2018 Free Agent and Trade Discussion Thread: The Dogs Days are over

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
No offense, but that's about as dumb a move as we can make. A colossal waste of assets.

Your premise seem to be that with those two rentals, we'll win the cup. It doesn't work like that. People that have put a lot of research into that question talk about how even the best teams don't have more than 10-15% chance of winning the cup. There's too much parity, too much that can go wrong.

Reactions: 7even

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
Not going to front, I am a huge fan of Mark Stone. I would happily trade Willie for him if Stone wasn't hunting for a massive pay-day. Duchene can go f*** himself. He bailed on the Avs and he deserves where he's at. Mr. "I want to win" is going to go to the highest bidder and play for a bottom feeder for the rest of his career. At least he'll be rich.

Crysis

Jun 28, 2015
No offense, but that's about as dumb a move as we can make. A colossal waste of assets.

Your premise seem to be that with those two rentals, we'll win the cup. It doesn't work like that. People that have put a lot of research into that question talk about how even the best teams don't have more than 10-15% chance of winning the cup. There's too much parity, too much that can go wrong.

Not saying they should do this. Just kind of funny that Ottawa's top two UFA's combined work out to almost exactly our remaining cap space. They love Swedes too.

Duchene and Stone combined are MUCH better than Nylander. Would make this team absolutely stacked without comparison in the modern era - for one season anyway.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
No and we do not have 13m and change to spend. We need to keep almost 5m to bay for this years bonuses as we can not afford to carry them forward as we up against the cap as it is. We have a little over 9m.

Reactions: bikemike66

Crysis

Jun 28, 2015
No and we do not have 13m and change to spend. We need to keep almost 5m to bay for this years bonuses as we can not afford to carry them forward as we up against the cap as it is. We have a little over 9m.
If Stone, Duchene and Gardiner all walk at the end of the year we could afford it.

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
If Willy is truly hardballing for 8+ (and I don't think he is) and won't sign for a penny less than say 7.7, I would be in.

Stone is a defensively elite big body who scores at a higher rate. Matthews-Stone then Tavares-Marner? Get out of here. I'd definitely give him 7.7. On this day at least, Stone is better than Nylander.

We could then run a 3rd line of Kadri-Duchene and either flip Duchene at the deadline for a 1st+ or ride it into the playoffs to see what happens.

This being said, I think Willy gets 6.9-7.2 shortly.

Last edited:

LeafShark

Feb 2, 2010
I mean... What kind of rental do you even try to obtain? The 3rd line already has the talent of a 2nd line, and the 4th line has the talent of a 3rd line. The only thing I can think of is a #4 RHD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad