be the list of teams that we might... and a pretty big and random might, have some good favour with:
Anaheim
San Jose
St Louis
Pittsburgh
Columbus
All those teams are teams we have a good recent history of dealing with and/or teams Dubas specifically has dealt with.

Now, I can't see us having especially bad favour with any team, even the Isles, who if not for Tavares would have been at the top of the list of good teams.

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON
I could see something like...

WPG
Gardiner
Leivo
Carrick

TOR
Trouba

I can't really see us getting our long awaited "final piece" for a package of expendable assets.

I like all 3 players, but pretty sure we'll have to include something in there we don't want to part with.

Would you trade Rielly for that package?

Reactions: Snowman

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
I can't really see us getting our long awaited "final piece" for a package of expendable assets.

I like all 3 players, but pretty sure we'll have to include something in there we don't want to part with.

Would you trade Rielly for that package?

I think Rielly is better than Trouba, so I wouldn't trade Rielly straight up for Trouba...Jet's gotta add.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
No way we trade for Trouba. He's not cost controlled and thats the last thing we need right now with our cap situation. We are going to stick with improving our defence internally and with guys who are cap controlled

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
No way we trade for Trouba. He's not cost controlled and thats the last thing we need right now with our cap situation. We are going to stick with improving our defence internally and with guys who are cap controlled
I wouldn't be so sure.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Dawg days of summer trade.

To Columbus: Kadri, Gardiner (BJs go three C deep with Kadri, Dubois and Wennberg and trade strength from RD to LD...would they try to sign Gards after this year?)
To Toronto: Savard, Jenner (MLs strengthen RD while wondering if Dermott can handle 2nd pairing duties while saving Hainsey minutes/game while toughening up front and can Nylander play C?...yes)

Johnsson, Matthews, Hyman
Jenner, Tavares, Marner
Marleau, Nylander, Kapanen
Leivo/Ennis, Lindholm/Jooris, Brown

Rielly, Savard
Dermott, Zaitsev
Hainsey, Carrick

Kurisu

mad scientist
Aug 13, 2012
In A Lonely Corner
Dawg days of summer trade.

To Columbus: Kadri, Gardiner (BJs go three C deep with Kadri, Dubois and Wennberg and trade strength from RD to LD...would they try to sign Gards after this year?)
To Toronto: Savard, Jenner (MLs strengthen RD while wondering if Dermott can handle 2nd pairing duties while saving Hainsey minutes/game while toughening up front and can Nylander play C?...yes)

Johnsson, Matthews, Hyman
Jenner, Tavares, Marner
Marleau, Nylander, Kapanen
Leivo/Ennis, Lindholm/Jooris, Brown

Rielly, Savard
Dermott, Zaitsev
Hainsey, Carrick

that's a bad deal for us.

as Pure as Evil

Sep 18, 2011
Hell, Alberta
I think this would be the list of teams that we might... and a pretty big and random might, have some good favour with:
Anaheim
San Jose
St Louis
Pittsburgh
Columbus
All those teams are teams we have a good recent history of dealing with and/or teams Dubas specifically has dealt with.

Now, I can't see us having especially bad favour with any team, even the Isles, who if not for Tavares would have been at the top of the list of good teams.

yeah I'm just trying to think out of the normal box, but I guess it would depend on what's available. I just remember a thread that had carlo coming to the leafs and the bruins fan were extremely against trading with us let alone in the division. then the stuff between Ottawa san jose florida happened so I wonder if we might be able to pull something like that. but it would end up being a complicated piece of work. and the said team would have to be ok with the backlash that might follow. especially if it happened to be the bruins lol

it seems like Wilson and ruther don't mind rustling feathers I just cant see pits wanting to help us get stronger. so I would assume it would be down to the ducks sharks and blues . since they are all in the west.

Potential targets for this situation could be countless . just something to jabber on about

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Man oh man! So many desperate deals on here! Tanev...really?History says hes not reliable! Trouba= Trouble! Unhappy camper who thinks he is better than he is! Toronto just got John Tavares! The team offense just got cranked up to 11 !I'm not gonna over pay to make the Dcorps (12th in the league) a little bit better!

Reactions: LeafShark

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
that's a bad deal for us.

Thank you for presenting the reasons why it's a bad deal, things are so much clearer to me now.

I realize that moving Kadri takes away from what might be the strongest set of C in the NHL, but personally I believe Nylander should be playing C and averaging 14 min/night behind JT and AM it is the perfect time to insert him into the 3C position, better justifying his new contract while giving him a chance to put up comparable points to what Kadri would do given similar minutes. While Kadri's contract is wonderful, so too is Savard's and he is the type of Dman that this team has been desiring for ages. His presence absolutely gives Rielly the best partner he's ever had as a Leaf and both are capable of playing 24/5 min/night. It would be a very solid 1st pairing D and would shelter Hainsey from the overuse he absorbed last year. The question mark is the 2nd pairing: can Zaitsev be effective and can Dermott move up from his sheltered 3rd pairing role of last year...acknowledged. I've long wanted Jenner on the team as I consider his positive qualities to be those that this team lack. Tough, intimidating, with some scoring touch and abilities to go into the corners and dig out the puck, he offers the Leafs a player who will not back down from the physical play of the playoffs. At 3.75/yr for 4 more years he gives the Leafs a player (including Hyman and Leivo today, Grundstom tomorrow) more grit for when the grind in April begins. Also, his ability to play C in a pinch is not to be overlooked, though I don't think it's his best position. As I don't wish to have a part of paying Gardiner 6+/yr should he come close to the point totals of the last two years, I'd prefer the 3 and 4 years of Savard and Jenner to the 1 and 4 years of Gardiner and Kadri.

If you have an alternative plan to acquiring a solid RD with term while avoiding paying Gardiner after this year, I'm all ears. I'd love to keep Kadri, but I think one has to offer quality to gain quality back.

Reactions: Daisy Jane

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
It's a bad deal because Kadri is better than Jenner by a lot and Gardiner is better than Savard by a lot. Factor in Kadri also has by far the best deal in the trade too and you know why it's bad.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Tanev just signed with the Jets for 1 year and 1.15milj. Man that dawg went real cheap. Wish we would get s sucka like that there. We missed on that fool.

Why would we want Brandon Tanev? 22 points in 115 games? we have Johnson and leivo who would be better fits than him on the 4LW or higher

Edit: also I don't think he was a UFA, im pretty sure he was a RFA

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
It's a bad deal because Kadri is better than Jenner by a lot and Gardiner is better than Savard by a lot. Factor in Kadri also has by far the best deal in the trade too and you know why it's bad.

Kadri is the best player, granted, but his contract, while great, is not that much better than Savard's. Try finding a quality RD in today's market with a cap hit of 4.25/yr. And while Gards does put up more points than Savard, his defensive game, imo, doesn't match Savard's. Couple that with our desire to find a RD to help balance our overall D than I believe Gardiner is expendable at this time and more to the point, allows us to escape the need to re-sign him at 6+/yr. If you've an alternative, please, I'd love to hear it. As to Kadri being much better than Jenner, yes he is, but he doesn't bring the physical presence that Jenner does, and Jenner, if he regains his scoring touch, does offer positive offense potential while increasing the sandpaper this team lacks, at least in the minds of many. Further, as I mentioned earlier, I trust in Nylander's ability to succeed in the 3C spot. If you compare the talent of the two players from each team, I think you're right in saying the Leafs lose if this trade were made. However, if you measure it by examining the balance of the Leafs after this trade then I believe a case can be made for pulling the trigger. You may disagree, but hey, that's what discussion boards are for.

As to Man Bear Pig's comment about the how we are thin at C if Kadri were traded, as stated, I believe Nylander can more than adequately cover the need at 3C as either he or Kadri are going to be much stronger 3C players than what most teams will be able to respond with...and Jenner would offer support at the position as well.

Anyway, that's it from me for awhile, carry on folks and have some fun this summer, and send positive thoughts to Dubas being able to do some magic, it's been quiet around here lately.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Trouba on the Leafs would be a heck of a get. The Jets have salary concerns of their own so they wouldn't be demanding players like Gardiner, Marner, Nylander. All these players do not fit into their salary cap.

If Dubas can somehow get a deal done where we keep the big three at C, and Nylander/Marner. While also keeping Gardiner, Reilly, Dermott and Lljergren!!!! It would be a huge win.

Maybe a deal of Brown, Carrick, Leivo and 1st????

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Would Montreal be willing to pickup some of Jeff Petry's salary in a deal with us? Right handed shot that would look good next to Reilly this coming season.

Maybe Kapanen, Neilsen and 2nd Round Pick for Petry with Montreal holding on to 25% of his remaining cap hit? Would bring his cap hit to the Leafs for around 3.5 million per length of contract. Is this doable?

Last edited:

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Trouba on the Leafs would be a heck of a get. The Jets have salary concerns of their own so they wouldn't be demanding players like Gardiner, Marner, Nylander. All these players do not fit into their salary cap.

If Dubas can somehow get a deal done where we keep the big three at C, and Nylander/Marner. While also keeping Gardiner, Reilly, Dermott and Lljergren!!!! It would be a huge win.

Maybe a deal of Brown, Carrick, Leivo and 1st????

that wouldn't get a broken trouba stick. Carrick and leivo have little to no value, brown is slightly overrated by leaf fans he is good nothing more and the 1st is (hopefully) pretty late. Every single team in the league beats that deal easily

Reactions: Snowman

Field of Dreams

Oct 10, 2011
Port Credit
I don't know why anyone would want to trade Kadri. I don't think people realise how thin we are at center once you get past JT, Matthews and Kadri. You trade Kadri and you really are removing a team strength. One that's good enough to get to the finals.

Nobody wants to trade Kadri. However unless we are going for a RHD with serious warts (i.e. Tanev) it's going to cost us something we really don't want to lose.

I'm not campaigning for Kadri to be traded, but there are certainly defenseman it would make sense to trade him for.

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
Does this open trade possibilities ?

Trouba awarded 1-year, $5.5M in arbitration

An abitrator has awarded Winnipeg Jets defenceman Jacob Trouba a one-year, US$5.5-million contract for the 2018-19 season, the league announced Sunday. Winnipeg has 48 hours to accept the ruling or turn it down and make Trouba an unrestricted free agent.

Winnipeg would be crazy not to trade him. As soon as he hits FA he will be gone, probably most value now.
Question is how much do you pay? To keep him, it won't be cheap.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Nobody wants to trade Kadri. However unless we are going for a RHD with serious warts (i.e. Tanev) it's going to cost us something we really don't want to lose.

I'm not campaigning for Kadri to be traded, but there are certainly defenseman it would make sense to trade him for.
With impact for cap dollar being at premium for us moving forward, Kadri is almost untouchable for us. We need great players on cheap contracts even more than we need another RD, at least for the next two seasons.

Reactions: OddyOh and IBeL34f
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad