2018 Free Agent and Trade Discussion Thread: The Dogs Days are over

Status
Not open for further replies.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Imagine the situation comes to a head with Nylander and he simply won't sign for under 8 and they decide to ship him out and go all in this season with the massive cap space.

Cap hit for Stone and Duchene combined is 13.35...we have just under that right now without getting into the Horton LTIR cap space. They are both UFA as well.

Duchene - Matthews - Stone
Marleau - Tavares - Marner
Hyman - Kadri - Kapanen
Leivo - Lindholm- Brown

Johnsson/Ennis

= CUP?

Im down with pursuing this on two conditions.
1) Stone agrees to an extension in the 7m x 5 range before the trade happens.
2) We move Marleau at the end of the year, and use his money to sign Duchene to a 6.5/7 x 5 deal.

Year two
Duchene - Matthews - Stone
Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Grundstrom - Kadri - Kappanen
Johnsson - Lindholm - Brown

Reactions: Crysis

sittler rules!!!

Feb 9, 2004
Watching the Leafs last night, even w/o Wee Willie, that offence is sic. Leafs will not be able to keep all three long term, plus Taveras. Trade Willie, (for a stud core D if possible) you still have JT, Marner, Matthews and Kadri as part of your forward core. I cannot right off the top think of a core 4 as good as that. Pittsburgh (Malkin, Crosby, Kessel, Hornquist) Tampa (Stamkos, Kucherov, Point, ??)
Thoughts!!

Reactions: rumman

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
no, Matthews is wayyy better with Nylander flanking him and thats a scary thought for any team.

1. We can keep all three long term
2 We can still add on top of that once Marleau/his cap hit is gone.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
We've feasted on weak opposition in exhibition games. Over the grind of an 82 game schedule, we will need all our offensive firepower.

Stringer Bell

Dec 16, 2009
Yeah, hate to burst your bubble guys...but the teams we faced in preseason were Ottawa, Buffalo, Montreal and Detroit. Pretty sure those aren't the teams we need to steamroll to get to the cup.

Food for thought. And, not trying to be negative at all.

TakeTheBody

Jan 10, 2018
Connor Brown 6 feet
Zack Hyman 6 foot 1
Nazim Kadri 6 foot
Kasperi Kapanen 6 foot 1
Josh Leivo 6 foot 2
Par Lindholm 6 foot
Patrick Marleau 6 foot 2
Austin Matthews 6 foot 3
John Tavares 6 foot 1
Travis Dermott 6 foot
Jake Gardiner 6 foot 2
Ron Hainsey 6 foot 3
Igor Ozighanov 6 foot 3
Morgan Reilly 6 foot 1
Nikita Zaitsev 6 foot 2

80% of our lineup is 6 foot or greater.

Look at the Lightning Lineup in comparison:

Kilhorn 6 foot 1
Miller 6 foot 1
Palat 6 foot
Stamkos 6 foot 1
Girardi 6 foot 1
Hedmen 6 foot 6
McDonaugh 6 foot 1
Sergachev 6 foot 3

Or look at the Bruins in comparison:

Backes 6 foot 3
Bergeron 6 foot 1
Debrusk 6 foot
Donato 6 foot
Krecji 6 foot
Pasternak 6 foot
Chara 6 foot 9
McAvoy 6 foot

So that's our main competition. Where is the size advantage exactly? Its playing style that is the problem. Not size. If our guys play with more tenacity and grit to go along with their skill and speed. Its a non-issue. And I only listed the players that are 6 foot or taller for each team.

Agree about playing with tenacity.

A jump ball on skates would be pretty cool to see.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
We've feasted on weak opposition in exhibition games. Over the grind of an 82 game schedule, we will need all our offensive firepower.
true. big difference between teams like the Lightning and the Sharks compared to what we played.

our division is going to be super easy again.

Tampa, Leafs, and Bruins are already locks for the playoffs.

Montreal, Ottawa, Buffalo, and Detroit are already locks to miss.

Only question mark is Florida. I could also see the Bruins being not as good as last year too. So there could be a battle between Florida and Boston... but that's about it. And I expect Boston to come out on top there anyways.

Leafs and Lightning going to run away with it this year.

Reactions: Menzinger

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Im down with pursuing this on two conditions.
1) Stone agrees to an extension in the 7m x 5 range before the trade happens.
2) We move Marleau at the end of the year, and use his money to sign Duchene to a 6.5/7 x 5 deal.

Stop with silly notion that Marleau is going to waive his NMC and a chance at a Cup, just so Leafs fans can make a better fantasy roster.

I know it is subjective, but Stone and Duchene money could be better spent elsewhere.

leafsrule123

Apr 28, 2010
Castleton
Speaking of Duchene I’m curious to see at years end if he signs a very cheap contract with the Leafs to play close to home with his buddy JT.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Speaking of Duchene I’m curious to see at years end if he signs a very cheap contract with the Leafs to play close to home with his buddy JT.

It's likely that he doesn't have a great year in Ottawa. He will get a lot of opportunity for minutes and situational play, but the talent is there anymore.

I could see him sign a 1 year deal on a good team to increase his value for a long contract the following season. It's unlikely that team is Toronto though.

Contenderorpretender

Oct 10, 2017
It's likely that he doesn't have a great year in Ottawa. He will get a lot of opportunity for minutes and situational play, but the talent is there anymore.

I could see him sign a 1 year deal on a good team to increase his value for a long contract the following season. It's unlikely that team is Toronto though.
If he were to sign a 1 year contract on the cheap. A prove me contract. Which I highly doubt would happen. Teams will still pay him 7mil plus. Toronto would be the absolute best team for a skilled forward to pad their stats. Duschene with tavarez and marner. Easy points.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Carrick + Goat
for
Coburn - Pending UFA (PK & 7th D insurance) + Cory Conacher (even contract swap, send to the marlies)

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
If its a 1yr show me deal then sure, otherwise no thanks. He may need that type of deal after the career hes had.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Watching the Leafs last night, even w/o Wee Willie, that offence is sic. Leafs will not be able to keep all three long term, plus Taveras. Trade Willie, (for a stud core D if possible) you still have JT, Marner, Matthews and Kadri as part of your forward core. I cannot right off the top think of a core 4 as good as that. Pittsburgh (Malkin, Crosby, Kessel, Hornquist) Tampa (Stamkos, Kucherov, Point, ??)
Thoughts!!

Not to mention you still have a supporting cast of Ennis, Kapanen, Marleau, Leivo, Brown, Johnsson, Lindholm and Hyman. Really, what other team has a comparable to that? pretty much every one of those players are capable of 30-50 points. A Hainsey replacement in for a decent top 4 RD and we are gold.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Carrick + Goat
for
Coburn - Pending UFA (PK & 7th D insurance) + Cory Conacher (even contract swap, send to the marlies)

Coburn is too slow for this team. It's essentially like paying 3.7 mill for a guy who really would just be another version of Polak at this point. If Coburn is dealt, it's to a team that will probably use him in their top 6.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Coburn is too slow for this team. It's essentially like paying 3.7 mill for a guy who really would just be another version of Polak at this point. If Coburn is dealt, it's to a team that will probably use him in their top 6.

Coburn is still very service able on the 3rd pairing. He's miles ahead if Polak. But Tampa will want prospects and picks back for him.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008

Pretty sure he'll be going for his career contract, just like virtually every top UFA in their late 20s has done for years and years and years. He's pretty inconsistent year-to-year throughout his career though, so I am curious what kind of contract he'll get. I'm sure someone will overpay though.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Zero interest in Coburn. Koekkoek would be interesting but we already have enough tweeners for our bottom pairing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad