2018 Free Agent and Trade Discussion Thread: The Dogs Days are over

Status
Not open for further replies.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Fourth Period isn't super reliable, but don't see it posted. Makes a lot of sense either way.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Nylander + Rosen + 2nd for Manson + 1st

then...

Liljigren for Kreider

Kreider - Matthews - Kapanen
Hyman - - Tavares - - Marner
Marleau - - - Kadri - - - Brown
Johnsson - Lindholm - Ennis/Leivo

Rielly - - - Manson
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Dermott - Ozhiganov

beefed up a fast and skilled lineup
I was reading all of these posts trading Nylander for a defenseman and thinking, "That would be such a short-sighted move when we have a guy like Liljegren in our system."

Then I saw this, and I really just don't know what to say.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
I was reading all of these posts trading Nylander for a defenseman and thinking, "That would be such a short-sighted move when we have a guy like Liljegren in our system."

Then I saw this, and I really just don't know what to say.
We have an insane amount of skill. We need size for the playoffs.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
We need development for the Playoffs. And we need skill on our blueline, and cheap talent for our future. Trading away a blue-chip prospect (in our one current position of weakness) like Liljegren for a veteran winger like Kreider would be such a back-asswards move to make, and my faith in Dubas would immediately be shaken if he were to even consider such a deal.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017

I was having this exact discussion with someone last night. There is this myth that in the playoffs you need size. What do we base this on?

Size doesn't matter when you have speed to counter it. Unless you build a team with players that have both size is a moot point. I would rather have players that are elusive and will force the bigger players to drag us down. With the PP we have we will be unstoppable.

Plus we have players that if they play their games properly can use their size just the same. Matthews, Tavares, Kadri, Hyman, Brown, Leivo, Oz, Hainsey, Marleau, are not small players. They have to not play timid and they will succeed just the same.

Reactions: stickty111

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
We need development for the Playoffs. And we need skill on our blueline, and cheap talent for our future. Trading away a blue-chip prospect (in our one current position of weakness) like Liljegren for a veteran winger like Kreider would be such a back-asswards move to make, and my faith in Dubas would immediately be shaken if he were to even consider such a deal.
It would suck to lose a prospect like Liljigren, and maybe Kreider isnt the right guy. But we have a team that could compete now, and for the next 8 years. Bringing in guys who can fit into that timeline wouldnt hurt

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Speaking of Size, an Oilers fan proposed Kassian for Carrick. The Oilers have a surplus of forwards and it would make sense.

I know a lot of you people are opposed to Grit and Toughness...but Kassian isn't just a useless goon. He's still got great skating, decent skill and toughness/size. He's a prototypical 4th line player in today's league.

We dont necessarily have to lock him in our lineup. He can be our 13th forward if need be. Bring him in against specific opponents and or injuries

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
I was having this exact discussion with someone last night. There is this myth that in the playoffs you need size. What do we base this on?

Size doesn't matter when you have speed to counter it. Unless you build a team with players that have both size is a moot point. I would rather have players that are elusive and will force the bigger players to drag us down. With the PP we have we will be unstoppable.

Plus we have players that if they play their games properly can use their size just the same. Matthews, Tavares, Kadri, Hyman, Brown, Leivo, Oz, Hainsey, Marleau, are not small players. They have to not play timid and they will succeed just the same.
I agree with you 100%, with our speed it shouldn't matter. However, with the right combination of size, speed and skill we would be on another level.

The way I look at it, Matthews is a big guy, and putting another big guy with him capable of playing the cycle game would be very beneficial

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
It would suck to lose a prospect like Liljigren, and maybe Kreider isnt the right guy. But we have a team that could compete now, and for the next 8 years. Bringing in guys who can fit into that timeline wouldnt hurt
Having a team that can compete now and for the next 8 years (I would actually suggest closer to 15) is exactly why it doesn't make any sense to trade your top prospect in your biggest position of need for a veteran winger.
Trading away guys that look to be huge parts of that decade+ of success just so you can give yourself a bit of an edge for a couple years could absolutely really, really hurt.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Connor Brown 6 feet
Zack Hyman 6 foot 1
Nazim Kadri 6 foot
Kasperi Kapanen 6 foot 1
Josh Leivo 6 foot 2
Par Lindholm 6 foot
Patrick Marleau 6 foot 2
Austin Matthews 6 foot 3
John Tavares 6 foot 1
Travis Dermott 6 foot
Jake Gardiner 6 foot 2
Ron Hainsey 6 foot 3
Igor Ozighanov 6 foot 3
Morgan Reilly 6 foot 1
Nikita Zaitsev 6 foot 2

80% of our lineup is 6 foot or greater.

Look at the Lightning Lineup in comparison:

Kilhorn 6 foot 1
Miller 6 foot 1
Palat 6 foot
Stamkos 6 foot 1
Girardi 6 foot 1
Hedmen 6 foot 6
McDonaugh 6 foot 1
Sergachev 6 foot 3

Or look at the Bruins in comparison:

Backes 6 foot 3
Bergeron 6 foot 1
Debrusk 6 foot
Donato 6 foot
Krecji 6 foot
Pasternak 6 foot
Chara 6 foot 9
McAvoy 6 foot

So that's our main competition. Where is the size advantage exactly? Its playing style that is the problem. Not size. If our guys play with more tenacity and grit to go along with their skill and speed. Its a non-issue. And I only listed the players that are 6 foot or taller for each team.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Connor Brown 6 feet
Zack Hyman 6 foot 1
Nazim Kadri 6 foot
Kasperi Kapanen 6 foot 1
Josh Leivo 6 foot 2
Par Lindholm 6 foot
Patrick Marleau 6 foot 2
Austin Matthews 6 foot 3
John Tavares 6 foot 1
Travis Dermott 6 foot
Jake Gardiner 6 foot 2
Ron Hainsey 6 foot 3
Igor Ozighanov 6 foot 3
Morgan Reilly 6 foot 1
Nikita Zaitsev 6 foot 2

Kilhorn 6 foot 1
Miller 6 foot 1
Palat 6 foot
Stamkos 6 foot 1
Girardi 6 foot 1
Hedmen 6 foot 6
McDonaugh 6 foot 1
Sergachev 6 foot 3

Backes 6 foot 3
Bergeron 6 foot 1
Debrusk 6 foot
Donato 6 foot
Krecji 6 foot
Pasternak 6 foot
Chara 6 foot 9
McAvoy 6 foot

So that's our main competition. Where is the size advantage exactly? Its playing style that is the problem. Not size. If our guys play with more tenacity and grit to go along with their skill and speed. Its a non-issue. And I only listed the players that are 6 foot or taller for each team.

Stop assaulting true believers with facts. You have to know that won't work in this day and age;)

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Speaking of Size, an Oilers fan proposed Kassian for Carrick. The Oilers have a surplus of forwards and it would make sense.

I know a lot of you people are opposed to Grit and Toughness...but Kassian isn't just a useless goon. He's still got great skating, decent skill and toughness/size. He's a prototypical 4th line player in today's league.

We dont necessarily have to lock him in our lineup. He can be our 13th forward if need be. Bring him in against specific opponents and or injuries

His contract runs through next season at 1.95M AAV, that's going to be problematic from a cap pov

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Connor Brown 6 feet
Zack Hyman 6 foot 1
Nazim Kadri 6 foot
Kasperi Kapanen 6 foot 1
Josh Leivo 6 foot 2
Par Lindholm 6 foot
Patrick Marleau 6 foot 2
Austin Matthews 6 foot 3
John Tavares 6 foot 1
Travis Dermott 6 foot
Jake Gardiner 6 foot 2
Ron Hainsey 6 foot 3
Igor Ozighanov 6 foot 3
Morgan Reilly 6 foot 1
Nikita Zaitsev 6 foot 2

Kilhorn 6 foot 1
Miller 6 foot 1
Palat 6 foot
Stamkos 6 foot 1
Girardi 6 foot 1
Hedmen 6 foot 6
McDonaugh 6 foot 1
Sergachev 6 foot 3

Backes 6 foot 3
Bergeron 6 foot 1
Debrusk 6 foot
Donato 6 foot
Krecji 6 foot
Pasternak 6 foot
Chara 6 foot 9
McAvoy 6 foot

well, a players weight also plays a role

i am not saying either way, what is what,,, but when they talk "size" it tends to be both metrics.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
His contract runs through next season at 1.95M AAV, that's going to be problematic from a cap pov

Not only that, but his chances of getting ice time is less than Carrick. Carrick is in the top 6 if Ozhiganov can not sustain himself. Kassian would need a few guys who are quite proven in the NHL (Kapanen namely) to not be ready just to get consistent ice time.

Reactions: Menzinger and Kiwi

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
he isn't on the 10 day disabled list, he's gone until at least mid-march, they have lot's of D they don't have enough high end forwards
Won't be knee jerk, they will try their young guys,if it doesn't work then maybe a deal in 10 or 20 games with other teams that have experienced bad luck as well.

Crysis

Jun 28, 2015
Imagine the situation comes to a head with Nylander and he simply won't sign for under 8 and they decide to ship him out and go all in this season with the massive cap space.

Cap hit for Stone and Duchene combined is 13.35...we have just under that right now without getting into the Horton LTIR cap space. They are both UFA as well.

Duchene - Matthews - Stone
Marleau - Tavares - Marner
Hyman - Kadri - Kapanen
Leivo - Lindholm- Brown

Johnsson/Ennis

= CUP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad