World Cup: 2018 FIFA World Cup Draw (10am ET on 12/1/17, FS1, TSN, etc.)

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Winners 1st, RU 2nd

A - Uruguay, Egypt
B - Spain, Portugal
C - France, Denmark
D - Argentina, Iceland
E - Brazil, Costa Rica
F - Mexico, Germany
G - Belgium, England
H - Columbia, Poland

Uruguay v Portugal
France
v Iceland
Brazil v Germany
Belgium
v Poland
Spain v Egypt
Argentina v Denmark
Mexico v Costa Rica
Columbia v England

Portugal v France
Germany v Belgium
Spain
v Argentina
Mexico v England

France v Belgium
Spain v England

France v Spain

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
England - Belgium is the last game of the group stage, so they'll know which result lands them which opponent if they go through and which side of bracket they'd prefer to be.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
No, we think Russia's lack of footballing skill is enough to prevent them from moving on.
I understand Russia is not a powerhouse but Russian League is comfortably 6th in Europe and almost all our players are domestic. We just played decent games against Argentina and Spain (0-1, 3-3). We are not great but we are certainly good enough to beat Egypt and KSA

Reactions: ovikovy817

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
I have big big hopes for Belgium, always liked them - they are more mature today, so is this the year they finally make it big?

They have a truly great team, that should have done alot better already.

Jan 3, 2012
Decent draw for France. No walk in the park, but France clearly is favourites, no Spain or things like that. Peru is decent, but not overwhelming (and I'd rather have them then Uruguay). Denmark is a tough Pot 3, but beatable for us, and Australia is not the strongest pot 4 team either.

All in all, good group. Could see Denmark taking second place.

Lmao what is this

France is the best team in the world on paper (arguably) ofc Denmark is beatable.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Denmark in group with France at big tourneys since 1984:

1984 Euro's

Denmark 0 - France 1 : Goal by Platini.

1: France
2: Denmark
3: Belgium
4: Yugoslavia

1992 Euro's

Denmark 2 - France 1 : Goals by Larsen, Elstrup and Papin.

1: Sweden
3: France
4: England

1998 WC

Denmark 1 - France 2 : Goals by M.Laudrup, Djorkaeff, Petit

1: France
3: RSA
4: KSA

2000 Euro's

Denmark 0 - France 3 : Goals by: Blanc, Henry, Wiltord

1: Netherlands
2: France
3: Czech Republic
4: Denmark

2002 WC

Denmark 2 - France 0 : Goals by: Rommedahl, Thomasson

1: Denmark
2: Senegal
3: Uruguay
4: France

Conclussion, Denmark and France have been in a lot of groups together.

Been a while tho :D

Last edited:

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
England - Belgium is the last game of the group stage, so they'll know which result lands them which opponent if they go through and which side of bracket they'd prefer to be.

Does that really matter though? For both of us it's choosing between Brazil and Germany.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
I'll take a guess (1st, 2nd) -

A - Uruguay, Russia - favorable officiating helps Russia to advance
B - Spain, Portugal - no surprises here
C - France, Peru - Denmark has a chance here
D - Croatia, Argentina - not as confident in ARG, Iceland misses by tie-breaker
E - Brazil, Switzerland - no surprises here either
F - Germany, Sweden - Mexico has another letdown
G - Belgium, England - they draw, but Belgium wins on tie-breaker
H - Poland, Colombia - Poland looks strong early

That would set up -

Uruguay vs Portugal
France
vs Argentina
Brazil vs Sweden
Belgium vs Colombia
Spain vs Russia
Croatia vs Peru
Germany vs Switzerland
Poland vs England

Portugal vs France
Brazil
vs Belgium
Spain vs Croatia
Germany vs Poland

Not going to guess after that...

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
A. Russia, Uruguay, Egypt, Saudi Arabia: (Not that Egypt is a good team, but because how much Russia fails on home soil.)
B. Portugal, Spain, Iran, Morocco: (Quite easy, the Arab teams don't even stand a chance.)
C. France, Peru, Denmark, Australia: (Denmark hasn't impressed me and I think Australia if on their game can squeeze second, but the Danes do have the firepower.)
D. Argentina, Croatia, Iceland, Nigeria: (Fairly easy group, Iceland has been overachieving and Nigeria devolve into individuals during the WC.)
E. Brazil, Switzerland, Costa Rica, Serbia: (1st should easily be Brasil, but second will be harder with potentially a lot of draws.)
F. Germany, Mexico, Sweden, South Korea: (Would be a much harder group if Korea didn't have such a horrible qualifying form.)
G. Belgium, England, Tunisia, Panama: (Quite the easy group, nothing else needs to be said.)
H. Poland, Colombia, Senegal, Japan

Poland with an interesting group, I think they should get out, but it absolutely will not be easy. Colombia is one of the best teams of South America, Japan is decent, and Senegal is probably the worst African country you can face. Maybe suspect on defence, but possess the offencive pieces to do some serious damage. My choices are in bold.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Uruguay, Egypt.

Spain, Portugal.

France, Denmark.

Argentina, Croatia.

Brazil, Serbia (will be close).

Germany, Sweden.

Belgium, England.

Colombia, Poland.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
A. Russia, Uruguay, Egypt, Saudi Arabia: (Not that Egypt is a good team, but because how much Russia fails on home soil.)
B. Portugal, Spain, Iran, Morocco: (Quite easy, the Arab teams don't even stand a chance.)
C. France, Peru, Denmark, Australia: (Denmark hasn't impressed me and I think Australia if on their game can squeeze second, but the Danes do have the firepower.)
D. Argentina, Croatia, Iceland, Nigeria: (Fairly easy group, Iceland has been overachieving and Nigeria devolve into individuals during the WC.)
E. Brazil, Switzerland, Costa Rica, Serbia: (1st should easily be Brasil, but second will be harder with potentially a lot of draws.)
F. Germany, Mexico, Sweden, South Korea: (Would be a much harder group if Korea didn't have such a horrible qualifying form.)
G. Belgium, England, Tunisia, Panama: (Quite the easy group, nothing else needs to be said.)
H. Poland, Colombia, Senegal, Japan

Poland with an interesting group, I think they should get out, but it absolutely will not be easy. Colombia is one of the best teams of South America, Japan is decent, and Senegal is probably the worst African country you can face. Maybe suspect on defence, but possess the offencive pieces to do some serious damage. My choices are in bold.

Denmark has looked better than they have in years, beating Ireland 5-1 and Poland 4-0 nothing..

The Aussies look weak imo... Peru not that tough either, but admitted I know alot less about them.

France, yes they are a very good team, but I have very little faith in the Aussies..

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
I'll take a guess (1st, 2nd) -

A - Uruguay, Russia - favorable officiating helps Russia to advance

You need to watch again games from the Confederations Cup or the last 2 test matchs against Argentina and Spain.
0 decisions in our favor
but goals against from an offside and penalties gifted to the opponents.

I'm affraid that Russia will be the first host of a World Cup to not be favored by the refs.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Denmark has looked better than they have in years, beating Ireland 5-1 and Poland 4-0 nothing..
That Poland game was a anomaly, I watched it and Poland clearly didn't show up from the start. Give credit to Denmark to take advantage, but it would have been different scoreline on a different day. Not saying that Denmark is a bad team in my original post since they have the firepower to make it past the group stage, however though, I don't think they had a very good qualifying round as a team.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
That Poland game was a anomaly, I watched it and Poland clearly didn't show up from the start. Give credit to Denmark to take advantage, but it would have been different scoreline on a different day. Not saying that Denmark is a bad team in my original post since they have the firepower to make it past the group stage, however though, I don't think they had a very good qualifying round as a team.

What about the 3-2 in Poland, a small loss, that only happened because of Lewa you could say - So lets keep off the if's and but's ;) - It's always a different scoreline on a different day. IMO Denmark made sure they didn't show up.

Imo, Poland are only in POT 1 because they were smart and good enough to take advantage of the new ranking system.

Btw, Denmark beat Armenia (Not a powerhouse, I know) 4-0 right after, so it wasnt that much of a fluke.
Then an Ireland team that let in close to no goals 5-1 in a do or die game.

No, their Qualy was both good and bad, but if you knew anything about their team, youd know they were with a new coach (Having had the same coach for close to 15 years) getting to know the team, and in the midst of a rebuild.

Sorry, that 2nd place is Denmarks to loose, imo.

BTW, id rate Peru higher than AUS if anything.

Last edited:

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Very 'advantageous' group for Russia. Hope we don't see any shenanigans in those games. Don't want to be prejudiced but there's plenty of precedent

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Am I the only one worried about Russian hooligans being on home turf??

Those guys are f***ing nuts....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad