World Cup: 2018 FIFA World Cup Draw (10am ET on 12/1/17, FS1, TSN, etc.)

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Quite possibly the most boring groups ever. I feel for my friend who managed to get the tickets to a game in Saint Petersburg and now find out it will be a match up between Iran and Morocco.

Spain v Portugal will be nice. Russians got an easy group, I still wonder if they pull through.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
There is no real 'group of death' imo, felt FOX overrated Mexico's group, Mexico should finish 2nd in that group no questions asked, anything less would be a massive disappointment for them. H is probably the most competitive in the sense that I can see all four realistically going through. D is also competitive if the real Nigeria/Croatia show up.

I think with the change of seeding, using the FIFA Rankings rather than geography, we won't see as many tough groups as we had in the past.

A: Uruguay, Russia
B: Spain, Portugal
C: France, Denmark
D: Argentina, Nigeria
E: Brazil, Switzerland
F: Germany, Mexico
G: Belgium, England
H: Colombia, Senegal

Uruguay vs. Portugal
France vs. Nigeria
Brazil vs. Mexico
Belgium vs. Senegal
Spain vs. Russia
Argentina vs. Denmark
Germany vs. Switzerland
Colombia vs. England

Uruguay vs. France
Brazil
vs. Belgium
Spain vs. Argentina
Germany vs. Colombia

France vs. Brazil
Spain vs. Germany

FINAL: France def. Spain

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Group E is probably the most difficult considering what Costa Rica did at the last WC against three teams that were on paper better than two of the teams they'll be playing now. If Serbia makes a good selection I could see any of the teams going through with Brazil obviously being a lock.

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Groups are all pretty much equal with some interesting quartets, here are my predictions for the groups and playoffs:

Group A: Uruguay, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Egypt
Group B: Spain, Portugal, Morocco, Iran
Group C: France, Denmark, Peru, Australia
Group D: Argentina, Croatia, Iceland, Nigeria
Group E: Brazil, Switzerland, Costa Rica, Serbia
Group F: Germany, Sweden, Mexico, South Korea
Group G: Belguim, England, Tunisia, Panama
Group H: Colombia, Poland, Senegal, Japan

Playoffs:

Portugal over Uruguay
France over Croatia
Brazil over Sweden
Belguim over Poland
Spain over Russia
Argentina over Denmark
Germany over Switzerland
England over Colombia

France over Portugal
Brazil over Belguim
Spain over Argentina
Germany over England

Brazil over France
Germany over Spain

Brazil over Germany

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
The most interesting scenario in terms of creating knockout round chaos would be if Germany had their usual early game doldrums hit against Mexico. Let's say that happens and they lose. I don't think they will but let's just say.

Presumably the top bracket at least in my estimation would then contain:

Uruguay vs. Portugal
France vs. Croatia
Brazil vs. Germany
Belgium vs. Senegal

Bottom would be:

Egypt or Russia vs. Spain
Argentina vs. Denmark
Mexico vs. Costa Rica
England vs. Poland

So you know all it takes is one thing for a completely ridiculous semifinalist to occur, and there's usually more than one. I guess that could happen to almost any team though and not just Germany.

My QF: Portugal vs. France, Brazil vs. Senegal, Spain vs. Argentina, Germany vs. Poland
SF: France vs. Brazil, Germany vs. Spain
F: Brazil vs. Germany
W: Brazil

That being said we all know that the favorites never unanimously go through as is done here. There will be weird results and I don't think some of the adages about teams like Brazil really apply anymore because almost everyone they bring will have played in Europe.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Quite possibly the most boring groups ever. I feel for my friend who managed to get the tickets to a game in Saint Petersburg and now find out it will be a match up between Iran and Morocco.

Spain v Portugal will be nice. Russians got an easy group, I still wonder if they pull through.

Morocco have a number of fun talents and iran's youths are helping them becoming the most talented team in asia. Your friend should have a fun time at that match.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
There is no real 'group of death' imo, felt FOX overrated Mexico's group, Mexico should finish 2nd in that group no questions asked, anything less would be a massive disappointment for them.

Do people really think that highly of mexico? Cause I feel like all three of the other teams in our group are pretty much equal :dunno:

The most interesting scenario in terms of creating knockout round chaos would be if Germany had their usual early game doldrums hit against Mexico. Let's say that happens and they lose. I don't think they will but let's just say.

The only teams germany has dropped points against in the group stages this century have been ghana, serbia & Ireland; all of whom are extremely physical & powerful teams...which Mexico is not. It's sweden that we're more likely to falter against.

Last edited:

Eternalize

Nov 8, 2013
Sweden
lots of people picking sweden over mexico. i just dont see it. of course anything can happen but that 2nd spot in the f is also doomed with Brazil most likely being the opponent.
man this is hard.
I have seen lots of people here who are picking Mexico over Sweden. And how is it wrong to pick Sweden over Mexico? If they can advance over the Netherlands in a tough group and beat France and eliminate Italy, im pretty sure they can beat Mexico as well. Not to mention the North/Central American qualifiers aren't even close to the the competition level of the European qualifiers, advancing through the european qualification system is way more impressive.

Mexico aren't levels above Sweden, in fact i'd say they're quite even as teams.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Mexico has a lot better technical ability and speed, but yes, they are even as teams. Sweden is a hell of a lot taller and has a major set piece advantage because of it. The qualifiers don't really mean anything, neither team will have played an opponent like each other.

Mexico has also advanced from every WC since 1994, so there's a reason people are picking them. They've played in hard groups against teams like Italy, Portugal, France, Uruguay, Belgium, Netherlands, Brazil, Belgium, Croatia, they still advance. It's hard for me to not pick them with that kind of track record. Most of the time they were in groups with two of those teams.

Reactions: Disclose

Eternalize

Nov 8, 2013
Sweden
Mexico has a lot better technical ability and speed, but yes, they are even as teams. Sweden is a hell of a lot taller and has a major set piece advantage because of it. The qualifiers don't really mean anything, neither team will have played an opponent like each other.
Can't really ignore that Sweden had a tough qualification and still made it through though can you?

Would Mexico have made it through if they were in the european qualification instead? Just speculation obviously, but they wouldn't have been a sure bet, that's for sure.

As for you 2nd column, Italy hadn't missed a World Cup since 1958 before they played Sweden.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Can't really ignore that Sweden had a tough qualification and still made it through though can you?

Would Mexico have made it through if they were in the european qualification instead? Just speculation obviously, but they wouldn't have been a sure bet, that's for sure.

They both would have imo. Plenty of groups put weak teams in the playoff that they're better than, and some of the teams that qualified they're better than too. The style of football Mexico plays is perfect for beating teams like that. When they play more technical teams they usually get destroyed.

Advancing from 6 straight WC groups is a pretty good accomplishment and they're starting to have more players play in Europe, which should lead to them eventually winning some of those knockout game matchups.

Eternalize

Nov 8, 2013
Sweden
They both would have imo. Plenty of groups put weak teams in the playoff that they're better than, and some of the teams that qualified they're better than too. The style of football Mexico plays is perfect for beating teams like that. When they play more technical teams they usually get destroyed.
Most of the 1st seed teams in the playoffs were pretty strong. Sweden came in as a 2nd seed and had to face Italy. None of the potential teams Sweden could have faced were favorable opponents to be fair, just some opponents that were more reasonable to beat. Would Mexico have been a 1st seed if they were playing in Europe? Impossible to know as it all speculation and different circumstances compared to how it is now. Im not so sure though. If not, they would have faced a tough opponent that could have ultimately eliminated them.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
As for you 2nd column, Italy hadn't missed a World Cup since 1958 before they played Sweden.

Italy also didn't have a coach who won zero top flight trophies in his entire life until this qualification to be fair. Still can't believe that.

Both Mexico and Sweden are about equal, we'll see what happens. A lot depends on which players are in good form when the tournament starts too. If let's say Forsberg and Hernandez get hurt then who really knows what happens.

Eternalize

Nov 8, 2013
Sweden
Italy also didn't have a coach who won zero top flight trophies in his entire life until this qualification to be fair. Still can't believe that.

Both Mexico and Sweden are about equal, we'll see what happens. A lot depends on which players are in good form when the tournament starts too. If let's say Forsberg and Hernandez get hurt then who really knows what happens.
Doesn't really matter what Italy had and didn't have. They still had World class players at their disposal and arguably the best organized defence in international football. They should have qualified no matter who is sitting at their bench.

As for Forsbergs importance for Sweden, he's obviously the most talented player in the swedish squad. Don't think Sweden would go under without him though, as i believe he's pretty inconsistent, and he doesn't have to be on top of his game in order for Sweden to win games. Sweden have a lot of other players who, although they might not play for the best teams or in the biggest leagues, always performs while they're playing for the national team.

Disclose

WE GET THAT RENT MONEY
Aug 22, 2007
Montreal
are we gonna ignore that everyone complained about Italy's roster against Sweden?(weather injuries, suspensions or shit choices from the coach?)
im not taking anything awy from Sweden, but Mexico is not your crappy concacaf team that cant play against Europe. they do it every 4 years.

Last edited:

Disclose

WE GET THAT RENT MONEY
Aug 22, 2007
Montreal
different eras, different teams.... it doesnt mean anything today, but:

1994 – mexico finishes on top of his group against 3 european teams (Rep of Ireland, Norway, Italy)
1998 – they finish 2nd behind Netherlands with both teams at 5 points (Belgium is left behind with s.korea)
2002- they finish first with 7 points above ITALY with 5 (leaving croatia behind along with ecuador)
2006 – Portugal dominates easy group but mexico cruises too to the next round (angola, iran)
2010 – Mexico finishes 2nd behind Uruguay. leaving FRANCE in the last place, behind the HOST South Africa
2014 – mexico finishes 2nd again with the same number of points behind the HOST BRAZIL (leaving Croatia again out)

Mexico can play and they can go against European teams that didnt need that last wildcard match to make it.
i respect Sweden. good team, but dont think that game is a free 3 points. if anything... this is the most interesting match in the group asuming Germany beats all of them. this should decide it. if one of sweden or mexico beat germany the game changes, but i don tthink its gonna happen at this level
(also assuming S.Korea ends at the bottom... but anything can happen)

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad