World Cup: 2018 FIFA World Cup Draw (10am ET on 12/1/17, FS1, TSN, etc.)

Disclose

WE GET THAT RENT MONEY
Aug 22, 2007
Montreal
@Eternalize: lets stop pretending Luxemburg, Belarus and Bulgaria are all powerhouses in the world of soccer.

if you dont want an easy road, cool. but thats when your team fails. like seen 4 years ago.

im happy my team is in and i believe they can finish 2nd, cuz they always seem to kick it up a notch every world cup. but its not gonna be easy.
either way, as mentionned, the posibility of getting that 2nd spot, only to face Brazil is also scary and hopeless. ha.

Eternalize

Nov 8, 2013
Sweden
@Eternalize: lets stop pretending Luxemburg, Belarus and Bulgaria are all powerhouses in the world of soccer.

if you dont want an easy road, cool. but thats when your team fails. like seen 4 years ago.

im happy my team is in and i believe they can finish 2nd, cuz they always seem to kick it up a notch every world cup. but its not gonna be easy.
either way, as mentionned, the posibility of getting that 2nd spot, only to face Brazil is also scary and hopeless. ha.
I never said they were powerhouses though? And Bulgaria proved to be a tough away game for all the teams. France dropped points to Luxemburg. You always have at least 1 powerhouse in your group in Europe, sometimes even 2. Those teams will usually end up finishing in the top2. Out of the 8 top seeded teams in the World Cup, excluding Russia, 6 are from Europe. Outside of those you still have countries like Italy, England, the Netherlands and Croatia. That's 10 great football countries in 9 groups. Outside of those, you have a bunch of other countries that are also good.

And what do you even mean by "but that's when your team fails like 4 years ago"? You either make the World Cup or you don't. You would obviously prefer taking the easy route if possible, not taking any risks, which is something Sweden never have any luck with. No one in their right mind can blame Sweden for not making it in 2014. Based on team quality, they probably should have been there. But it seems more important for FIFA to have countries from all around the world at the World Cup rather than having as many great teams as possible there.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
South Korea is in horrendous form right now. Two wins all year, one a qualifier against Syria and another a friendly against Colombia. They played China, Colombia, Syria, Qatar, Russia, Iran, Uzbekistan, Morocco, Iraq, and Serbia this year. I wouldn't automatically write them off, but I don't see it right now. A lot of their big talents didn't develop as expected.

Korea is f***ing terrible. I have the misfortune of watching most of their games, and watching these guys try to defend is an absolute circus. Son is the only player out there that I really see as even a decent player, and he's pretty overrated because he scores long range goals. After him there's literally nobody. Every single player from the Olympic team that won Bronze pretty much bombed out, either from agents mismanaging players and sending them to non-competitive leagues such as China or KSA,or from agents mismanaging players and sending them to bottom-half EPL teams trying to play rugby.

My goal for the WC is to get a point.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
You are in an alternate reality if you don't think France dominated that game.

Did you even watch the game? I'm seriously wondering here.

Watched the entire game. You seriously wonder, because your homer safety goggles firmly protect your biased view from rational thought. Perhaps Cameroon should've been so impressed with themselves when they drew Germany 2-2 (in Germany!) just a few months before WC 2014.

Disclose

WE GET THAT RENT MONEY
Aug 22, 2007
Montreal
@Eternalize: you go so much in circles. its crazy.

be happy like i am and ill be looking forward the match this summer. you're a mess to argue with now.
the results will happen in the field. we'll figure it out then.

1-Germany
2-Mexico
3-Sweden
4-S.Korea
:sarcasm:

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Watched the entire game. You seriously wonder, because your homer safety goggles firmly protect your biased view from rational thought. Perhaps Cameroon should've been so impressed with themselves when they drew Germany 2-2 (in Germany!) just a few months before WC 2014.
Again, you miss the point. It's not about the result, it's about the play.
Curtinho said France didn't play well on the pitch. They did against the WC in Germany. They exploded Holland 4-0 also. But he seems to only count that Luxemburg game.

But YEAH, those must be biased views and irrational thoughts :facepalm:

And who has homer goggles when they say France didn't dominate that game? I know who.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
A few posters in here, come off as know it alls, and because their countries are top teams, they seem to think they know more about football.

And for some reason always seem to underrate the same teams thread after thread.

Cant wait till the day, if it ever comes, when the same teams arent in the final 4 of the WC every time...

When a few of those countries fans get taken of those high horses of theirs...

Its like listening to those morons at ESPN at times, those asshats also seem to think they knownit all, and then look like fools when proven wrong - Week after they are still underestimating the same teams, even after being disproved, and to top it off make ridiculous statements.

Eternalize

Nov 8, 2013
Sweden
@Eternalize: you go so much in circles. its crazy.

be happy like i am and ill be looking forward the match this summer. you're a mess to argue with now.
the results will happen in the field. we'll figure it out then.

1-Germany
2-Mexico
3-Sweden
4-S.Korea
:sarcasm:
How am i going in circles and how am I(!) the mess here? You are the one acting like i've said things i haven't even said. You're the one who got offended because people didn't view your team (which wasn't a surprise at all) as superior to another team. You're the one who are being absolutely ridiculous by acting like i meant Bulgaria and Belarus when i said "powerhouses", like are you even TRYING to understand? Or do you rather just hang around in your safespace where facts doesn't matter?

Im arguing against you and suddenly im apparently not happy either like "you are". Lol, yet another post where you are assuming things based on absolutely nothing. This is getting ridiculous. The state of you..

LemmyUlanov55

4th line grinder
Apr 3, 2016
A few posters in here, come off as know it alls, and because their countries are top teams, they seem to think they know more about football.
Welcome to the feel of Euros on a NA hockey board. :laugh:
But yeah, your post is spot on. Still doubt it's different anywhere else, no matter what sport it is.

Reactions: ImGoingNucks

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

And for some reason always seem to underrate the same teams thread after thread.

Cant wait till the day, if it ever comes, when the same teams arent in the final 4 of the WC every time...

When a few of those countries fans get taken of those high horses of theirs...

Its like listening to those morons at ESPN at times, those asshats also seem to think they knownit all, and then look like fools when proven wrong - Week after they are still underestimating the same teams, even after being disproved, and to top it off make ridiculous statements.

The problem is that evilo is very knowledgeable about French youth talents, so that pomposity is rooted in actual knowledge...it’s just warped by his homerism ;-)

That’s why he gets irritated when I talk about France pulling off an upset against Germany at the euros or how Germany really shouldn’t have screwed up that match even with all of the injuries & suspensions of only Jogi hadn’t screwed up the team selection so embarrassingly.

My arrogance is similarly rooted in my connections to German youth football and the fact that if Jogi were good at his job we would be heading to Russia with the goal of tying the Spanish record for consecutive titles.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
The problem is that evilo is very knowledgeable about French youth talents, so that pomposity is rooted in actual knowledge...it’s just warped by his homerism ;-)

That’s why he gets irritated when I talk about France pulling off an upset against Germany at the euros or how Germany really shouldn’t have screwed up that match even with all of the injuries & suspensions of only Jogi hadn’t screwed up the team selection so embarrassingly.

My arrogance is similarly rooted in my connections to German youth football and the fact that if Jogi were good at his job we would be heading to Russia with the goal of tying the Spanish record for consecutive titles.
And you keep on pinning that defeat on Jogi's selection without looking at DD's selection (Evra, Sagna, Sissoko, Payet, etc...). :facepalm:

And I sure hope the message you quoted wasn't directed at me because I hardly think France is going to win the WC. Just that Brazil isn't going to be the team that stops them.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
And you keep on pinning that defeat on Jogi's selection without looking at DD's selection (Evra, Sagna, Sissoko, Payet, etc...). :facepalm:

And I sure hope the message you quoted wasn't directed at me because I hardly think France is going to win the WC. Just that Brazil isn't going to be the team that stops them.

Have you forgotten our last conversation about this topic, where I tried to come up with the hypothetical best 11 for France to take on the hypothetical best 11 for germany and went into detail about how the changes to the french roster would've made you more lethal with what chances you got; but that removing Schweini & Can would've fixed our possession and prevented those weakpoints for your pressing to attack, there by leading to even fewer chances to break?

France certainly should've put up more of a fight against us in that match than they did; but even if they had, our defeat would still lie squarely at Jogi's feet because your midfield wasn't yet capable of keeping up with ours and the chances you did get came about exclusively because of the slow thinkers in our possession game getting exposed...throw in Stindl doing better with some of the openings that Müller squandered, and even at full strength that should've been a german victory.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Yeah I don't read your fantasy posts :D

Yeah our midfield is so bad. Kante, Pogba, Rabiot, Matuidi, Tolisso, Bakayoko, etc...

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Again, you miss the point. It's not about the result, it's about the play.
Curtinho said France didn't play well on the pitch. They did against the WC in Germany. They exploded Holland 4-0 also. But he seems to only count that Luxemburg game.

But YEAH, those must be biased views and irrational thoughts :facepalm:

And who has homer goggles when they say France didn't dominate that game? I know who.

No, it's you who refuse to see the point. You can correctly make your counter point to Courthino by mentioning the meaningful WCQ matches. You can incorrectly (and incessantly) make your point by mentioning a friendly in which both sides coyly hide their best intentions for 8 months away, while pretending that your team dominated a draw without providing support (other than saying it over and over and claiming someone didn't watch). Weak and biased, but no surprise. Pretend it matters if you need the boost in confidence that badly (you shouldn't as France is one of the top 3/4 teams).

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Yeah I don't read your fantasy posts :D

Yeah our midfield is so bad. Kante, Pogba, Rabiot, Matuidi, Tolisso, Bakayoko, etc...

Your midfield is great; especially with regards to mobile & physical box to boxers...though my favorites don't fit that mold: Rabiot, Sanson, Cuisance, Koziello & Lopez

...it's just not as quick thinking with the ball or difficult to press as Özil, Kroos, Gundogan, Dahoud, Kramer, Weigl, Kimmich, Geiger, Rudy, Götze, Demirbay, Havertz, Amiri, Maier & Meyer, and so not yet capable of preventing us from controlling the match yet ;-)

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
No, it's you who refuse to see the point. You can correctly make your counter point to Courthino by mentioning the meaningful WCQ matches. You can incorrectly (and incessantly) make your point by mentioning a friendly in which both sides coyly hide their best intentions for 8 months away, while pretending that your team dominated a draw without providing support (other than saying it over and over and claiming someone didn't watch). Weak and biased, but no surprise. Pretend it matters if you need the boost in confidence that badly (you shouldn't as France is one of the top 3/4 teams).
Actually you have some nerve to call people biased while saying France didn't dominate. They did.
And yes, that game can be a decent argument.

Now move on.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Your midfield is great; especially with regards to mobile & physical box to boxers...though my favorites don't fit that mold: Rabiot, Sanson, Cuisance, Koziello & Lopez

...it's just not as quick thinking with the ball or difficult to press as Özil, Kroos, Gundogan, Dahoud, Kramer, Weigl, Kimmich, Geiger, Rudy, Götze, Demirbay, Havertz, Amiri, Maier & Meyer, and so not yet capable of preventing us from controlling the match yet ;-)
You wish. France's midfield is easily (on paper) the best in the business.
Ozil's lazy, Kroos is good at short lateral passes, Gundogan is injured, rest is not comparable.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
You wish. France's midfield is easily (on paper) the best in the business.
Ozil's lazy, Kroos is good at short lateral passes, Gundogan is injured, rest is not comparable.

Maybe win the possession battle against us once before making silly homeristic claims like this; cause pressing your midfield is still much easier than winning the ball off of ours ;-)

Reactions: Deficient Mode

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Problem is that you think possession is always a good thing.
Our team is better without possession. Our quick forwards will exploit the slow german defensemen, like Mbappe abused Sule time and time again the other day.
Germany had possession in that semi final. They never were dangerous.

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
Eh, it's gunna be a while before Germany or France miss a SF again.

How do you know that? The World Cup has surprises and upsets every time. Germany is the only team who has been consistently reaching the semi-finals this century. To say that it's the same teams making it every time is objectively false. In fact, there's usually a surprise team that makes it. The World Cup is hardly predictable.

The only other team who made the semis along with Germany the past couple of tournaments isn't even qualified this time around.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Yep, I'm not sure France reaches the semis. And if they do, I hope they face Brazil because we match well against them. But that's about it. Spain, Germany, and of course upsets can knock us out any moment.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Actually you have some nerve to call people biased while saying France didn't dominate. They did.
And yes, that game can be a decent argument.

Now move on.

Move on? No, I'll stay as long as I please. This isn't your forum or even your temporary place for pompous posts. I'll stay, and you can plan on that.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00