2018 Free Agent and Trade Thread - News? Hello? Please give us news

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
but that wasn't near my birthday :P
if we use this logic this means David Clarkson was a birthday present and that would suck bananas,
Always keep your receipts.
That way you can return a Clarkson for a Horton.
Or get store credit. Perhaps the fall line of new defenseman will come in.

Reactions: Daisy Jane

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
I’ve liked the idea of Hamhuis for a year to play beside Zaitsev, if Gards can be flipped for someone who can play beside Mo.

Right now, there’s enough bodies around, so these depth types are more like dominoes that might fall after other ones do.

Always liked Jurco though, maybe on s tryout.

I also really like the idea of Hamhuis as a depth option who can be a stabilizing D in a similar fashion as Hainsey. Adding Hamhuis would give us another good PK option which would really help out Hainsey & Zaitsev.

It would also create depth in the event of injuries to simply give the odd rest day. Hainsey definitely would benefit from the odd rest day.

Reactions: showtime8

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
I'd take Hamhuis on a 1 year deal on anything south of 2mill per year. At this point in the off-season, you're not going to see a lot of guys signing for term and the likeliest scenario is guys getting vet minimums and PTO's.

I'd take Hamhuis on a 1 year - 1.75 per or Bieksa on a vet minimum as insurance for the season.

AxNjXn

Jul 2, 2018
So i've been looking at the leafs roster over and over again, trying to see how they could bolster the defensive core while still retaining a solid 3rd line centerman to shutdown the opposing team while producing some goals/assists..

First off I want to say that I think the leafs should not move Kadri/Gardiner Yet.. I think they need to run with what they have (farm included) to see if they can keep the puck out of the net while producing the type of points we all expect with the latest addition of Tavares..

Worst case (positive) scenario; The leafs are averaging 2-3 goal games throughout the season, but are also allowing 2-3 goals against per game.. What do they do? what options do they have after attempting numerous lineups, but the end result remains the same?.. 3rd period collapses or just squeaking in a win after leading 3-0, then a nail bitter 3rd resulting in a 3-2 victory.. or the OT 3-3 w/loss outcome?

I keep coming back to the same team that Toronto should trade with... and that team is the Florida Panthers..

specifically adding a top 4 defender with some serious experience/leadership.. I don't think that the leaf's should trade out an offensive defender for a defensive defender, but I do think they should swap out the same type of player for a more well rounded type of player.. And that's where i bring in the name Keith Yandle. Some might cringe at this and say "bloated contract! he's not worth that!! 6.5 Million per year isn't worth that!, but look at Jake Gardiner.. We are paying him 4.05 Million for the same production levels but lack that experience we desperately need on the back end.

My theory on a trade that would benefit both parties involved would be the following;

To Florida Panthers:
Jake Gardiner
Nazim Kadri

To Toronto Maple Leafs:
Keith Yandle
Jared McCann

Why do I like this trade? Jared McCann is a young well rounded player i believe is finally coming into his own but will never breach the 2nd line C roll. He is extremely mature for his age, he's big.. he stands up for his teammates and fights when needed.. He can definitely score, and he also loves to battle vs top players. He finished the season strong last year, posting the best (+/-) on the Panthers, and was given lots of PK opportunities.

Contract swap:
Nazim Kadri - 4.5 Million till 2021-2022
Jake Gardiner - 4.05 Million Till 2018-2019 (UFA release)

Keith Yandle - 6.35 Million Till 2022-2023 (6 Million in remaining bonus) (UFA release)
Jared McCann - 1.25 Million till 2019-2020

Both teams can negotiate other factors like additional picks/trades etc.. but this would be the main core to the trade..

me personally, I think it's a win win for both clubs.. The panthers acquire the firepower they need to put the puck in the back of the net, and they have the ability to juggle the centers currently and flip them on wings w/ kadri, while still retaining an offensive player like Jake Gardiner on defense..

The leafs acquire Keith Yandle who should be able to really contribute on the blueline and bring leadership and experience to a much needed group on the blueline, while acquiring a proper 3rd line centerman who has been build/trained for the role.

Contracts are basically a wash, we break even.. no harm no foul..

Let me know your thoughts..

Cheers,

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Both of our players are far superior to both of theirs. By a lot. Yandle is an older version of Gardiner heading into the years that start looking bad on his contract. We might as well just re-sign Gardiner and get those good years as well (not that I would petition for that). McCann is a 'meh' 3C at best right now and barring a major improvement in his game, will likely never become a top 6 center. We have guys like that already in our system, and we do not even have that many centers.

I'm up for trading Gardiner. Definitely not in this trade though. Kadri is pretty much untouchable unless a really good deal comes along.

AxNjXn

Jul 2, 2018
I just think that you need to way into consideration that Kadri will not be utilized to his fullest potential as a leaf. he has a wonderful contract that is extremely enticing for other clubs that we can yield to our advantage. I just don't think Kadri will remain a 30g scorer in the 3rd line position, and down the road that will have a negative impact on his re-sale value... Looking at it from a business perspective.. you always want to buy low, sell high.. and right now.. selling high, won't have a negative impact on moving kadri since we already have Matthews/Tavares.

I donno, I'm a strong believer in leadership in the dressing room. I personally think the leafs young core need a player to look up too aside from the coach. They have that on offense w/ Marleau, but they need that on defense. I think on a whole, you would see better production from the other players, especially leading into the post-season

bansheebeat

Cherry-Coloured Funk
Jul 31, 2011
So...
Gardiner for Yandle
Kadri for McCann

Seems like a well-thought out proposal that deserves its own thread.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
We are contenders, we aren’t sellers anymore.

We are not going to trade guys like Stastny at the deadline only to have our players (Schenn) call out our management. St. Louis did a stupid move and it cost them the playoffs.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
I just think that you need to way into consideration that Kadri will not be utilized to his fullest potential as a leaf. he has a wonderful contract that is extremely enticing for other clubs that we can yield to our advantage. I just don't think Kadri will remain a 30g scorer in the 3rd line position, and down the road that will have a negative impact on his re-sale value... Looking at it from a business perspective.. you always want to buy low, sell high.. and right now.. selling high, won't have a negative impact on moving kadri since we already have Matthews/Tavares.

I donno, I'm a strong believer in leadership in the dressing room. I personally think the leafs young core need a player to look up too aside from the coach. They have that on offense w/ Marleau, but they need that on defense. I think on a whole, you would see better production from the other players, especially leading into the post-season
Naz is quite valuable! A fair return would take some diggin'.Sure he has never been worth more,but not likely to get a team to give up a roster player that matches his value. Personally I would want a bona fide #2 D at the very least.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I'd take Hamhuis on a 1 year deal on anything south of 2mill per year. At this point in the off-season, you're not going to see a lot of guys signing for term and the likeliest scenario is guys getting vet minimums and PTO's.

I'd take Hamhuis on a 1 year - 1.75 per or Bieksa on a vet minimum as insurance for the season.

Bieksa is cooked at this point. I would put pretty much anyone we have on the Marles in the lineup long before him. He's not even worth a PTO. He should just retire, and he likely will end up doing just that.

AxNjXn

Jul 2, 2018
Well, if you guys actually read the post, vs skimming through it, i specifically mentioned to not make any trades like this until we are 40+ games into the regular season, and if the same situations arise like in the past, options like this need to be explored..

We all can agree that Toronto needs to bolster up the toughness and grit.. McCann is a big guy who can hit, and once he makes that hit, the player feels it and will effect the games outcome.. That's a big key factor in success.. that LITERALLY is why we never make it past round 1 in the post season.. Yes, we can stack the roster till we are blue in the face with statistics of point producers, but those points won't come when we are getting hammered in the boards...

And I say it again.. Yandle would bring leadership into the locker room and give our current defensive core, someone to follow and respect. the dude's only 31... hasn't missed a game in what? 550+ games? he's a tank!

We are stacked in the farm.. we have youth for days.. If the first 40 games are not what is expected, I think a trade like this will come. and Kadri will be the first on the chopping block... he's officially more valuable as trade bait, than producing points on the ice. :(

AxNjXn

Jul 2, 2018
Naz is quite valuable! A fair return would take some diggin'.Sure he has never been worth more,but not likely to get a team to give up a roster player that matches his value. Personally I would want a bona fide #2 D at the very least.

I don't think any team can just hand off a bona #2 defender for offense. they need to do the roster dance and juggle things.. unless they are in full rebuild mode.. but we also need to stay in a salary balance in order to retain the core youth for contract resigns.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
:biglaugh:
And not win the stanley cup with them! Kadri is key and just when we go the team right with tavares etc! :biglaugh:

Fool fans! Stay out. This is about ice hockey and winning. Keeping almost the exact same personel for years. It's a family thang at the same time. Like the players and the game. Fools. Y'all don't understand the game at all some of y'all. As soon as they get the team exactly correct and right and tight, y'all is selling and sending players away :biglaugh: It don't work like that and don't and don't. Therefore we have the right personel moving thangs and doing thangs. Kadri stays. And tries to win with Matthews and Tavares. Fools. I really pity some of y'all. Understand it. We coming out hard in here and just got the team right just for (y'all). We did this just for (y'all) :heart: Understand that.

Reactions: IBeL34f

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
I don't think any team can just hand off a bona #2 defender for offense. they need to do the roster dance and juggle things.. unless they are in full rebuild mode.. but we also need to stay in a salary balance in order to retain the core youth for contract resigns.
You would think that,but Dubas says no problem keeping the core together.Besides,Naz and Tavares played together in London,I think there is some anticipation to see how much offense this team will generate.
Auston Johnny and Naz up the middle is something I can't wait to see!

Jeffrey Pedler

Mar 21, 2018
If Matthews or Tavares get injured, then you need a guy like Kadri who can take their place. Depth is everything, he will not be traded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad